Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We have the Holy Spirit. We have angels. We have a spirit given to each and everyone of us. There seems to be a clear distinction yet.... the question remains. Is an angel a spirit?
I don't believe that angels are spirits.
They are heavenly beings with heavenly bodies and can take on human form...
Even the Holy Spirit dwells in us and has no form.
Demons are not fallen angels either. They are spirits roaming without physical bodies of any sort, heavenly or otherwise. They search for something to go into in order to satisfy their hunger and thirst .

In my opinion.. there are angels, fallen angels, and demons which are always evil.

Angels are really just a "class" or "rank" of many different types of heavenly beings.
There are Principalities, Archangels, Dominions, Cherubim, Seraphim, Thrones, Authorities... etc....

All are different ranks and companies in the servants of Gods army.

The angels that fell with Satan would be comprised of similar beings of all ranks.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Angels pre-existed the creation of the material world (Job 38:7 LXX*) so they can't be anything else but spiritual (immaterial beings). So are the demons, who are just fallen angels.

______
* When the stars were made, all my angels praised me with a loud voice.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. They don’t have flesh and bones.

Luke 24:36-40
And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

Angels don’t have flesh and bones.. none of the divine beings in the heavenly realm have flesh and bones. They are spirits.

• Informative
Reactions: SvN.7
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Hebrews 1:13
13 But to which of the angels has he ever said,
“Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?
14 Are not all angels spirits in the divine service, sent to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
We have the Holy Spirit. We have angels. We have a spirit given to each and everyone of us. There seems to be a clear distinction yet.... the question remains. Is an angel a spirit?
Bible is a bit ambiguous on the matter.

Heb 1:14 "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

Heb 1:7 And of the angels He says: "Who makes His angels spirits And His ministers a flame of fire."

VERSUS:

Ac 23:8 For Sadducees say that there is no resurrection——and no angel or spirit; but the Pharisees confess both.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Angel is something created by God which is living in the other realm , God first created the heaven and the earth , not the other way around .
God did not need to create the heaven for himself because he existed before that he is not created himself.

God created the heaven first , so he could create angels to have ability to be inside some kind of space , then he created the earth .
We are told angels rejoiced them God was creating the earth .

All we know is that they have different roles and different authority, some of them rebelled , they can manifest themselfes as light and can take human form so we met them unaware. All of them are males .
Angels are called stars in Bible , when you see star above house where Jesus was born it was angel , likewise when Bible says star was given the keys of bottomless pit , it is the angel which goes to bind Satan there .

Hebrews 1:10

• Agree
Reactions: BlindAutist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Of course they are spirits. Angels are not creatures composed of physical matter.
Any evidence of this? Just because they are not composed of the physical matter, doesn't mean they are composed of the same material that spirits are. It is like saying that oxygen vapor is the same as hydrogen vapor.

• Useful
Reactions: chunkofcoal
Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Any evidence of this? Just because they are not composed of the physical matter, doesn't mean they are composed of the same material that spirits are. It is like saying that oxygen vapor is the same as hydrogen vapor.
You didn't notice all the scriptures given in response to your question? God Himself is a spirit. Anyone/thing in heaven has too be a spirit (has a spirit body) as they live in a spiritual realm, not a natural one as we do.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...makes more sense to think of them as in another dimension, in that, we can't see them physically because they don't exist on the same plane of reality as we do. Doesn't mean they can't have bodies. Some people think of heaven as being far away, but that was not the Jewish concept of heaven. If heaven exists within arms length, so to speak, then we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses at all times. And the battle in the heavenly realms isn't up there somewhere, it's here, it's just not visible to the eye, but can sometimes be perceived by our spirits if we are in tune with God's spirit. Which means the angels who watch over God's people are not far off, they are usually not visible, but they can sometimes become visible, hench the many accounts of people briefly seeing angels.
. 10See that you do not look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. …
Guardian angels have to be "here" to guard, one would think.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

According to Scripture, an angel is a spirit-being. An example of this is Hebrews 1:13-14. There is no record in Scripture that angels or demons (spiritual beings) ever cease to exist. satan for example, according to Scripture is imprisoned for a long time and then thrown into the lake of fire to be tormented for ever and ever--which at least implies he never ceases to exist.

