✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm new to this forum

I'm not yet baptized but I feel like I'm receiving holy spirit sometimes when I pray.

So my question is is baptism necessary to receive holy spirit..

Kindly answer

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
Most churches/denominations would say "no."

Some of them would say that the Confirmation rite at a later time is what does this; and others would say that a "Baptism with the Holy Spirit" is a personal experience that's separate from (water) Baptism that makes you a member of Christ's church. Still others view Baptism as simply a symbol of your commitment to the Lord and that nothing in itself is conferred upon you by going through the ceremony.

What you wrote here suggests to me that you might be inclined in your thinking towards the churches in the second group that I mentioned. I'm just speaking of a perspective, however, because you have not been baptized yet, so what you have sensed while in prayer wouldn't actually have been a "Baptism with (or of) the HS."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say yes you must be water baptized first. Jesus said we must be born of water and the spirit.

There are different interactions that you can have with the Holy Spirit. It's possible that you are feeling the Holy Spirit with out yet being baptized in the Spirit. Being baptized means you are clothed with the Spirit. Simply feeling the spirits chastening can be done by anyone who is sensitive to the promptings.

Upvote 0

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I'm new to this forum
I'm not yet baptized but I feel like I'm receiving holy spirit sometimes when I pray.
So my question is is baptism necessary to receive holy spirit..
Kindly answer

They are two separate events and one is not dependent on the other. Believers in Acts chapter 10 received the baptism of the holy spirit before they were baptized in water which was opposite to the men in Acts chapter 19.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,985.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Welcome to the forums.

Baptize means immense and ...union ...and identification.

"Of the doctrine of baptisms ,..." Heb 6:2

3 baptisms; specifically:
1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is baptism for salvation (blood baptism)
(Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27)

After baptism for salvation, then Spirit or Water baptism is next:
2 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism)
(Matt 3:11;Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16)
3 - By other believers, water baptism (Matt 28:19)

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Basic info from http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/supernatural/17420-receiving-the-holy-spirit Robert Morris, Gateway Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks all for your replies..though there is contradiction in your replies, I believe God has blessed me with holy spirit

There may be some disagreement on our part, but I think there probably was also some uncertainty here over just what you were asking us. Few of us, for example, would speak of "receiving holy spirit" as though the term means something like a feeling, insight, or an emotional lift.

For a fuller answer to a complicated issue, it probably would be best if you had a conversation with a Christian priest or minister in which you two could spend a little time working together on understanding this matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: bangmegafan
Upvote 0

bangmegafan

May 31, 2016
India
✟42,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There may be some disagreement on our part, but I think there probably was also some uncertainty here over just what you were asking us. Few of us, for example, would speak of "receiving holy spirit" as though the term means something like a feeling, insight, or an emotional lift.

For a fuller answer to a complicated issue, it probably would be best if you had a conversation with a Christian priest or minister in which you two could spend a little time working together on understanding this matter.
Thanks for your advise

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums