• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Iron Supplements

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

I am suffering from anemia and I was prescribed Iron supplements. The thing is that they give me stomachaches even after eating a full meal and they also give me a weird headache, like on the crown of my head and temple. I was told I am supposed to take them with vitamin C which I am doing but I still get the symptoms. I was wondering if it could be the brand that I am taking; got them directly from the clinic. Can anyone suggest a good brand? I am supposed to take them twice a day but last time I tried taking them once a day for a week and I felt misserable so I stopped taking them. The headache lasts for hours. They tested my hemoglobin again and it was lower this time so I need to take the iron. They doctors are searching for the cause.

Thank you in advanced!

• Prayers
Reactions: vinsight4u

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have some experience taking iron supplements, and it does matter (to me) what brand you use. I tried store brand before and got weird symptoms like gas, joint aches, extreme agitation, and constipation. I then tried Feosol Original (red and white box) and I did go through stuff like agitation and increased heart rate for a couple weeks (it then abated) but other than that, no other side effects. I've stuck with this brand for the past two years and I have no plans to try another brand.

I take iron two times a day too. The thing is, I couldn't start out that way because just one a day would give me agitation and increased pulse. So I tried one a day, then eventually I did two in a day but made that every other day (but in between those days I did once a day) and when I got used to that, I ended up in two a day. I had to do things gradually because iron supplements can have potent effects if you just jump right in.

I still take 3 Colaces to keep myself regular. I take 2 Colaces if I took 1 iron a day, but 3 Colaces if I took 2 iron a day. Right now I'm trying to get back on 2 irons a day (I went back to 1 a day but it wasn't maintaining a high enough iron level) and I'm still going through some agitation as a result of the readjustment but I'm taking a chamomile capsule with one of the iron doses to stave the agitation off - the latter makes me sleepy but not in a way that I can't function. The agitation will go away after a week or two (for me). Iron pills are strange and as far as I'm concerned, have to be approached very carefully.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have some experience taking iron supplements, and it does matter (to me) what brand you use. I tried store brand before and got weird symptoms like gas, joint aches, extreme agitation, and constipation. I then tried Feosol Original (red and white box) and I did go through stuff like agitation and increased heart rate for a couple weeks (it then abated) but other than that, no other side effects. I've stuck with this brand for the past two years and I have no plans to try another brand.

I take iron two times a day too. The thing is, I couldn't start out that way because just one a day would give me agitation and increased pulse. So I tried one a day, then eventually I did two in a day but made that every other day (but in between those days I did once a day) and when I got used to that, I ended up in two a day. I had to do things gradually because iron supplements can have potent effects if you just jump right in.

I still take 3 Colaces to keep myself regular. I take 2 Colaces if I took 1 iron a day, but 3 Colaces if I took 2 iron a day. Right now I'm trying to get back on 2 irons a day (I went back to 1 a day but it wasn't maintaining a high enough iron level) and I'm still going through some agitation as a result of the readjustment but I'm taking a chamomile capsule with one of the iron doses to stave the agitation off - the latter makes me sleepy but not in a way that I can't function. The agitation will go away after a week or two (for me). Iron pills are strange and as far as I'm concerned, have to be approached very carefully.
Thank you for your advice!

I react bad to many medicines and supplements so doctors have to work hard to find something that works for me. I will try other brands to see which one works better.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad it was helpful lol. I react bad to medicines too. I tried taking anti-anxiety meds but they made me feel manic, even when I tried lowering the dose...it was a nightmare, so I understand about medicine sensitivity.

One thing about the iron - even on Feosol, when I was starting out taking only 1 pill, I did 1 every other day until I got used to the feeling, then I gradually took 1 every day - and then as I said before, I went through another acclimation process to get to 2 a day. I think it will work that way, but it takes 2 to 3 weeks, in my opinion, before you can start taking the supplements literally every day. If you feel OK taking 1 every day right now, that's OK, but if not, then somehow ease your way into it.

I guess I have enough firsthand knowledge of this stuff lol.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Just checked the brand you suggested, its 65mg. The doctor prescribed 325mg, way too much =/

I don’t know if I am getting intoxicated
I'm glad it was helpful lol. I react bad to medicines too. I tried taking anti-anxiety meds but they made me feel manic, even when I tried lowering the dose...it was a nightmare, so I understand about medicine sensitivity.

One thing about the iron - even on Feosol, when I was starting out taking only 1 pill, I did 1 every other day until I got used to the feeling, then I gradually took 1 every day - and then as I said before, I went through another acclimation process to get to 2 a day. I think it will work that way, but it takes 2 to 3 weeks, in my opinion, before you can start taking the supplements literally every day. If you feel OK taking 1 every day right now, that's OK, but if not, then somehow ease your way into it.

I guess I have enough firsthand knowledge of this stuff lol.
i just checked the brand you suggested and it is 65mg. The doctor prescribed 325mg, way too much. I think I will try your brand and see if my levels go up with it.

