Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we are angry at another person it is a sin but is all anger a sin? If a terrorist kills someone we are supposed to hate the sin and not the sinner. Anger towards the terrorist is natural but not necessarily a good thing. What if a dog bites someone? The dog didn't sin so we don't have a sin to hate. Would it be a sin to be angry at the dog?

• Optimistic
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If we are angry at another person it is a sin but is all anger a sin? If a terrorist kills someone we are supposed to hate the sin and not the sinner. Anger towards the terrorist is natural but not necessarily a good thing. What if a dog bites someone? The dog didn't sin so we don't have a sin to hate. Would it be a sin to be angry at the dog?

Re: anger and sin....

What comes to mind for me is Jesus when He was reacting to the money-changers.

Was He angry?
Did He sin?

By the way, this would be an excellent study, wouldn't it?

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have heard of righteous anger and how its not a sin. But at times I'm not sure how to tell what kind of anger is flowing through me. I'd rather avoid anger all together. Not that we can be 100% perfect and never be angry, we are still human after all.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have heard of righteous anger and how its not a sin. But at times I'm not sure how to tell what kind of anger is flowing through me. I'd rather avoid anger all together. Not that we can be 100% perfect and never be angry, we are still human after all.

Then there's still the issue of Jesus and what He did regarding the money changers.

Did He sin?

• Prayers
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think righteous anger will have us caring about the person.

When God has been angry, in the Bible, He always does what makes things better.

This is a lot to think about, meditate on, and study, isn't it?

The bottom line is:

Is "anger" a sin?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we are angry at another person it is a sin but is all anger a sin?
Anger in of itself is not sin, nor is being angry with another person necessarily sin. Anger is the God given emotion for correction. When a wrong occurs, anger motivates us to action for correction. The word, "emotions", means "those feelings that move us", or "motivate" us. Sin is found in the "how" and "why" we anger.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ephesians 4:26
Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,

Anger becomes sinful if allowed to fester and simmer. If you settle the issue quickly (not letting the sun go down) it is not sinful.

• Winner
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Sin" is sliding into doing things your way rather than God's Way. Do not let the sun set with you still abiding in anger. Peacefully make amends with the other person, or, within yourself, the terrorist, the dog. If you don't, you'll most likely toss and turn during the night.

Pray about each occurrence of the temptation to do things your way. Pray for God's Love to embrace the other person, even the terrorist, even the dog, even the dog's owner.

Your avoidance of sin does not excuse the other person from secular legal action, or protect the terrorist from a bullet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bottom line is:

Is "anger" a sin?
It is sin if it is self-righteous and uncaring and unforgiving.

But because we love we can be angry, because we care about the wrong people and have compassion for them. In anger which is right, I think, Brinny, we can be angry but our anger helps to clear us so we are prepared to do what is good about the problem. The anger which is not sin will not get us away from God and away from staying prayerful.

We do have that scripture which says to be angry and not to sin. I understand this means to be angry about the evil in this world and therefore do not sin. I don't think it means it is all right to be overpowered by anger and this is ok as long as it stops before we go to sleep. But it means anger which has us reacting against evil, by not sinning.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anger itself is not a sin (obviously, since Jesus was angry with the money-changers).

But anger is a good opportunity to look into the roots of our feelings. If we are offended or angry that someone has disrespected us or in some cases if they offend our "rights" ... it is often a manifestation of pride, and the pride should be dealt with.

And a certain tendency to anger or wrath is usually a problem with the disposition - a lack of peace, patience, and love. Again, something to examine, and cultivate virtues instead of vices.

It's impossible to give a blanket answer though.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

But because we love we can be angry, because we care about the wrong people and have compassion for them. In anger which is right, I think, Brinny, we can be angry but our anger helps to clear us so we are prepared to do what is good about the problem. The anger which is not sin will not get us away from God and away from staying prayerful.

