Is an Open Border Policy a Biblical Mandate?

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟135,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If God wanted closed borders, baby Jesus would have been blocked at the Egyptian border and killed by Herod's soldiers.

God knows firsthand the dangers refugees are fleeing from.

And that is what the Bible is showing me.
We are not even taking good care of our own homeless population. Our government neglects them, and even uses our tax dollars to provide border security to Ukraine, but it does nothing to protect our own borders.

Are you willing to give the government half or more of your income to provide for the many more millions of homeless, jobless, and poor people who are entering our country illegally?

How about opening your home to a foreign family so that they can live with you?

I am not willing to do either one of these. Inflation for the things I need to buy is at least 25-30% right now. My income has not increased but a few dollars per month.

The government has no money of its own. It has to take it from hard-working American taxpayers in order to give it to someone else. Americans cannot possibly support all the poor people of the world who willfully choose to invade our country. It is an invasion. Where is our National Guard?

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟69,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Bible unquestionably endorses the idea of welcoming strangers and showing hospitality. It further calls for the just treatment of everyone, because they are created in the image of God (Deuteronomy 24:17). But that’s not a rebuke of national borders or a statement that people should be able to go wherever they want whenever they want. “Thou shalt not kill” and “that shalt not steal” are not in conflict, they are complementary. They both recognize that people have dignity and rights by virtue of their humanity, which include the right to life and the right to property. Nations are a way of recognizing property that is owned by a community and therefore not owned by those outside the community. This means people inside a community have privileges those outside a community do not have. Like the definition of a woman, this hasn’t been controversial until very recently.

The book of Nehemiah is dedicated to the idea that the security that comes from walls is a sign of God’s blessing and provision. Conversely, the lack of walls is evidence of social decay and vulnerability. God is not troubled that the purpose of walls is to prevent some people from doing things they want to do because He knows some people desire to do things they shouldn’t do, like take fentanyl and victims of sex trafficking across international borders for the purpose of killing and exploiting.

Of course, not everyone seeking to cross our border intends harm, but that would also be true of all the people who might want to sleep in your house tonight if they knew it was unlocked, but you lock it anyway.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,265.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If God wanted closed borders, baby Jesus would have been blocked at the Egyptian border and killed by Herod's soldiers.

God knows firsthand the dangers refugees are fleeing from.

And that is what the Bible is showing me.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟7,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible unquestionably endorses the idea of welcoming strangers and showing hospitality. It further calls for the just treatment of everyone, because they are created in the image of God (Deuteronomy 24:17).
I live in the outer suburbs of Northern Virginia which in the last twenty years the region has people from over 100 different countries around the world. I have two good friends of faith for many years of different Protestant denominations from the Philippines and Syria. I have met bright doctors from India and had house cleaners from Bolivia. As examples in my life, they I know they came to this country legally. Sadly I have crossed paths at different places have lived in the region, with some people crossing from south of the border likely illegally and steal and not love thy neighbor by blasting music for lengths of time, and either don't speak English or pretend not to when try to talk to them about doing wrong. No one can be expected to learn lots of languages, and Google translate and similar tools only go so far. Once living in at an apartment building where Spanish soeaking workers doing extensive exterior repair for hours outside on a couple of hot summer days, I left a case of free for them bottled water on my ground level patio with a message translated in Spanish which they appreciated.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟69,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Borders are arbitrary man-made political inventions that God would not bother to trifle himself with.
I'm pretty sure that the history in the Old Testament contradicts that opinion.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,467.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm pretty sure that the history in the Old Testament contradicts that opinion.
Really? Just because it's mentioned in the Bible, doesn't mean it isn't a manmade invention.

Please, tell me the verse where it says "And God decreed physical borders and barriers between every nation is holy"....or ideally

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟69,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you suggesting that the lands which the Old Testament describes as being given and promised by the Lord God to Israel did not have national borders after Israel became a nation?

Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟24,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, Egypt was part of the Roman Empire when Jesus was alive. It’s like crossing the border of Texas to Oklahoma.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nope, Egypt was part of the Roman Empire when Jesus was alive. It’s like crossing the border of Texas to Oklahoma.

Doesn't make the Holy Family less than refugees.

I worship a poor brown skinned Jewish refugee. That's the two thousand year old religion I am part of. American politics can't change the Gospel.

-CryptoLUtheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟24,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I worship a poor brown skinned Jewish refugee. That's the two thousand year old religion I am part of. American politics can't change the Gospel.

-CryptoLUtheran
I have no clue what you’re getting at.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟135,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLUtheran
Yes, but Joseph, Mary, and Jesus went back home again as soon as the threat to Jesus' life was over, and they did not receive public assistance while they were there.

2 Thessalonians 3:7-9 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us; we were not idle when we were with you, 8 and we did not eat anyone’s bread without paying for it; but with toil and labor we worked night and day, so that we might not burden any of you.

Also, when God commands a person to immediately move his family to Egypt, it is best to obey immediately.

I do not see a correlation between the Holy Family's flight to Egypt and the horde of millions of illegals invading our country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟174,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
We already know what the "biblical mandate" is.

The situation is, that you have tens of thousands of people at our border. They are there because they are fleeing failed states which we helped ruin and they paid all the money they could scrape together to warlords who control much of the territory they had to pass through to get here. They are stranded without resources in a desert region where the government of Mexico exercises no effective sovereignty.

People who want us to use the Bible as a basis for national policy tell us that these people are a threat to our national sovereignty and the purity of our cultural heritage and so should be turned away. They don't want their hard-earned tax dollars to be devoted to supporting these poor people any more than they want it to be used for the poor who already live here.

We already know what the biblical mandate is. It is repugnant.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟24,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Biblical mandate: Love your neighbor as yourself.
2 John 5-6
And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Romans 13:1
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟24,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We already know what the "biblical mandate" is.

The situation is, that you have tens of thousands of people at our border. They are there because they are fleeing failed states which we helped ruin and they paid all the money they could scrape together to warlords who control much of the territory they had to pass through to get here. They are stranded without resources in a desert region where the government of Mexico exercises no effective sovereignty.

People who want us to use the Bible as a basis for national policy tell us that these people are a threat to our national sovereignty and the purity of our cultural heritage and so should be turned away. They don't want their hard-earned tax dollars to be devoted to supporting these poor people any more than they want it to be used for the poor who already live here.

We already know what the biblical mandate is. It is repugnant.
How many illegal immigrants have you provided shelter for in your home?

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟174,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
How many illegal immigrants have you provided shelter for in your home?
None, knowingly. If a person is an illegal they generally try to keep it to themselves. I have sheltered an asylum seeker, but asylum seekers are not illegals.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but Joseph, Mary, and Jesus went back home again as soon as the threat to Jesus' life was over, and they did not receive public assistance while they were there.

2 Thessalonians 3:7-9 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us; we were not idle when we were with you, 8 and we did not eat anyone’s bread without paying for it; but with toil and labor we worked night and day, so that we might not burden any of you.

Also, when God commands a person to immediately move his family to Egypt, it is best to obey immediately.

I do not see a correlation between the Holy Family's flight to Egypt and the horde of millions of illegals invading our country.

According to the ancient traditions of the Coptic Church (the indigenous Christians of Egypt since the time St. Mark the Evangelist established a base of apostolic and missionary operations in Alexandria, turning Alexandria into one of the great early centers of Christianity) the Holy Family in their travels to and within Egypt, experienced many things--including being welcomed, cared for, fed, and provided welfare by locals. Where they were safe from the threats and dangers of Herod--because of God's Providence operating in and through Egyptian locals.

It's not as though the Holy Family fled to Egypt and then hid in a cave all alone until they returned--they would have, even if some of the traditions and stories contain elaborations and legendary accretions (such as the Child Jesus hallowing out a spring by His Divine power), it would be pretty obvious that for a family with a small Child they would rely on the kindness, compassion, and hospitality of strangers in the land of their refuge.

As for the returning part. Yes, the Holy Family did return to Palestine after their refuge; even as many who cross the southern border come to work for a short period of time, and send money back home, and often return home themselves. Sure, lots of people cross, and stay--to make a better life for themselves and their family in a new place. But many are also temporary workers, they don't stay, but they work and provide, and then return.

Perhaps a better comparison might be the Exodus? Where according to the Bible up to a million people, Hebrews and a "mixed multitude" with them, fled Egypt following Moses into the desert of Sinai, where they received God's Torah, becoming the Jewish people; they--or rather their children--would after forty years in the wilderness enter into Canaan. And, at least according to the Bible, that was an invasion. Perhaps you recall how God ordered the Israelites to circle Jericho and the walls came tumbling down. Or perhaps you recall the conflicts with the locals, such as the Amalakites, who had harassed and assaulted the Israelites while in the Negev just past Sinai, and eventually resulting in the somewhat infamous quote in Scripture where the Amalakites are to be utterly destroyed and erased from under heaven.

While I am speaking entirely tongue-in-cheek here, given what I often hear from many, America is practicing a multitude of abominations, with comparisons made to Egypt, Canaanites (often a comparison is made between abortion and the cult of Molech), and Babylon; so perhaps if there is an invasion from the southern border, who is to say it isn't the Divine Will of God who is putting America under judgment for her multitude of abominations, isn't it written,

"You are the daughter of your mother, who loathed her husband and her children; and you are the sister of your sisters, who loathed their husbands and their children. Your mother was a Hittite, and your father and Amorite. And your elder sister is Samaria, who lived with her daughters. Not only did you walk in their ways and do according to their abominations; within a very little time you were more corrupt than they in all your ways. As I live, declares the Lord God, your sister Sodom and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom; she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were arrogant and did an abomination before Me. So I removed them, when I saw it. Samaria has not committed half of your sins. You have committed more abominations than they, and have made your sisters appear righteous by all the abominations that you have committed. Bear your disgrace, you also, for you have intervened on behalf of your sisters. Because of your sins, in which you acted more abominably than they, they are more in the right than you. So be ashamed, you also, and bear your disgrace, for you have made your sisters appear righteous." - Ezekiel 16:45-52

We could go full-biblical: America is an intoxicated harlot drunk on wealth and power, greater empires than she have been taken out for less. Perhaps, if there is an invasion, it is because America has been an unrighteous hell-bent empire that has grown fat on consumption, for her great mistreatment of the poor and hungry in her midst, because her leaders have grown fat on the abuse of the weak and the needy, and the day of her judgment has finally drawn near.

Do I actually believe that? Well no. But, if we are going full-biblical when talking about modern day America...

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟914,819.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

The Bible unquestionably endorses the idea of welcoming strangers and showing hospitality. It further calls for the just treatment of everyone, because they are created in the image of God (Deuteronomy 24:17). But that’s not a rebuke of national borders or a statement that people should be able to go wherever they want whenever they want. “Thou shalt not kill” and “that shalt not steal” are not in conflict, they are complementary. They both recognize that people have dignity and rights by virtue of their humanity, which include the right to life and the right to property. Nations are a way of recognizing property that is owned by a community and therefore not owned by those outside the community. This means people inside a community have privileges those outside a community do not have. Like the definition of a woman, this hasn’t been controversial until very recently.

The book of Nehemiah is dedicated to the idea that the security that comes from walls is a sign of God’s blessing and provision. Conversely, the lack of walls is evidence of social decay and vulnerability. God is not troubled that the purpose of walls is to prevent some people from doing things they want to do because He knows some people desire to do things they shouldn’t do, like take fentanyl and victims of sex trafficking across international borders for the purpose of killing and exploiting.

Of course, not everyone seeking to cross our border intends harm, but that would also be true of all the people who might want to sleep in your house tonight if they knew it was unlocked, but you lock it anyway.
Guess it is a good thing no one supports an "Open border policy".

Upvote 0