If we hold to the belief that we (humans) are spirit-beings already, apart from regeneration of being born-again, then we would have to believe that we are already eternal beings. I guess that would be completely consistent with going to eternal life or eternal torment.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Hmmm...makes more sense to think of them as in another dimension, in that, we can't see them physically because they don't exist on the same plane of reality as we do. Doesn't mean they can't have bodies. Some people think of heaven as being far away, but that was not the Jewish concept of heaven. If heaven exists within arms length, so to speak, then we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses at all times. And the battle in the heavenly realms isn't up there somewhere, it's here, it's just not visible to the eye, but can sometimes be perceived by our spirits if we are in tune with God's spirit. Which means the angels who watch over God's people are not far off, they are usually not visible, but they can sometimes become visible, hench the many accounts of people briefly seeing angels.
. 10See that you do not look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. …
Guardian angels have to be "here" to guard, one would think.
exactle... Angels do have bodies, spirits do not.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You didn't notice all the scriptures given in response to your question? God Himself is a spirit. Anyone/thing in heaven has too be a spirit (has a spirit body) as they live in a spiritual realm, not a natural one as we do.
Also, spirits are invisible, yet can be seen when They appear to us, or we have our spiritual eyes opened

2 Kings 6:15-17
And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots.

And his servant said unto Elisha, Alas, my master! how shall we do?

And he(Elisha) answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

And Elisha prayed, and said, YHWH, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see.

And YHWH opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

We can’t see them because you can’t see a spirit unless it is somehow manifested into the physical realm for us to see.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
According to Scripture, an angel is a spirit-being. An example of this is Hebrews 1:13-14. There is no record in Scripture that angels or demons (spiritual beings) ever cease to exist. satan for example, according to Scripture is imprisoned for a long time and then thrown into the lake of fire to be tormented for ever and ever--which at least implies he never ceases to exist.

If we hold to the belief that we (humans) are spirit-beings already, apart from regeneration of being born-again, then we would have to believe that we are already eternal beings. I guess that would be completely consistent with going to eternal life or eternal torment.
Ezek. 28:18 “By the multitude of your iniquities, In the unrighteousness of your trade You profaned your sanctuaries. Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you; It has consumed you, And I have turned you to ashes on the earth In the eyes of all who see you. 19 All who know you among the peoples Are appalled at you; You have become terrified And you will cease to be forever.”

“Then shall he say also to them on the left hand, Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels” (Matt.25:41 KJV).

Why is a fire prepared for Satan and the evil spirits under his control? It makes no sense to prepare a fire to cast evil spirits into unless they can be harmed by this fire. Angels are not immortal. Why would they cry out..

Mark 1:23 And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with you, you Jesus of Nazareth? are you come to destroy us? I know you, you are the Holy One of God”

The verse you used to show evidence of torment "for ever and ever"..has also been interpreted as “age of ages", Satan will not endure everlasting punishing. He will have his existence terminated. He will cease to exist forever. The age spoken of in verse 10 is the termination of an age.

Heb 2:14 “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil” English word destroy is a translation of the Greek word katargeo, which comes from the root argeo, which means 'to render entirely useless.' It can also mean 'to abolish', 'to cease', 'to vanish away', or 'to utterly destroy'. Yeshua will utterly destroy Satan.

Eze 28:14 And I have set you so: you were upon the holy mountain of God; you have walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, till iniquity[lawlessness] was found in you. By the multitude of your merchandise they have filled the midst of you with violence, and you have sinned: therefore I will cast you as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy you, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire”

Mal.4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. 2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. 3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

• Agree
Reactions: chunkofcoal
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
There is no evidence that angels have bodies.
So how can they think and have rational thoughts of their own if they have no bodies? When God made angels, he gave them impressive intellectual capabilities. In 2 Samuel 14:20 that God has given angels the knowledge about "all things that are on the earth."

Upvote 0