Is celibacy the viable option after ending an adulterous remarriage?

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My point is, that you are constructing a different law based on the Gospel of Matthew, and claiming that your law is better than the law that you find in the Gospel of Luke. I oppose that argument, by giving this analogy. Thanks for the conversation.

Im not constructing another law. Look at what it says in Luke, it says that we must hate our father, mother and children. Mathew says that we must not love them more than God. See the difference? WE are not supposed to hate anyone. We love others as our self. We love even our enemies. ITs not about making 2 different laws, but instead is about understanding the true intent of the one law.

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Seems like he said adultery goes to hell. There is no forgiveness.
Can you tell minute and second where he says it?
I do not believe so. I do believe that in the blood of Jesus is resource to cleanse from defilement. So it is possible to be cleansed from the sin of adultery if there is repentance.
But for your edification, I do recommend to study the power of Jesus blood to cleanse from sins.

Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell minute and second where he says it?
I do not believe so. I do believe that in the blood of Jesus is resource to cleanse from defilement. So it is possible to be cleansed from the sin of adultery if there is repentance.
But for your edification, I do recommend to study the power of Jesus blood to cleanse from sins.

Sorry...I can't remember the minute and second where he says it unless I watch again. I hope I'm wrong though.

I take personal interest in Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage as I'm doing a Christian Ethic paper on this.

There are two school of thoughts on this topic. Some to the extreme of if you remarried even permitted under the Biblical context while your ex, who has remarried, is still alive, you are committing adultery and denied entry to His Kingdom. Hence, celibacy is the the only option if you divorce.

I have actually started a thread on this earlier: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/adultery-eternal-condemnation.7951335/

The more I read and the more research I carry out, the more confusing it is.

Worst still, a good friend of mine, a seeker of Lord, just divorced his wife a few days ago after finding out his wife has been having affairs for the last two years!

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
There are two school of thoughts on this topic. Some to the extreme of if you remarried even permitted under the Biblical context while your ex, who has remarried, is still alive, you are committing adultery and denied entry to His Kingdom. Hence, celibacy is the the only option if you divorce.
Interesting project. This is my position, as you have probably guessed from previous posts.

What is it that you consider "permitted under the biblical context"?
You see, if really God has given a permission in the Bible, then he will stand by his word on judgment day. I cannot make it to be otherwise. God will stand by his word. Well, God IS his word
However, we should be careful not to take as a permission something that is not a permission. So what defines your permissible context?

Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting project. This is my position, as you have probably guessed from previous posts.

What is it that you consider "permitted under the biblical context"?
You see, if really God has given a permission in the Bible, then he will stand by his word on judgment day. I cannot make it to be otherwise. God will stand by his word. Well, God IS his word
However, we should be careful not to take as a permission something that is not a permission. So what defines your permissible context?

Sorry...dinner time just now. I'm seconded to work in China, a different time zone than yours.

My understanding is that marriage is a covenant and is not allowed to be broken. However, due to hard heart of people, Moses, Jesus and Paul allows divorce. I think you have also gave your input in the other thread on biblical permissible remarriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hm ... maybe it really is worse than death, then ...
Interestingly, your response is almost the same as the disciples, in Matthew 19:10 - "His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry."

Is it really worse than death? Some say, that marriage is a really good instrument how to die to self :)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Is the OP assuming that every time a person remarries after a divorce that they are commiting adultery? What if the marriage dissolved because of the ex-spouse's infidelity? What if the ex abandoned the marriage? Is moving on with your life still adultery?
yoour question needs to be more specific.
for instance:
what was the disposition of the previous marriages?
in the case of infidelity, that is a civil question, which does not touch the question of whether the marriage itself was cannonical.
in the case of abandonment, again, it's a civil question and has no effect on the cannonical question.
is moving on still adultery depends on the circumstances of the first marriage.

so yea, it gets complicated.

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟15,948.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For anybody that calls himself a christian or follower of Christ, there is no place

for divorce or remarriage. There are no exemption clauses in the scriptures for a

believer. You are married until death separates in God's eyes.

