Is an Open Border Policy a Biblical Mandate?

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to the ancient traditions of the Coptic Church (the indigenous Christians of Egypt since the time St. Mark the Evangelist established a base of apostolic and missionary operations in Alexandria, turning Alexandria into one of the great early centers of Christianity) the Holy Family in their travels to and within Egypt, experienced many things--including being welcomed, cared for, fed, and provided welfare by locals. Where they were safe from the threats and dangers of Herod--because of God's Providence operating in and through Egyptian locals.

It's not as though the Holy Family fled to Egypt and then hid in a cave all alone until they returned--they would have, even if some of the traditions and stories contain elaborations and legendary accretions (such as the Child Jesus hallowing out a spring by His Divine power), it would be pretty obvious that for a family with a small Child they would rely on the kindness, compassion, and hospitality of strangers in the land of their refuge.

As for the returning part. Yes, the Holy Family did return to Palestine after their refuge; even as many who cross the southern border come to work for a short period of time, and send money back home, and often return home themselves. Sure, lots of people cross, and stay--to make a better life for themselves and their family in a new place. But many are also temporary workers, they don't stay, but they work and provide, and then return.

Perhaps a better comparison might be the Exodus? Where according to the Bible up to a million people, Hebrews and a "mixed multitude" with them, fled Egypt following Moses into the desert of Sinai, where they received God's Torah, becoming the Jewish people; they--or rather their children--would after forty years in the wilderness enter into Canaan. And, at least according to the Bible, that was an invasion. Perhaps you recall how God ordered the Israelites to circle Jericho and the walls came tumbling down. Or perhaps you recall the conflicts with the locals, such as the Amalakites, who had harassed and assaulted the Israelites while in the Negev just past Sinai, and eventually resulting in the somewhat infamous quote in Scripture where the Amalakites are to be utterly destroyed and erased from under heaven.

While I am speaking entirely tongue-in-cheek here, given what I often hear from many, America is practicing a multitude of abominations, with comparisons made to Egypt, Canaanites (often a comparison is made between abortion and the cult of Molech), and Babylon; so perhaps if there is an invasion from the southern border, who is to say it isn't the Divine Will of God who is putting America under judgment for her multitude of abominations, isn't it written,

"You are the daughter of your mother, who loathed her husband and her children; and you are the sister of your sisters, who loathed their husbands and their children. Your mother was a Hittite, and your father and Amorite. And your elder sister is Samaria, who lived with her daughters. Not only did you walk in their ways and do according to their abominations; within a very little time you were more corrupt than they in all your ways. As I live, declares the Lord God, your sister Sodom and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom; she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were arrogant and did an abomination before Me. So I removed them, when I saw it. Samaria has not committed half of your sins. You have committed more abominations than they, and have made your sisters appear righteous by all the abominations that you have committed. Bear your disgrace, you also, for you have intervened on behalf of your sisters. Because of your sins, in which you acted more abominably than they, they are more in the right than you. So be ashamed, you also, and bear your disgrace, for you have made your sisters appear righteous." - Ezekiel 16:45-52

We could go full-biblical: America is an intoxicated harlot drunk on wealth and power, greater empires than she have been taken out for less. Perhaps, if there is an invasion, it is because America has been an unrighteous hell-bent empire that has grown fat on consumption, for her great mistreatment of the poor and hungry in her midst, because her leaders have grown fat on the abuse of the weak and the needy, and the day of her judgment has finally drawn near.

Do I actually believe that? Well no. But, if we are going full-biblical when talking about modern day America...

-CryptoLutheran
Many legends or traditions about the Holy Family have been handed down. We don't know which ones are true and which ones are not. Coptic Christians do put themselves in a good light when they advocate their version of their country's history. I think citizens of every country do this. :)

The government in Egypt in those days did not forcefully take money from the tax-paying Egyptians to pay for its philanthropy towards the Holy Family while neglecting the needs of its own citizens. Instead, if this tradition is true, individuals used their own resources to care for them.

Why do you you think ancient Jerusalem had three walls surrounding it? I think these walls were a fortified stronghold to keep invaders out so that its citizens were protected from harm.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Many legends or traditions about the Holy Family have been handed down. We don't know which ones are true and which ones are not. Coptic Christians do put themselves in a good light when they advocate their version of their country's history. I think citizens of every country do this. :)

The government in Egypt in those days did not forcefully take money from the tax-paying Egyptians to pay for its philanthropy towards the Holy Family while neglecting the needs of its own citizens. Instead, if this tradition is true, individuals used their own resources to care for them.

Why do you you think ancient Jerusalem had three walls surrounding it? I think these walls were a fortified stronghold to keep invaders out so that its citizens were protected from harm.

I have no idea what the welfare programs of ancient Roman Egypt looked like, that's not a subject I am equipped to comment on.

However, the welfare programs of Israel, as commanded by God in His Divine Law given through Moses, are well documented in Holy Scripture itself; in which, yes, the sojourner was to be well-treated, granted hospitality, and taken care of. There is an entire section of Deuteronomy, as just one example, dedicated to wealth redistribution (tithing) for the poor, the hungry, and the foreigner (see Deuteronomy 14:22-29).

So, again, I've no idea how things were done early on after Rome's eastern acquisitions and conquests and Ptolemaic Egypt came under Roman hegemony; but God's Nation, ancient Israel, was commanded directly by the Almighty and Eternal Creator of the Universe to pull together their resources--with government (i.e. religious, there wasn't much difference at the time) authorities doing to collecting and redistributing, to provide for the welfare of the needy, which included foreigners, sojourners, people inhabiting the Land who were not themselves Israelites.

Indeed, the very matter of treating the foreigner formed part of the basis for the commandment in Leviticus, which our Lord quoted, as the second part of the Great Commandment. For the Great Commandment is composed of two parts, the first from Deuteronomy 6 (only in Mark's Gospel is the She'ma itself quoted, but all include the following) where it is written, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of your might" (Deuteronomy 6:5); the second portion of the Commandment comes from Leviticus 19,

"When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another. You shall not swear by My name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the Lord.

You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired worker shall not remain with you all night until the morning. You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor. You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord.

You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
" - Leviticus 19:9-18

Intrinsic to the command, "Love your neighbor" is the welfare of the neighbor, that includes the sojourner, the foreigner.

Israel was a Divinely Instituted welfare state, and redistribution of wealth for the poor, the needy, and the foreigner was explicitly commanded by God, it was His Divine Covenant, His contract with Israel, as they being His people and Him being their God. Setting Israel apart from her neighbors and enemies, as demonstrated in the story of Sodom wherein the visitor, the outsider, is accosted by a violent rape gang (in contrast, Abraham welcomes the outsiders, and provides an elaborate feast for them). That these were supernatural visitors, outsiders, doesn't change the fact that this was how outsiders were to be treated: with all hospitality. Israel was to be a land of hospitality.

So, also, it is written,

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." - Hebrews 13:2

And whereas in my previous post I admitted to speaking a bit tongue-in-cheek; on these matters here I am being quite sincere: For Scripture is quite serious on these matters.

So ignoring puny politics and human opinions: What is God's word on the subject of strangers, foreigners, refugees, and migrants? You have the word of God available for yourself to read, so see what it says. And see yourself what the great theologians and holy doctors of Christ's Church have had to say on these things over the last two millennia.

Jesus Christ is Lord, He is always Lord, He is completely Lord. He is not sometimes Lord, He is not lower-case lord, He is upper-case, The Lord, indeed the Lord of lords, the King of kings. We do not worship and give fealty to Caesar, but to the One who is above Caesar in every way: Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟32,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While I am speaking entirely tongue-in-cheek here, given what I often hear from many, America is practicing a multitude of abominations, with comparisons made to Egypt, Canaanites (often a comparison is made between abortion and the cult of Molech), and Babylon; so perhaps if there is an invasion from the southern border, who is to say it isn't the Divine Will of God who is putting America under judgment for her multitude of abominations...
I think you have a great point here, no need to be tongue in cheek. Maybe the southern invaders should raise the banner of 'manifest destiny' for justification - just as our ancestors did to justify THEIR invasion.

As for myself, I don't sweat the influx of any group. As best I can interpret, there is no reference to America even existing in the end times anyway. Prior, we'll either be nuked to oblivion, easily overrun in a ground war by real men (not infiltrated by rampant gender confusion) or decimated back to a small gathering of hunter-gatherers by civil war and moral corruption (just as that great prophet Kruschev predicted).

Thus it has been for all proud nations for time immortal, thus shall it ever be till all surviving nations shall be gathered before His Great Throne.

Don't worry, be happy! Share the Gospel with as many souls as possible while there is still time...

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Doesn't make the Holy Family less than refugees.

I worship a poor brown skinned Jewish refugee. That's the two thousand year old religion I am part of. American politics can't change the Gospel.

-CryptoLUtheran
What the poster was saying was that it had nothing to do with two nations it was more like moving to a different state ( part of the same empire).

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea what the welfare programs of ancient Roman Egypt looked like, that's not a subject I am equipped to comment on.

However, the welfare programs of Israel, as commanded by God in His Divine Law given through Moses, are well documented in Holy Scripture itself; in which, yes, the sojourner was to be well-treated, granted hospitality, and taken care of. There is an entire section of Deuteronomy, as just one example, dedicated to wealth redistribution (tithing) for the poor, the hungry, and the foreigner (see Deuteronomy 14:22-29).

So, again, I've no idea how things were done early on after Rome's eastern acquisitions and conquests and Ptolemaic Egypt came under Roman hegemony; but God's Nation, ancient Israel, was commanded directly by the Almighty and Eternal Creator of the Universe to pull together their resources--with government (i.e. religious, there wasn't much difference at the time) authorities doing to collecting and redistributing, to provide for the welfare of the needy, which included foreigners, sojourners, people inhabiting the Land who were not themselves Israelites.

Indeed, the very matter of treating the foreigner formed part of the basis for the commandment in Leviticus, which our Lord quoted, as the second part of the Great Commandment. For the Great Commandment is composed of two parts, the first from Deuteronomy 6 (only in Mark's Gospel is the She'ma itself quoted, but all include the following) where it is written, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of your might" (Deuteronomy 6:5); the second portion of the Commandment comes from Leviticus 19,

"When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another. You shall not swear by My name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the Lord.

You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired worker shall not remain with you all night until the morning. You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor. You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord.

You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
" - Leviticus 19:9-18

Intrinsic to the command, "Love your neighbor" is the welfare of the neighbor, that includes the sojourner, the foreigner.

Israel was a Divinely Instituted welfare state, and redistribution of wealth for the poor, the needy, and the foreigner was explicitly commanded by God, it was His Divine Covenant, His contract with Israel, as they being His people and Him being their God. Setting Israel apart from her neighbors and enemies, as demonstrated in the story of Sodom wherein the visitor, the outsider, is accosted by a violent rape gang (in contrast, Abraham welcomes the outsiders, and provides an elaborate feast for them). That these were supernatural visitors, outsiders, doesn't change the fact that this was how outsiders were to be treated: with all hospitality. Israel was to be a land of hospitality.

So, also, it is written,

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." - Hebrews 13:2

And whereas in my previous post I admitted to speaking a bit tongue-in-cheek; on these matters here I am being quite sincere: For Scripture is quite serious on these matters.

So ignoring puny politics and human opinions: What is God's word on the subject of strangers, foreigners, refugees, and migrants? You have the word of God available for yourself to read, so see what it says. And see yourself what the great theologians and holy doctors of Christ's Church have had to say on these things over the last two millennia.

Jesus Christ is Lord, He is always Lord, He is completely Lord. He is not sometimes Lord, He is not lower-case lord, He is upper-case, The Lord, indeed the Lord of lords, the King of kings. We do not worship and give fealty to Caesar, but to the One who is above Caesar in every way: Christ.

-CryptoLutheran
I doubt the invaders to the USA are angels in disguise. ;)

When millions of invaders come into a country, as in the late 1900s or early 2000s, over a short period of time, they change the country for the worse.

Just ask the natural-born citizens in France and the people in the other countries in Europe how they feel about the destruction of their countries caused by their admittance of millions of refugees, and you will then see what will happen to the USA if this free entry policy continues.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟376,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm pretty sure that the history in the Old Testament contradicts that opinion.
Really? You think that because the people of Israel were obsessed with taking territory, that God was interested in getting territory?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟568,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While there is no biblical mandate for open borders, such a policy is far more biblically defensible than the xenophobia, fearmongering, and outright hatred that underpins much of the Right’s stance on immigration. You can have strong borders without demonizing the people trying to come here. You can be both strict and compassionate. The Right’s posture of cruelty and vindictiveness is a choice.

I’d also point out that the author of the OP’s piece is a senior fellow at the Family Research Council, an organization with a long history of spreading hate and vitriol in its pursuit of selling right-wing propaganda to evangelicals.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟76,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While there is no biblical mandate for open borders, such a policy is far more biblically defensible than the xenophobia, fearmongering, and outright hatred that underpins much of the Right’s stance on immigration. You can have strong borders without demonizing the people trying to come here. You can be both strict and compassionate. The Right’s posture of cruelty and vindictiveness is a choice.

