Nov 23, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Recently I was talking to a friend of mine and she told me that God had called her to be a missionary to Ireland. It started me thinking that a lot of people think that to be a missionary you ahve to get called to the dark jungles of Africa or China or somewhere "scary", but its not true peopl can also be called to places such as Ireland, England, other places in Europe and even some tropical islands. People think that because there is not persecution there or various other reasons that people could not be called there. I never even thought about missions work in Ireland until my friend mentioned it. I have always been interested in everythin Irish and Scottish, and now I am wondering if there is a reason for it. I am in college majoring in elementary education and I plan on teaching in a Christian school. Now I am wondering if God has called me to Ireland. Is it missions work if i go to teach? Also my boyfriend whom I hope to marry in several years is majoring in youth ministeries. Is it missions work to go and work with the youth of Ireland? We have been discussing and praying about the possibilities. Any thoughts or advice on this would be helpful!

maitiu

Mar 29, 2005
New York City
✟15,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Funny you should say that. I'm actually from Ireland; and while it is often seen as a 'poor' country, that is a common misconception. It has higher standards of living - and indeed the Irish are now the second richest people in the world after the Japanese.

From Ireland, I feel called to the United States. I think the US is degrading rapidly, and my recent experiences are akin to a third-world country. You have the two extremes; we tend to only have one prominent (rich). The US is indeed wealthy, but the poor are everywhere. My calling is there.

Matt

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is funny. My pastor is from Ireland. He came to the US as a missionary and has been here for 15 years or so. Now, check this out, we're baptist. ABWE (Association for baptist world evangelism) sends a whole lot of missionaries to ireland too. I guess it's just a matter of where God has called you to. There isn't a corner of the world that doesn't need God's message. Ya know? :)

Upvote 0

Philippe2

Veteran
Mar 9, 2004
Durban;South Africa
✟9,070.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God calls from many places and sends to many. We don't need to restrict the call to only us in the west. Did you know the N Koreans are the second most populous numerically in sending missionaries worldwide!
Sorry that will be South Korea

Upvote 0

EidonsServant

Oct 4, 2005
Michigan
✟15,386.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is definately a large missions field with the Irish youth. My parents served as missionaries to Ireland for 13 years so I grew up there and got to see first hand what God is doing in that so needy country. Besides the church planting work we were doing there are several national ministries working exclusively with young people. Munster Christian Camps comes to mind as well as a couple we know that have a ministry of going into the schools and teaching the required Religion classes, mostly dealing with Creation. We also frequently had teams come for the summer to help with the camps and 5-day clubs minitries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums