Georgia
✟922,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Bible promises 120 years but other people argue saying a generation is only 80 years.

or possibly 40 years. Israel was in the desert 40 years so "all that generation" that rebelled at the border of Canaan would have died.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
or possibly 40 years. Israel was in the desert 40 years so "all that generation" that rebelled at the border of Canaan would have died.
Good point, but also if measured by the same consideration of how long it took to see that generation perish in the desert, it could be how long until all died. But that's not usually just 40 years. Usually , in most situations, some would live significantly beyond 60 years... but in the desert at that moment all perished in just 40 years except for the 2 individuals listed, because of their faith. So, for example 100 years is another number. Or even 120. But so are other numbers: it's also reasonable to think of 40 years, the time from birth to the end of female fertility. So more than one number. I tend to think of dying from old age as the measure when a verse says "shall not pass away, " so I'm guessing up there more near 100 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Numbers 32:13 So the Lord’s anger burned against Israel, and He made them wander in the wilderness for forty years, until the entire generation of those who had done evil in the sight of the Lord came to an end.

Good point, but also if measured by the same consideration of how long it took to see that generation perish in the desert, it could be how long until all died. But that's not usually just 40 years. Usually , in most situations, some would live significantly beyond 60 years...

True - so "generation" in the Bible does not mean "average life span" - it is more like - the 40 year period of "child bearing age". So then grandparents, parents, children = 3 generations even though not all of them have died yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Numbers 32:13 So the Lord’s anger burned against Israel, and He made them wander in the wilderness for forty years, until the entire generation of those who had done evil in the sight of the Lord came to an end.

True - so "generation" in the Bible does not mean "average life span" - it is more like - the 40 year period of "child bearing age". So then grandparents, parents, children = 3 generations even though not all of them have died yet.
We seem to agree that 40 years is one plausible idea of what a 'generation' could be, because of how it aligns to the average end of female fertility. But, although that's quite reasonable, to me it's still only one of several plausible ideas.

On the almost unrelated side note about how long the Israelites lived in the desert, their surprisingly short life spans, we know that Joshua and Caleb, who had faith, lived far longer. And I was wondering about Joshua's longevity, but it's actually given: Joshua 24:29 Some time later, Joshua son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died at the age of 110.. He outlived the other initially young leaving Egypt men by a large margin there. (not seeing where Caleb's longevity is given, but I do see this: Bible Gateway passage: Joshua 14:6-15 - New International Version)

Upvote 0