We do have that scripture which says to be angry and not to sin. I understand this means to be angry about the evil in this world and therefore do not sin. I don't think it means it is all right to be overpowered by anger and this is ok as long as it stops before we go to sleep. But it means anger which has us reacting against evil, by not sinning.

This would be "sin", would it not?

There IS the issue of "justice" and a'righting "injustice", as you have mentioned.

Now here's a "stickler"....if there is no reaction, caring, compassion to the one victimized by injustice and/or evil, this is a "sin", is it not?

It's the sin of "omission".

This would be a phenomenal study, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Anger itself is not a sin (obviously, since Jesus was angry with the money-changers).

But anger is a good opportunity to look into the roots of our feelings. If we are offended or angry that someone has disrespected us or in some cases if they offend our "rights" ... it is often a manifestation of pride, and the pride should be dealt with.

And a certain tendency to anger or wrath is usually a problem with the disposition - a lack of peace, patience, and love. Again, something to examine, and cultivate virtues instead of vices.

It's impossible to give a blanket answer though.

Is there ever a time when not getting angry would be a "sin"?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Psalm 4:4
Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

James 1:20
for man's anger does not bring about the righteousness that God desires.

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be subject to the fire of hell.

"Be angry, yet do not sin." Do not let the sun set upon your anger,

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Psalm 4:4
Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

James 1:20
for man's anger does not bring about the righteousness that God desires.

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be subject to the fire of hell.

"Be angry, yet do not sin." Do not let the sun set upon your anger,

Yet there's still the question of Jesus and His reaction to the money-changers.

Would you be so kind as to address that?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, @brinny, I would say there can be the sin of omission.

Anger can take us and our attention away from doing the good which God wants. In such a case, the anger involves active sin, including allowing anger to trespass in us. And there would be the omission of all which love would have us doing instead.

So, even if there might be an acceptable reason to get angry, there could be much better to be doing. And we have >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

Instead of getting sidetracked, even with anger for which there is an acceptable reason, it can be more efficient to proceed forward in "longsuffering" which has us keeping on with someone and maybe trying to help the person do better, Brinny.

For an example, I might have reason why I could get angry that my lady friend is buying low-quality products which then prove themselves to be a waste and which she discards or neglects. But it can be better to be lovingly encouraging with her to get what is worth buying, the first time.

And I think God is in control of if He gets into anger or not. So, I think with God we can decide if we are going to go with anger or with "longsuffering" or simply for our attention to go elsewhere without concerning ourselves with a wrong thing. After all, there always are many wrong things which we could be getting angry about, in this evil world; so it might be good to just invest ourselves and our attention with all the good we can do with God :)

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, @brinny, I would say there can be the sin of omission.

Anger can take us and our attention away from doing the good which God wants. In such a case, the anger is active sin, including allowing anger to trespass in us. And there would be the omission of all which love would have us doing instead.

So, even if there might be an acceptable reason to get angry, there could be much better to be doing. And we have >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

Instead of getting sidetracked, even with anger for which there is an acceptable reason, it can be more efficient to proceed forward in "longsuffering" which has us keeping on with someone and maybe trying to help the person do better, Brinny.

For an example, I might have reason why I could get angry that my lady friend is buying low-quality products which then prove themselves to be a waste and which she discards or neglects. But it can be better to be lovingly encouraging with her to get what is worth buying, the first time.

And I think God is in control of if He gets into anger or not. So, I think with God we can decide if we are going to go with anger or with "longsuffering" or simply for our attention to go elsewhere without concerning ourselves with a wrong thing. After all, there always are many wrong things which we could be getting angry about, in this evil world; so it might be good to just invest ourselves and our attention with all the good we can do with God :)

There's still the question (and blanket statement/question, if you will) of:

Is "anger" a sin?

It appears that there is a knee-jerk reaction to the mere word "anger". Yet Jesus Himself demonstrated it.

The question remains:

Did Jesus "sin"?

Upvote 0