Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks to a friend at another forum, I learned of these sites and I'm fascinated and heartened to read the blogs. Haven't gotten to all of them yet, but all the bloggers so far seem to rejoice in the freedoms Iraqis now enjoy and have great hopes for more.

I realize many who read threads in this section of CF aren't Christians; if you are please pray for the Iraqi elections on 1/30. Pray that these voices and others like them are heard for the rest of their hopefully long lives and that they will form an independent, democratic nation with religious freedom.

http://iraqilibe.blogspot.com/

The title of this guy's page ...a Sunni who would've enjoyed more freedom than many under Husseins rule is

"Free Iraqi
I was not living before the 9th of April [2003] and now I am, so let me speak"

-----------

Copied and pasted blog from an Iraqi Christian. Emphasis mine.

http://www.iraq-iraqis.blogspot.com/
Sunday, January 23, 2005
Order

Order is needed in every system, and law would assure the order in any society. Law either respected or enforced, so if the society would not respect the law then it must fear it.

After spending five day in a business trip to Basra again, I have came home three days ago filled with admire ness and respect to the Iraqi southern society which I found very cooperative and marching towards prosperity with steady steps.

I don’t want to exaggerate but on a scale of 10, if problems in Baghdad evaluated with 9 then it’s only 2 in Basra, and I was in Basra a little more than a month ago and I felt difference there this week for better. What really made me happy is the respect IPs are getting there which means respect for the law. And the same is happening in Samawa, Omara, Nasiriya, and Koot, (all are southern cities). On my way to Basra and my way back I didn’t see any multinational forces or any INGs, all were policemen on all check points (about 11 of checkpoints), all asking for IDs and our heading and searching the car. As usual looking at the bright side of our situation in Baghdad I felt it’s a matter of time to be just like the Iraqi southern or northern societies, we do have problems in Baghdad, the most important one of them is the people here are not respecting the law, so simply they must fear it and to enforce law you must have an elected government not a provisional one, and that’s what we are going to have in few days from now.

Election is a fact and is going to take place on the 30th of January no matter what, and may be some of us are not going to see the day after that day and loose their lives electing the right people or at least who we think right people, but it will be the price for our freedom, may be we didn’t pay enough to remove Saddam, so it is the price we are going to pay that day, the 30th of January 2005 to overcome our fears and be free people who did pay for their freedom.

Its not a dreamy words and not banner words for election campaign, I am not a candidate and I am not going to be one but after few years from now inside Iraq or any where else in the world it will be very prodding to sit beside a chimney fire and tell the story of that day to a grand sun or two, or at least to remember that day a lone and remember that we weren’t afraid of a bunch of masked head choppers who wanted to take us to dark ages where we would be slaves of evil.

The same day of my return to Baghdad I felt sleepy at evening when my wife came to me running awaking me saying “someone on the door”, I opened my eyes and went to open the door and saw a multinational solders with INGs urging me to open and I opened and they went in to search the house….my house, and started to ask questions fast “ any AKs?, do you have a pistol?, what do you do for living? And more “, I took the matter easy and answered the questions and showed them the place for the rifle and the pistol and gave them the permits for those. After checking my permits they cleared to me that it was a precaution check for the neighborhood to protect the election center which is going to be in it, and I cant carry any weapon that day and if I have any information about terrorism I may tell about and urged me to go to the election and assured to me that they will be there to protect the people. After thanking us they went to the other houses for the same. It was a new experience for our family, we have never had a house search before even before April 2003, but law is law and we must respect it and let it assure our life’s order otherwise we are going to fear it as we did all our life before April 2003.

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heya Allye! :)

I was reading that site earlier too.... I think I came across this at another place you and I frequent. ;) Anyway, a fantastic site from someone who actually knows what he's talking about rather than some of us arm-chair US-Iraq critics who get our "expertise" from Googlizing news that suits our baised purposes. :sorry:

(not that I'm one of those! :holy: )

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So the "Healing Iraq" guy is skipping out of town for the elections :(

Saturday, January 22, 2005

I probably won't be blogging for a while because I'll be in Amman, Jordan, for the next few days until after the elections. A police officer that I know mentioned something to the effect that movement would be very restricted this week in Baghdad after the Eid.

The interim government had announced that elections day will be a holiday, together with the day before and day after, so there probably won't be any work at all after Eid and until February.

There are rumours circulating that telecommunications and the Internet will be blocked during this period although the government seems to have denied them. Curfews will be imposed at 6 pm according to the police, borders will close and traffic between the governorates will be halted. All in all, it's going to be a tough two weeks.

Will post again as soon as this mess is over.

# posted by zeyad : 1/22/2005 01:20:50 AM

postCount('110634251017993576'); comments (170)

Friday, January 21, 2005

Countdown to Elections

One week to elections day and the general atmosphere in the capital is eerie, yet strikingly familiar. I suspect the streets of Baghdad will look as if a war is looming this week. There is no doubt that many Iraqis regard the date of 30 January as a day of renewed hope, one they have been awaiting all their lives, but at the same time, many others are already dreading it.

Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
From "Free Iraqi" ...a Sunni Baghdad resident

http://iraqilibe.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 30, 2005

The best Eid I ever had.

Last night I couldn't sleep well. I was so excited and I wanted to be at the voting center before it even opens its door. I was afraid that I was going to be among a minority who are going to vote, but I was still very happy for rather a different reason. It's that just as I care about the outcome of this election and that democracy would work in Iraq, I cared no less about voting on a personal level. This was my way to stand against those who humiliated me, my family and my friends. It was my way of saying," You're history and you don't scare me anymore". It was my way to scream in the face of all tyrants, not just Saddam and his Ba'athists and tell them, "I don't want to be your, or anyone's slave. You have kept me in your jail all my life but you never owned my soul". It was my way of finally facing my fears and finding my courage and my humanity again.

I slept really late but I woke up at 6.30. I shaved (I do this once every century) and dressed as I was going to a party. The phone rang and I let it ring for a while before I answered. "Hey Ba'athist! Why are you still asleep? Why not go and vote?" a friend's voice came through teasing me. I tried to see if anyone started voting already so I turned on the TV and saw that few people have already done that but the reports were not very encouraging. I heard some explosions and gun shots. Some were far and some were near. I turned on the computer, made a post and checked the news.

My sister who's staying with us together with her husband and their one and a half year old son, "Mohammed", called on me to have breakfast. As I was sipping my tea I was surprised when my mother came back telling us she already voted! I envied her but I had changed my mind on rushing to vote. I decided instead to enjoy these moments to the last. I got out walked to the voting center like I was taking a walk in a park or on the bank of the river. As I got out it was still early and I saw no one on the streets but as I got near to the voting center I started seeing people in groups heading the same way. Most of them were women. I saw a crippled man and my old neighbor and his older wife leaning on their walking sticks going to vote. An old woman cleaning her door step stopped me, "Say son, can I go and vote?" She asked after she saw many people going to vote. "Sure Khala (aunt)! Everyone can". She thanked me and went inside apparently to change and get her IDs.

The voting center that was chosen in our district is a high school in the middle of the Neighborhood . This was the same place I went in 1996 to cast my vote in a poll asking if we wanted to have Saddam as a president for life or not. I had to go at that time. The threats for anyone who refused to take that poll were no less than the death penalty. Still our district was one of the places were one could vote secretly, occasionally though. They trusted our neighborhood because it's mainly Sunni military officers who live here with their families. I and some of my friends chose "NO" but we were scared to death as we marked the paper and remained so for days.

This time we went by choice and the threat was exactly the opposite. As I was walking with many people towards the center explosion hit and gun fire were heard but most were not that close. People didn't seem to pay attention to that. Some of them even brought their little kids with them! It's like the Eid but only a thousand times better.

I entered the school and the supervisors showed me the way to were I should vote. They and the ING guys were so polite and gentle. I cast my vote and got out, not in a rush at all. This is my Eid and I felt like a king walking in his own kingdom. I saw the same look of confidence and satisfaction in the eyes of all people I met. As I left one of the gurads said to me as he handed me back my cellular phone,"God bless you and your beloved ones. We don't know how to thank you. Please excuse any inconvinience on our part. We wish we didn't have to search you or limit your freedom. You are heroes" I was struck with surprise and felt ashamed. This man was risking his life all these hours in what has become the utmost target for all terrorists in Iraq and yet he's apologizing and calling us heroes. I thanked him back and told him that he and his comrads are the true heroes and that we can never be grateful enough for their services.

I'm still thrilled as I'm watching Iraqis vote allover Iraq through TV. Al Arabyia just reported that 6 thousand people in Fallujah have voted till now out of 60 thousands who have returned to their homes (total not voters). I listened to that and I felt enormous admiration and respect to those 6 thousand heroes. Things are difficult in Baghdad but it's still incomparable to Fallujah. I'm sure that the number will rise towards the end of the day.

I'm stil overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions that I don't know what to say more. The only things I can feel so strongly now are hope, excitement, pride and a strange internal peace. I have won my battle and I'm watching the whole Iraqis winning their battle too. I'll try to write to you later my friends.
A'ash Al Iraq, A'ashat America, A'ash Al Tahaluf. (Long live Iraq, long live America and long live the coalition)

Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Allye said:
So the "Healing Iraq" guy is skipping out of town for the elections :(

Saturday, January 22, 2005

I probably won't be blogging for a while because I'll be in Amman, Jordan, for the next few days until after the elections. A police officer that I know mentioned something to the effect that movement would be very restricted this week in Baghdad after the Eid.

The interim government had announced that elections day will be a holiday, together with the day before and day after, so there probably won't be any work at all after Eid and until February.

There are rumours circulating that telecommunications and the Internet will be blocked during this period although the government seems to have denied them. Curfews will be imposed at 6 pm according to the police, borders will close and traffic between the governorates will be halted. All in all, it's going to be a tough two weeks.

Will post again as soon as this mess is over.

Glad his type didn't prevail :clap:

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Allye said:
Glad his type didn't prevail :clap:

Me too. :thumbsup:

According to the BBC, officials in Iraq are cautiously stating that so far they put the figure at about a 60% turnout of registered voters. :eek: :clap: If that holds true in the coming days, I'll remain thrilled and amazed for the Iraqi people. We don't even have that kind of turnout in the US, and the Iraqis are being threatened left and right with death and beheadings if they go to the poll booth... simply amazing!

Upvote 0

Paula

Veteran
Oct 15, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,178.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Sunday's elections marked a great leap forward for the Iraqi people. I applaud all freedom-loving Iraqis for their courage and determination in getting out to the polls and casting their ballots, despite numerous reports and actual threats of violence. The percentage of voter turnout has alternatively been given ranging from 60% to 75%, which is absolutely phenomenal! It was indeed a pleasure to watch them on TV, smiling and holding up their purple fingers. The Iraqis are truly an amazing people.

Upvote 0

Paula

Veteran
Oct 15, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,178.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Some comments and links to photos from hammorabi blogspot:

==================================================

More than 35 martyred killed by suicidal attacks but much less than the words of the criminals when they said that they will wash the street of Baghdad with the blood of the Iraqis and their children.

This is the remaining of one of the suicidal cockroaches who went to the deepest layer of the Hell!
This is for the terrorists!

Some Iraqis wear shrouds as a symbol that they are ready to die for their freedom!

A pregnant woman insisted to vote and she gave birth in the voting station!

Elderly woman carried by her sons to vote!

Long queues since early morning until after the polling stations closed!

Old, young, men and women even children in their own way!

Handicapped by previous terrorist attack determined to vote!

Old person helped by their relatives to come for votes!

A man in Falluja queue told after finish voting that he don't like to oppose but to be like all other Iraqis and vote for free Iraq!!

Unexpected long queues in Baquoba in spite more insurgents there as well as in Mosel!!

For some it was emotional!

Large demonstrations happened in several areas of North Mosel because large turn out of people went to the polling station since early morning but for an unknown reason the polling boxes haven't reached there. This is may be due to security reason in these areas. People then demonstrated because they were unable to cast their voices! Is it not a big challenge to the cockroaches' thugs!

Today is the day in which the democracy and freedom born in the heart of the Middle East, in Iraq.

The enemies of freedom and democracy like Al-Jazeera (Qatari TV) concentrated today on the attacks and tried to exaggerate them. They wished for more attacks and less turn out and both have not happened.

The Iraqis showed the world a lesson how to challenge the terrorists!

http://hammorabi.blogspot.com/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums