Is astral projection moral? (from a christian perspective)

Is astral travel morally right?

• I am christian, and I believe so.

• I am christian, and I dont think it is right.

• I have another religon and I believe it is fine.

• I have a different religon and I dont think its right.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teh Wiccan

The Balance Of Passion
Jul 28, 2003
Visit site
✟534.00
Faith
Pagan
Astral Projection, astral travel, Out Of Body Experiences,, it goes by many names. It has happened twice that I know of in the bible, Paul experienced it (2nd Corinthians 12:1 thru 4) and Moses did. Moses also experienced it, (passage unknown, i did see it once before.)

Astral travel is, in essence, when your spirit temporarily leaves your body and you travel into the physical or spirit world.

So is something like this alright, if it is mentioned in the bible?
(Under the assumpption it exists)

gehenna

~::wandering::~
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
✟205.00
Leaving your body, while I don't believe it really happens, would not be a good thing to do. If you believe in demonic spirits at all, it would be a good way to open yourself up. Sorry, it's way too new-agy for me.
I'm not against meditation though, which some compare or relate to astral projection. It's a way of getting focused and relaxed.

Reactions: Teh Wiccan
Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Astral projection is a phenomenon in which a person senses that they have left their body to travel to distant places, as if their soul or spirit had temporarily departed. The person may have visual and auditory sensations as well.

Psychologist have discovered, with the use of CT scans and MRIs, that this sensation is caused by a minor seizure in the region of the brain above the right ear. Every person in the study had experienced astral projection prior to the study and knew the feelings and could report to the researchers immediately following an episode. Some could even induce an astral projection at will. When people who were having an episode were examined with modern medical equipment, it was discovered that everyone of them was having a minor seizure in the area above the right ear. No exceptions.

Doctors went further and asked the people who could induce astral projection to do so, and to go down the hall into a specific room and come back and report what they saw. None of them could accurately report what was actually in the room. Not even close!

Scientists concluded that astral projection is really the sensations of a particular kind of brain seizure that cause the person to believe that she/he has left their body, and not an actual parting of body and soul.

When they treated the people for the seizures, the astral projection went away. When they stopped the medication, the astral projections returned.

Astral projection--it's just a seizure, man. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
lambslove said:
Astral projection is a phenomenon in which a person senses that they have left their body to travel to distant places, as if their soul or spirit had temporarily departed. The person may have visual and auditory sensations as well.

Psychologist have discovered, with the use of CT scans and MRIs, that this sensation is caused by a minor seizure in the region of the brain above the right ear. Every person in the study had experienced astral projection prior to the study and knew the feelings and could report to the researchers immediately following an episode. Some could even induce an astral projection at will. When people who were having an episode were examined with modern medical equipment, it was discovered that everyone of them was having a minor seizure in the area above the right ear. No exceptions.

Doctors went further and asked the people who could induce astral projection to do so, and to go down the hall into a specific room and come back and report what they saw. None of them could accurately report what was actually in the room. Not even close!

Scientists concluded that astral projection is really the sensations of a particular kind of brain seizure that cause the person to believe that she/he has left their body, and not an actual parting of body and soul.

When they treated the people for the seizures, the astral projection went away. When they stopped the medication, the astral projections returned.

Source please.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste teh wiccan,

though i'm guessing you meant to spell it "the" instead of "teh" :) but no matter.

though you've asked in the topic for Christians to respond on the issue of morality, i shall offer this.

i do not think it's a question of morality at all. in many respects the TCM movement has co-opted the concept of astral projection and subverted it into their own form and formulation. that part is morally suspect, in my view, but astral projection, in and of itself is not.

another poster did bring up a valid issue.. and one that should be properly considered. the poster brought up the concept of demons and initmated at the vulnerable nature of the astral traveller. this is a valid concern even should not not ascribe to a Christian interpetation of the "demons" being mentioned.

if you have had instruction in this technique, i feel confident that your teacher would have given you the proper teaching in this regard. if you have not had formal instruction, i would suggest that you exercise caution as you continue your exploration.....and try to find a guide... it really helps quite a bit.

gassho.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Hi Teh Wiccan :)

I did study and practice astral projection years ago.
It never came very easy for me. It took a lot of concentrated effort including meditation and deep trances just to prepare for it.

I never got very far either..LOL. I managed to walk around my bedroom. I may have gotten further but those episodes tended to have a more dreamlike quality to them, so I can't be certain.

But it's the journey not the destination that is important. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaptureTicketHolder

Selectively Agreeable
Jun 24, 2003
Puget Sound Area
Visit site
✟15,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Had your poll included:

Im a Christian and I leave those things up to GOD

I would have voted. It seems to me that trips to the "spirit world" is dependent on Him, and Him alone; which takes such vacation planning out of my hands.

I am reminded of The Christ Clone Trilogy in reading this string.

That book series had a great deal to do with this concept of "out of body" experiences. The series takes on a non-believer's outlook of the endtimes and explains at great lengh this meditation tactic and where it leads. In that series, the anti-christ has great fun with this tactic.

Putting this book set aside, I can not see how such experience offers benefit to the Christian life or mindset.

Maybe you know of something I do not in this regard?

Upvote 0

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
lambslove said:

There have also been studies/events that say just the opposite. You will always find something to go along with YOUR opinion. There also has been a part of the brain that has been found that induces strong spiritual belief, so christianity and other beliefs are all abnormalities too, if you believe everything you read.

As for the topic at hand, my methods aren't acceptable on this board so PM me if you want to chat about it.

Upvote 0