I’d also point out that the author of the OP’s piece is a senior fellow at the Family Research Council, an organization with a long history of spreading hate and vitriol in its pursuit of selling right-wing propaganda to evangelicals.
The FRC does not spread hate and vitriol. In my opinion, it is slanderous to say that they do. Also, I believe that you are being very insulting when you suggest that "the Right" has a posture of cruelty.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟76,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? You think that because the people of Israel were obsessed with taking territory, that God was interested in getting territory?
Did you read in the Old Testament where God himself promised all the land of Canaan to Israel?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟376,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Did you read in the Old Testament where God himself promised all the land of Canaan to Israel?
Yes. Yes I did.

And we are to believe God himself placed the border between Mexico and Texas? That America is God's new chosen people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Already purposed , already know, already seen, long time in planning, the way of destruction even if some thought it was a way that seemed right to anyone.
Sometimes good intentions have terrible consequences.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟76,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. Yes I did.

And we are to believe God himself placed the border between Mexico and Texas? That America is God's new chosen people?
No.
However, it is still a fact that all throughout the history of the world a secure border is vitally important to nations. Why should that change?
Why should a secure border not be important to a strong country?

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟206,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm pretty sure that the history in the Old Testament contradicts that opinion.
I agree. God made nations of people groups. Tower of Babble, and even further confounded languages. Globalists want a babble model

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟376,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No.
However, it is still a fact that all throughout the history of the world a secure border is vitally important to nations.
Well that's a bit of a tricky one isn't it? A lot of countries have had long porous borders that they haven't been able to defend yet their countries have survived.
Of course, of every major empire that has ever existed, quite a few of them have fallen.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I doubt the invaders to the USA are angels in disguise. ;)

When millions of invaders come into a country, as in the late 1900s or early 2000s, over a short period of time, they change the country for the worse.

Just ask the natural-born citizens in France and the people in the other countries in Europe how they feel about the destruction of their countries caused by their admittance of millions of refugees, and you will then see what will happen to the USA if this free entry policy continues.

Or just ask the people of the mid 1800's, who considered Catholics unworthy of American citizenship and were accused of being invaders, who were going to poison the country, and who couldn't be real Americans because they would be more loyal to the Pope.

That's the thing about xenophobia. It's always evil.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟26,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or just ask the people of the mid 1800's, who considered Catholics unworthy of American citizenship and were accused of being invaders, who were going to poison the country, and who couldn't be real Americans because they would be more loyal to the Pope.

-CryptoLutheran
You didn’t really contradict his statement at all. All you’ve said was “xenophobia is evil.”

Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟26,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't make the Holy Family less than refugees.

I worship a poor brown skinned Jewish refugee. That's the two thousand year old religion I am part of. American politics can't change the Gospel.

-CryptoLUtheran
I have no clue what you’re getting at.
What the poster was saying was that it had nothing to do with two nations it was more like moving to a different state ( part of the same empire).
@ViaCrucis do u understand that Mary Jesus and Joseph weren’t refugees?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟568,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The FRC does not spread hate and vitriol.

What do you think associating homosexuality with pedophilia is? Just speaking the truth?

In my opinion, it is slanderous to say that they do.

Your opinion is wrong.

Also, I believe that you are being very insulting when you suggest that "the Right" has a posture of cruelty.

It was the deliberate policy of the Trump administration to deter border crossings by treating all of them as criminal (vs civil or administrative) matters that would justify separating children from their parents.

It’s been the deliberate policy of certain Republican governors to ship migrants across the country to places that aren’t prepared for them, and from which they’d have difficulty returning to their immigration hearings.

It was right-wing darling Joe Arpaio who, among other abuses not related to immigration, engaged in long running policies of racial profiling and unconstitutional actions in pursuit rounding up illegals. He was eventually convicted of criminal contempt of court for refusing to abide by court orders to stop racially profiling people. Trump pardoned him of that conviction.

This is your current presidential nominee, pitching an almost-certainly unconstitutional policy to deny birthright citizenship to kids born here and decrying chain migration as immoral and terrible (despite his own in-laws using it), and describing the folks coming here as criminals and insane.

If you don’t want me to describe the right as having adopted a posture of cruelty, don’t nominate the guy who engages in bigotry and cruelty, and who encourages it in others.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
The Catholics came in as legal citizens. Some nationalities did suffer more than others. The Chinese had a difficult time here also. Tribal loyalty can produce both good and evil.

Upvote 0