Aug 23, 2008
Germany
✟890.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
http://english.aljazeera.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=172860

Iraqi demonstrators have staged massive anti-US rallies in Baghdad to protest the controversial US-proposed security deal.

The rallies were held as the security pact nears its final stages. Nearly a million demonstrators from different cities of the war-torn country participated in the rallies.

Denouncing the American occupation of Iraq, the crowds shouted anti-US slogans and called for ending the US presence in the oil-rich country.

"Get out occupier! We demand an end to the occupation!" shouted protesters.

The move comes a day after Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki sent the draft of the security deal to the parliament for final approval.

Last week Iraqi clerics including the anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr called for a nationwide demonstration on October 18.

On Friday, several Sunni and Shia clerics spoke out against the deal, as opposition, among Iraqis from all walks of life, was growing against it. The clerics argued that the Iraqi public knew little about the terms of the deal which could change the future of the nation.

Meanwhile, Sadr Eddin al-Qzbangi, a confidant of Iraq's most revered Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah al-Sistani said Friday that the Ayatollah has “expressed concerns about the secret provisions of the agreement."

Al-Sistani has also said any accord must have national consensus.

Al-Qzbangi said that although al-Sistani has repeatedly called for clarification of the deal, the details have not been released.

Al-Qzbangi urged the Iraqi parliament to study all the terms of the agreement very carefully.

The draft accord includes a timeline for US withdrawal by the end of 2011 and gives Baghdad limited authority to try US contractors and soldiers for major crimes committed off-duty and off-base.

Museveni

Homo Sapiens Invictus
Feb 28, 2007
Sweden
✟8,845.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Well if they are off-duty and off-base they are technicly civilians and can be tried by civilian court. Dont think they can actully "jail" them in Iraq though. Only find them guilty of something and then the US courts/ Court Martial have to sort out the punishments if they agree w/ the verdict.

When it comes to the sunday-soldiers like Blackwater and other PMC's it's only good if their immunity goes away. Will actully be able to hold them accountable when they screw up unlike now where they can pretty much gun down US soldiers even without any consequences(except that the US administration might pull the plug on their operations).

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The US military should seriously consider simply stopping all operations until the agreement passes. As far as I can tell, there is no reason to go farther than it does in protecting either side. The war is expensive, so there is no need to stay if they want to impose a caste system on our military based on their possibly immoral view of human law. I'm not saying that that is necessarily what they are doing, but it is one typical Sharia Law viewpoint.

If the Catholics are being oppressed, whether in reality or under the law, consider emancipating them and/or giving them a large endowment.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And watch out if you accuse Israel of apartheid, as the Koran contains plenty of seeds for a caste system to be openly implemented in law as a service to God. Many Christians in Palestine suffer under such systems... They are being effectively depopulated.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I do not understand why we stay if this is the general feelings of the people of Iraq. What good is being served by staying where we are not wanted and spending money that we do not have, and most of all... putting our people in harms way.. it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Here is a picture of the demonstrators.

shirsoleiman20081018092329078.jpg

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do not understand why we stay if this is the general feelings of the people of Iraq. What good is being served by staying where we are not wanted and spending money that we do not have, and most of all... putting our people in harms way.. it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Here is a picture of the demonstrators.

shirsoleiman20081018092329078.jpg
The generally feeling of the elected leaders is that some US presence is still required for them to effectively rule the country. There is also a distrust between various minorities and the majority government, which could threaten the stability of the country.

Upvote 0

Chipahualca

Aug 23, 2008
Germany
✟890.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The generally feeling of the elected leaders is that some US presence is still required for them to effectively rule the country. There is also a distrust between various minorities and the majority government, which could threaten the stability of the country.

Iraq was a very stable country prior to US invasion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's the Pottery Barn philosophy... As unpopular as the US war in Iraq is internationally (and in Iraq, and the US), the US will be looked upon even less favourably if they simple leave and Iraq collapses into massive instability and civil war. You broke it, you have to stay until you've fixed it.

Unfortunately that fixing it part is proving very complicated.

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟19,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Bush Cheney etc aren't big on admitting mistakes.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
This protest is a quite positive sign though not exactly for the reasons the OP asserts. Its significant given who orchestrated it. Muqtada Al-Sadr's prior stance on opposing the occupation favored Kalashnikovs over banners or signs. This shows a major political leader in Iraq is willingly shunning violence and, perhaps more importantly, people are following this example. My major concern earlier this year was that if Al-Sadr shifted away from violence his support and influence would crumble.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's alot more pro-US sentiment than is really expressed in the media in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not that Al Jazeera would ever willingly report on that unless a gun was held to their head, which is generally the way the locals like to do things over there.

Publicly supporting the US in Iraq is a good way to get killed, the Government under Saddam was stable because he killed opposition, my cousin in the Corps had to stand guard at the mass graves from Saddams regime. Is stability at such a cost worth it?

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081021/ts_nm/us_iraq_usa_gates_1

Door nearly closed on Iraq troop deal, Gates says

Well, at least they'll be there if it begins to collapse into a genocide. The UN will then approve later...

Iraq is playing a dangerous game... apparently someone on the outside is putting a lot of resistance into this... Probably Iran playing games with Iraqi lives, Iran likes to play games with the lives of people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Publicly supporting the US in Iraq is a good way to get killed, the Government under Saddam was stable because he killed opposition, my cousin in the Corps had to stand guard at the mass graves from Saddams regime. Is stability at such a cost worth it?
I think the stability that existed is exaggerated a bit. As is the case with most dictatorships, they can maintain profound control so long as they maintain a military or police presence, but lawlessness and dissent are far faster to spring up everywhere else and whenever that pressure is lifted. For instance he didn't even have illusion of control over the entire northern third of his country. And the southern portion required regular hazings to keep from openly rebelling.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the stability that existed is exaggerated a bit. As is the case with most dictatorships, they can maintain profound control so long as they maintain a military or police presence, but lawlessness and dissent are far faster to spring up everywhere else and whenever that pressure is lifted. For instance he didn't even have illusion of control over the entire northern third of his country. And the southern portion required regular hazings to keep from openly rebelling.
Thus the mass graves.

Upvote 0

Chipahualca

Aug 23, 2008
Germany
✟890.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thus the mass graves.

The american invasion in Iraq has led easily to four times more deaths in 5years time than were reported under 25 years' Saddam's evil evil rule. Easy math gives that the USA is about 4*25/5=20 times (!!!) more evil than Saddam Hussein.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
The american invasion in Iraq has led easily to four times more deaths in 5years time than were reported under 25 years' Saddam's evil evil rule. Easy math gives that the USA is about 4*25/5=20 times (!!!) more evil than Saddam Hussein.

The vast majority of civilian deaths in Iraq, are at the hands of other Iraqis and your Iranian brethern who come across to fight on occasion. So don't put all those deaths on our hands, when your fellow Persians helped with sending innocents to the grave.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
There were numerous anti-US rallies during the past decades, even under Saddam.

Do you know how ignorant that sounded? Of course there would be anti-US protests allowed when Sadaam was in power you twit, cause he didn't like us either. Now, how many protests were there against Sadaam's government while he was in power? Yeah, chew on that for awhile with your own self-righteousness.

Upvote 0