• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Is always maturity in proportion to the getting off addictive behavior?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by peter2, Oct 5, 2019.

1. peter2

peter2 Ordinary life contemplative

+71
    France
    Catholic
    Married
    I am used to consider an inevitable step the getting off whatever addiction, at the prospect of gradually growing up.
    Of course, stemming from the victory over temptations, it follows the more grown-up is Christ, since he gets off sin.
    I just ask for your opinion: Do you believe the more they get off worldly goods, the more grown-up they become?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. spiritualchristian7

spiritualchristian7 Member

+183
    Philippines
    Christian
    Private
    you<God=Godly
    I think we, as Christians, should continuously reject ourselves in order to follow Christ.

I find that being double-minded puts me in the wrong situations and causes me to have a different outlook in life rather than when I'm sober-minded.

I'm double-minded (me): struggling with worldly problems, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, etc.
    I'm sober-minded (me): I'm not worried about my future. God has a plan for me. I should be looking up, do works, and bear fruits for the Lord.

double-minded: SELFISH; I live for myself
    sober-minded: SELFLESS; I live for God because it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.

3. peter2

+71
    France
    Catholic
    Married
    Hello sc7, thank you.
    I agree with this

I don't think so:
    In "selfless", there is still a "self", and maybe they might deceive themselves with the nothingness of the "less". Wasn't Satan trying to induce Jesus into boasting of his divine nature while tempting him into throwing himself from the temple's pinnacle? Jesus didn't reject his life, then, so much as to throw himself from the temple

4. tdidymas

tdidymas Newbie

+853
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    If you're talking about spiritual maturity, then yes. 2 Cor. 4:16-18:
    "Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

1 Jn. 2:15-17 "Love not the world..." Addictions = the love of pleasure, which is self-centered and conceited. If we love God, then we will love others enough to get off our addictions and start obeying Christ who said "let your light so shine before men..."
    TD:)

5. peter2

+71
    France
    Catholic
    Married
    Hello TD, thank you for answering and for this pi├Ęce of scriptures that perfectly illustrates my state of mind.
    Yet,
    i believe all maturity to be spiritual. I mean, more than an adult, a child was once designated by Christ as an example to be followed suit, in order to get the kingdom. I mean, again, isn't what we call maturity, in this world, some immaturity as regards the kingdom, since even the apostles were taught this soft lesson to consider childhood a pivotal place to aim at essential maturity. Now, if such is main maturity, that it's accessible first to children, is it a sensible thing to consider any other scaling in maturity as a valuable one?
    I joyfully agree