Is always maturity in proportion to the getting off addictive behavior?

peter2

Ordinary life contemplative
Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am used to consider an inevitable step the getting off whatever addiction, at the prospect of gradually growing up.
Of course, stemming from the victory over temptations, it follows the more grown-up is Christ, since he gets off sin.
I just ask for your opinion: Do you believe the more they get off worldly goods, the more grown-up they become?

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you<God=Godly
I think we, as Christians, should continuously reject ourselves in order to follow Christ.

I find that being double-minded puts me in the wrong situations and causes me to have a different outlook in life rather than when I'm sober-minded.

I'm double-minded (me): struggling with worldly problems, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, etc.
I'm sober-minded (me): I'm not worried about my future. God has a plan for me. I should be looking up, do works, and bear fruits for the Lord.

double-minded: SELFISH; I live for myself
sober-minded: SELFLESS; I live for God because it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
you<God=Godly
Hello sc7, thank you.
I agree with this

I think we, as Christians, should continuously reject ourselves in order to follow Christ
sober-minded: SELFLESS
I don't think so:
In "selfless", there is still a "self", and maybe they might deceive themselves with the nothingness of the "less". Wasn't Satan trying to induce Jesus into boasting of his divine nature while tempting him into throwing himself from the temple's pinnacle? Jesus didn't reject his life, then, so much as to throw himself from the temple

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,185.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am used to consider an inevitable step the getting off whatever addiction, at the prospect of gradually growing up.
Of course, stemming from the victory over temptations, it follows the more grown-up is Christ, since he gets off sin.
I just ask for your opinion: Do you believe the more they get off worldly goods, the more grown-up they become?
If you're talking about spiritual maturity, then yes. 2 Cor. 4:16-18:
"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

1 Jn. 2:15-17 "Love not the world..." Addictions = the love of pleasure, which is self-centered and conceited. If we love God, then we will love others enough to get off our addictions and start obeying Christ who said "let your light so shine before men..."
TD:)

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
yes. 2 Cor. 4:16-18:
"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
Hello TD, thank you for answering and for this pièce of scriptures that perfectly illustrates my state of mind.
Yet,
If you're talking about spiritual maturity
i believe all maturity to be spiritual. I mean, more than an adult, a child was once designated by Christ as an example to be followed suit, in order to get the kingdom. I mean, again, isn't what we call maturity, in this world, some immaturity as regards the kingdom, since even the apostles were taught this soft lesson to consider childhood a pivotal place to aim at essential maturity. Now, if such is main maturity, that it's accessible first to children, is it a sensible thing to consider any other scaling in maturity as a valuable one?
1 Jn. 2:15-17 "Love not the world..." Addictions = the love of pleasure, which is self-centered and conceited. If we love God, then we will love others enough to get off our addictions and start obeying Christ who said "let your light so shine before men..."
I joyfully agree

Upvote 0