I also tried some medicines for my nerves and they gave me really bad symptoms, so bad the doctors added them to my allergy list to prevent other doctors from preacribing them.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
65 mg is the amount of iron itself, 325 mg is the amount of the compound (ferrous sulfate) when the iron is mixed with sulfur. it's the same thing you're taking.

I hope that nothing goes wrong when you try my brand. I would feel responsible :( but I truly feel that it's a good brand.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
65 mg is the amount of iron itself, 325 mg is the amount of the compound (ferrous sulfate) when the iron is mixed with sulfur. it's the same thing you're taking.

I hope that nothing goes wrong when you try my brand. I would feel responsible :( but I truly feel that it's a good brand.
Ah! Thank you for clarifying!

No worries, I would've tried other brands anyway.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Are you staying away from calcium when you take it? It will block absorption. I take my calcium at different times from my iron. I can't help with brands for I took whatever the doctor gave me and I never had a problem. I don't even remember the brand now. I also added a lot of spinach, beans, and I had already switched to cast iron. Love the stuff--everything seems to taste better. I have no trouble with constipation for I take magnesium malate. The malate is hard to find, I have to order on line but it works better without so much side affects. I also have to take B vitamins for the nerves--works great for me, but I do have to take twice as much of just about everything since I had colon surgery for cancer. I get regular blood work done, about every 3 mths to be sure I do not take too much but just enough to keep my blood levels right.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you staying away from calcium when you take it? It will block absorption. I take my calcium at different times from my iron. I can't help with brands for I took whatever the doctor gave me and I never had a problem. I don't even remember the brand now. I also added a lot of spinach, beans, and I had already switched to cast iron. Love the stuff--everything seems to taste better. I have no trouble with constipation for I take magnesium malate. The malate is hard to find, I have to order on line but it works better without so much side affects. I also have to take B vitamins for the nerves--works great for me, but I do have to take twice as much of just about everything since I had colon surgery for cancer. I get regular blood work done, about every 3 mths to be sure I do not take too much but just enough to keep my blood levels right.
I take my calcium in the mornings. I started taking Iron at night because my dinner is my heaviest meal and since I was told to drink orange juice or eat oranges to help absorb the iron better I can’t mix orange juice with my morning coffee. I work overnights so my dinner is my breakfast. My day starts at night.

I started taking Vitamin B complex and they worked for the first few weeks. I had stomachaches but just lasted like 30 minutes, but after a few weeks the nerve sensation started again, I didn’t feel any relief, on the contrary my feet fell heavy so I stopped taking them. I take magnesium glycinate. It relaxes me and helps me go to the bathroom, but since I have gut issues I have to take high amounts (600) for it to work because I dont absorb it well. My body is so used to it that when I tried getting off of it my nerves went crazy and I had really bad body pain. I used to take 800 but cut down to 600.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I take my calcium in the mornings. I started taking Iron at night because my dinner is my heaviest meal and since I was told to drink orange juice or eat oranges to help absorb the iron better I can’t mix orange juice with my morning coffee. I work overnights so my dinner is my breakfast. My day starts at night.

I started taking Vitamin B complex and they worked for the first few weeks. I had stomachaches but just lasted like 30 minutes, but after a few weeks the nerve sensation started again, I didn’t feel any relief, on the contrary my feet fell heavy so I stopped taking them. I take magnesium glycinate. It relaxes me and helps me go to the bathroom, but since I have gut issues I have to take high amounts (600) for it to work because I dont absorb it well. My body is so used to it that when I tried getting off of it my nerves went crazy and I had really bad body pain. I used to take 800 but cut down to 600.

I don't take the mag for nerve pain--that never goes away for me! I just feel less anxious with it and seep better. I take mag malate because it helps the best with pain for fibromyalgia and causes les stomach discomfort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello!

I am suffering from anemia and I was prescribed Iron supplements. The thing is that they give me stomachaches even after eating a full meal and they also give me a weird headache, like on the crown of my head and temple. I was told I am supposed to take them with vitamin C which I am doing but I still get the symptoms. I was wondering if it could be the brand that I am taking; got them directly from the clinic. Can anyone suggest a good brand? I am supposed to take them twice a day but last time I tried taking them once a day for a week and I felt misserable so I stopped taking them. The headache lasts for hours. They tested my hemoglobin again and it was lower this time so I need to take the iron. They doctors are searching for the cause.

Thank you in advanced!

I would say be careful of the dosage. I think our body can only absorb about 15mg a day. Too high a dose could be toxic and cause side effects like constipation and headache.
I recommend eating a diet rich naturally in iron, which mean meat.
So speak to a dietician and ask your doctor again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say be careful of the dosage. I think our body can only absorb about 15mg a day. Too high a dose could be tixic and cause side effects like constipation.
I recommend eating a diet rich naturally in iron, which mean meat.
So speak to a dietician and ask your doctor again.
Thank you for the advice = )

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't take the mag for nerve pain--that never goes away for me! I just feel less anxious with it and seep better. I take mag malate because it helps the best with pain for fibromyalgia and causes les stomach discomfort.
I found out my fibromyalgia pain is from an allergy to gluten! I used to have horrible overactive nerves and pain I couldn't pin point, it was all over. I had horrible brain fog, had to quit my job. A doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia but he said it wasn't due to gluten. A friend saw how misserable I was and suggested cutting gluten just to make sure and two weeks later the pain went away! Since I was feeling better I started eating gluten again and the pain came back, so I decided to stop eating gluten over a year ago. I’ve had accidents and my body doesn’t respond right away to the allergy, it takes me about 7-8 days to get the pain. The pain increases slowly, then I am in bed for 3 days and then it goes away slowly. At first I didn’t recognize the pain, but now I know, and when I go back 7-8 days I find where the mistake was made so I have to remove x thing from my diet. I still deal with stiffness and lack of energy but my job is very simple so is low on stress; stress affects me badly. The brain fog decreased significantly and now I can think, but I still get a foggy feeling sometimes. The nerves on my feet are the ones that drive me crazy but they get bad during hormonal changes, so those days I’ll take a medicine that makes me sleepy but helps with the nerves. That is of course, if I am not working that day.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Thank you in advanced!

Hi there--I have some experience with this, and so does my mother! We both have anemia and stomach issues.

Ask your dr if you can go on liquid iron...yes, the kind normally prescribed for young children! Of course it works for adults too! You can buy it right over the counter and even on Amazon. To get the Vitamin C, my mom and I mix the liquid with orange juice, which also helps the taste. We have no stomach issues when we do this--the iron absorbs into your system very quickly.

(Please be warned that you might really have to ask you dr, because most drs will just give the standard advice of "take with food" or whatever. God bless!)

Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there--I have some experience with this, and so does my mother! We both have anemia and stomach issues.

Ask your dr if you can go on liquid iron...yes, the kind normally prescribed for young children! Of course it works for adults too! You can buy it right over the counter and even on Amazon. To get the Vitamin C, my mom and I mix the liquid with orange juice, which also helps the taste. We have no stomach issues when we do this--the iron absorbs into your system very quickly.

(Please be warned that you might really have to ask you dr, because most drs will just give the standard advice of "take with food" or whatever. God bless!)
Thank you for the advice! I’ll look into it!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I found out my fibromyalgia pain is from an allergy to gluten! I used to have horrible overactive nerves and pain I couldn't pin point, it was all over. I had horrible brain fog, had to quit my job. A doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia but he said it wasn't due to gluten. A friend saw how misserable I was and suggested cutting gluten just to make sure and two weeks later the pain went away! Since I was feeling better I started eating gluten again and the pain came back, so I decided to stop eating gluten over a year ago. I’ve had accidents and my body doesn’t respond right away to the allergy, it takes me about 7-8 days to get the pain. The pain increases slowly, then I am in bed for 3 days and then it goes away slowly. At first I didn’t recognize the pain, but now I know, and when I go back 7-8 days I find where the mistake was made so I have to remove x thing from my diet. I still deal with stiffness and lack of energy but my job is very simple so is low on stress; stress affects me badly. The brain fog decreased significantly and now I can think, but I still get a foggy feeling sometimes. The nerves on my feet are the ones that drive me crazy but they get bad during hormonal changes, so those days I’ll take a medicine that makes me sleepy but helps with the nerves. That is of course, if I am not working that day.

I am glad gluten free helped you---didn't do a thing for me!! I went back to gluten after 2 mths and no change-in fact-I add gluten to my bread recipes!

Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello!

Thank you in advanced!
Hiya!
Iron supplements if I remembered it well should be take once a day in between meals and yes, it will get absorbed better with ascorbic acid. If you could eat fruits rich in vitamin c, that would be much better

• Informative
Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Thank you in advanced!
This is a common side effect.
Did your doctor advise you to start taking them gradually so your body could get used to the high dosage?

Start with very litte, maybe 15 to 20 mg a day of the iorn (not ferrous sulfate), for about 3 or 4 days. Work your way up gradually to the 65 mg.
It used to take me about 10 days but it's worth it.

After you're through taking the 65 mg a day for as long as the dr said -- probably a month or so --- then go to the maintenance dose which is about 20 mg a day. (forever).

This usually works.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a common side effect.
Did your doctor advise you to start taking them gradually so your body could get used to the high dosage?

Start with very litte, maybe 15 to 20 mg a day of the iorn (not ferrous sulfate), for about 3 or 4 days. Work your way up gradually to the 65 mg.
It used to take me about 10 days but it's worth it.

After you're through taking the 65 mg a day for as long as the dr said -- probably a month or so --- then go to the maintenance dose which is about 20 mg a day. (forever).

This usually works.
Blessings
Thank you for your advice!

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0