Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
My question is about Christian theocracy and if we as Christians should try to force the secular world to submit to Christ by enforcing sin as crime. For example, let’s assume a same sex couple, a divorced couple and a unequally yoked couple all want to get married. Should we criminalize it to prevent it from happening or is that going beyond out duty as Christians?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question is about Christian theocracy and if we as Christians should try to force the secular world to submit to Christ by enforcing sin as crime. For example, let’s assume a same sex couple, a divorced couple and a unequally yoked couple all want to get married. Should we criminalize it to prevent it from happening or is that going beyond out duty as Christians?
Every pond has it’s own ecosystem, so how could laws be formulated to be flexible?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Theocracy is when God Himself is the Head of a nation. Ancient Israel was one such theocratic nation until a King was insisted on by the people. What you are alluding to is Dominionism created by man and not commanded by our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i can’t tell if you think Jesus wants Christian’s to enforce theocracy?
Your avatar shows that you understand networking of root systems ( I have that same book ;) Where I live the trees have laminated root disease that makes the forest dangerous to walk in on windy days. The trees are being felled but replaced somewhere. I’m not sure where, we had 19 felled here and I haven’t seen where they have replanted. But as you can imagine the root system is healthiest when the leaves and roots are balanced.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That's pretty much the way life was in the West for well over one thousand years. Looking at homosexuality as an example, it was punishable by death as late as 1840 in Florida. The last execution for homosexuality in Europe was around 1830 or so. Thomas Jefferson advocated castration as punishment for it rather than the death penalty.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's pretty much the way life was in the West for well over one thousand years. Looking at homosexuality as an example, it was punishable by death as late as 1840 in Florida. The last execution for homosexuality in Europe was around 1830 or so. Thomas Jefferson advocated castration as punishment for it rather than the death penalty.
To be "under one's thumb" means to be under that person's control. When did that go out?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For example, let’s assume a same sex couple, a divorced couple and a unequally yoked couple all want to get married.
If you have a Biblical theocracy, it is possible these issues would not come up.

In the Bible we have rules which can prevent people from getting to the point of these problems. For example >

"Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain." (Philippians 2:14-16)

If you get strong in love so you do not argue and complain, love can make us able to do well in our relating so we know how to get into and stay in a good marriage. God's love gives us sense to tell the difference about who to marry, and how to stay in marriage.

Love gives us self control against arguing, and contentment so we do not complain. And this makes it "hard" to break up and hurt each other, plus our good example can help children to grow up knowing how to relate so they can get in a good marriage.

So, in case you were to have rules, in a theocracy, you would start with crimes which can help produce children who have bad relating. You would not only rule against end-product problems like divorce, but you would start with contributing crimes like the abuse of arguing and the degradation of complaining and its bitterness.

And mainly you would depend on good example, not only on rules >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My question is about Christian theocracy and if we as Christians should try to force the secular world to submit to Christ by enforcing sin as crime.

I suspect you'd have to conquer it first.
At any rate, my answer is No. But anyone who wants to conquer themselves is invited to do so by Christ.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
A Theocracy is when God Himself is the Head of a nation. Ancient Israel was one such theocratic nation until a King was insisted on by the people. What you are alluding to is Dominionism created by man and not commanded by our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Blessings.

im referring to theocracy and seeing what peoples opinions are on it.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think our efforts should be to promote restraint from sin and to discourage people from engaging in it. I don’t think that criminalization is the way Christ intended for us to enforce God’s commandments except for cases where it can cause harm to others. So on these particular cases that you’ve mentioned here I don’t believe that criminalization should be implemented but on other issues like abortion I believe criminalization is justifiable because it involves the death of an innocent third party.

Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Your avatar shows that you understand networking of root systems ( I have that same book ;) Where I live the trees have laminated root disease that makes the forest dangerous to walk in on windy days. The trees are being felled but replaced somewhere. I’m not sure where, we had 19 felled here and I haven’t seen where they have replanted. But as you can imagine the root system is healthiest when the leaves and roots are balanced.

i have several books on the mycorrhizal networks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Blessings.
That’s the study of the shift from Judges and the not so silent years of what came after Deborah’s time. Following that was the sacrificial daughter that another judge condemned. That was the catalyst for the reform.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i have several books on the mycorrhizal networks.
From there I went to Chrysalis Maria Sibyl Merian the secrets of Metamorphosis and found that forestry was as or more involved in politics as every other gvmnt office.

Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It does not help sinners to merely make sins illegal by worldly governmental laws. We all need during this life a real change of heart (a "new heart"), to be 'born anew', redeemed, and that's the only thing that can actually help sinners.

So, for example, when the United States enacted Prohibition (* see footnote at end) to end alcohol sales, in the 1920s -- and drunkenness is listed in the Bible as sin -- that did not make the people less sinful, or not for long.

Soon enough, people that wanted to get drunk were able to get alcohol and get drunk anyway, but more -- organized criminals began to use alcohol sales as a way to get rich, and criminal activity increased.

The law lead to more evil, not less.

The only way to help humanity is through telling people the good news, the gospel of Jesus Christ.
----------------

* -- The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution–which banned the manufacture, transportation and sale of intoxicating liquors–ushered in a period in American history known as Prohibition. Prohibition was ratified by the states on January 16, 1919 and officially went into effect on January 17, 1920, with the passage of the Volstead Act. Despite the new legislation, Prohibition was difficult to enforce. The increase of the illegal production and sale of liquor (known as “bootlegging”), the proliferation of speakeasies (illegal drinking spots) and the accompanying rise in gang violence and other crimes led to waning support for Prohibition by the end of the 1920s. In early 1933, Congress adopted a resolution proposing a 21st Amendment to the Constitution that would repeal the 18th. The 21st Amendment was ratified on December 5, 1933, ending Prohibition.
Prohibition

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0