Any Christian that remarried while the former spouse is still alive, is living in adultery.

And the scriptures is clear, no adulterers will enter the kingdom of God.

Unless you repent from this sin of adultery , turn away from it, leave the adulterous

relationship behind, you cannot enter the kingdom of God.

To ask God to forgive you for living in an adulterous relationship , and then continuing in

that relationship, is not repentance, no matter how much you want it to be.

Scriptures are quite clear , that unless we forsake our wicked ways, the Lord will not

receive us.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this SIN is gone out of control amongst christians, and unless it

is repented of, there is no kingdom of God for you.

Seek God on this with a pure heart and HE will reveal these Truths.

Devil is a master of deception and has a lot of experience

Narrow is the gate and hard the road that leads to life, and few that find it.

May God open our eyes and instill HIS FEAR within us.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For anybody that calls himself a christian or follower of Christ, there is no place

for divorce or remarriage. There are no exemption clauses in the scriptures for a

believer. You are married until death separates in God's eyes.

Any Christian that remarried while the former spouse is still alive, is living in adultery.

And the scriptures is clear, no adulterers will enter the kingdom of God.

Unless you repent from this sin of adultery , turn away from it, leave the adulterous

relationship behind, you cannot enter the kingdom of God.

To ask God to forgive you for living in an adulterous relationship , and then continuing in

that relationship, is not repentance, no matter how much you want it to be.

Scriptures are quite clear , that unless we forsake our wicked ways, the Lord will not

receive us.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this SIN is gone out of control amongst christians, and unless it

is repented of, there is no kingdom of God for you.

Seek God on this with a pure heart and HE will reveal these Truths.

Devil is a master of deception and has a lot of experience

Narrow is the gate and hard the road that leads to life, and few that find it.

May God open our eyes and instill HIS FEAR within us.

So, let's say a woman leaves her husband for another man, and they have no children. The man marries another woman, comes to Christ, and has children with her. You're saying that the right thing for the man to do is to abandon his family to try to reconcile with his first wife or wait out her death? That is affront to everything Jesus taught!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟15,948.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, let's say a woman leaves her husband for another man, and they have no children. The man marries another woman, comes to Christ, and has children with her. You're saying that the right thing for the man to do is to abandon his family to try to reconcile with his first wife or wait out her death? That is affront to everything Jesus taught!

Harsh isn't it.

Either you love the Lord with all your heart and keep His word---enter kingdom of God.

Or

You can create another Jesus, where we don't have to keep His word----no kingdom entry.

Very simple , it is your choice.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Harsh isn't it.

Either you love the Lord with all your heart and keep His word---enter kingdom of God.

Or

You can create another Jesus, where we don't have to keep His word----no kingdom entry.

I agree fully with you, I can see. It is not the the way is hard to find, but the walk is hard. That is how I understand it. And then there is a lot of unclear teaching out there.
So do you have an opinion on this: after leaving an adulterous remarriage, can you then go into another (not adulterous) marriage?

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Harsh isn't it.

Or

Not only harsh, but contrary to Scripture as has been pointed out several times in this thread.

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟15,948.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree fully with you, I can see. It is not the the way is hard to find, but the walk is hard. That is how I understand it. And then there is a lot of unclear teaching out there.
So do you have an opinion on this: after leaving an adulterous remarriage, can you then go into another (not adulterous) marriage?

If your only " marriage" was to someone who was divorced , then before God you were not married

but living in an adulterous affair.

If you have repented (turned away from this wickedness) , then this sin is forgiven,

and you are free to marry according to scriptures.

I am of the firm opinion that if we have completely surrendered our life (died to our right to live

our life as we see fit), then it is totally up to the Lord whether HE wants you married or whether

you remain single.

Seek Him on this and in due time HE will let you know.

And if it is to be , trust HIM that HE is providing the right spouse for you.

Hope this helps.

May God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0