INVASION From the AU Forums!

mrversatile48

Jan 19, 2004
Merseyside
✟2,810.00
Faith
Christian
G'day, mates! :wave:

Just heard the brief news, on www.ucb.co.uk that they will be happening in campuses all over Oz in the next weeks? :clap:

I was on my way to get brekkie, half asleep @ the time & just barely made out titles like "What if God...?"

(Who said natural state for a pom, eh?) ;)

Anyway, anyone know veteran Southport Elim Pastor Bill Gulliford, 87, who was on mission in many parts of New South Wales, Gold Coast & NZ, last Nov/Feb?

I'm sure he now has less than a year to go to break the world record for long service in the ministry - he used to hit the headlines as "Boy Preacher Comes To..." - @ age 13

By the twinkle in his eye, he's still the Boy Preacher

Bonza!

Ciao 4 now!

Ian

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LivingWorship said:
Actually on the outskirts of Sydney they do cull the kangas... they have encroached on city land and so some councils saw fit to kill some off... I'm not totally supportive but havgin said that I've seen the horror stories! What a rogue roo can do to a speeding car on the freeway is staggering!
We have "deer season" for the same reason - all of it.

Upvote 0

Wolflily

Saved by the Grace of God, thank you Jesus!
Jan 8, 2004
New Hampshire, USA
✟10,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LivingWorship said:
he he... we do speak the lingo in the city but we're not quite as strong on it... but there'll always be the "on your bike..." or "Pull the ladder up Jack" or "she'll be right mate"... what I did mean, especially for dear Wolfy is that it is probably a touch exaggerated by the foreigners - yes we Aussie folk have our own vernacular but it's not quite Steve Irwin for all of us... that's all I meant! I hope i haven't shattered the American dream of what Aussies are all about... :sorry: :o :sigh:

Oh, never, LW!!! You just confirmed your general looniness, that's all!
I do like Steve Irwin, though. He's a gas. Well, when he isn't endangering his kids' lives, that is! ;)

Upvote 0

Wolflily

Saved by the Grace of God, thank you Jesus!
Jan 8, 2004
New Hampshire, USA
✟10,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you aussies know that kangaroo meat is used in special dog food diets for dogs with severe food/skin allergies? When dogs are allergic to things like pollen, dust, etc., they don't get sinus symptoms, their skin goes haywire and they can literally chew/scratch themselves to pieces. Dr's have determined that putting them on a diet of a meat they've never been exposed to will help dramatically, and since every meat in America is or has been used in one type of dog food or another, it's a good chance any dog has eaten any kind. Hence, kangaroo. So now you know where all those roos you're killing end up.

Wierd, huh?

Upvote 0

mrversatile48

Jan 19, 2004
Merseyside
✟2,810.00
Faith
Christian
Wolflily said:
Did you aussies know that kangaroo meat is used in special dog food diets for dogs with severe food/skin allergies? When dogs are allergic to things like pollen, dust, etc., they don't get sinus symptoms, their skin goes haywire and they can literally chew/scratch themselves to pieces. Dr's have determined that putting them on a diet of a meat they've never been exposed to will help dramatically, and since every meat in America is or has been used in one type of dog food or another, it's a good chance any dog has eaten any kind. Hence, kangaroo. So now you know where all those roos you're killing end up.

Must go 4 a hot dog!!!!!!!! :D

Wierd, huh?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Wolflily said:
Crazy stuff going on in the world.
Do you guys have turkey at all over there? Now THERE's some good eats!! You've got to have yourselves a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner. It's to die for.
Turkey comes in little round pastry things called meat pies. Along with the nutrition of 40 different kinds of meats including meat itself :).

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Wolflily said:
Crazy stuff going on in the world.
Do you guys have turkey at all over there? Now THERE's some good eats!! You've got to have yourselves a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner. It's to die for.
Wondering, what's thanks giving anyway? We dont have that here in aus do we?

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
Thanksgiving is just that - a specific holiday (officially declared by one of our more famous presidents, Abraham Lincoln) designated for giving thanks to God (except in the PC world of today... it's a generic giving of thanks... sigh) for anything that we're thankful for! Our church does a Thanksgiving Eve service, and I'd say that it's my favorite special service of the entire year. Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, and all those are always WAY over-scripted, but at Thanksgiving, they have an open mic at various times... it's real nice :)

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You probably know about the historic reason for it, as people outside of the US know more US history than Americans.

As far as the "generic" thanksgiving goes, here's the gist:

It usually means a great big huge dinner at someone's house (either family or friends or both), and there is so much food to eat - probably the most you will eat all year in one sitting. In some houses it's a formal dinner with china, in some it is a buffet line in the kitchen with paper plates, and in others it's something inbetween - food is just as good any way it's served. The one thing everyone has in common is the Turkey (though some serve ham instead), and that can be baked, roasted, smoked, bbq'd or deep fried whole. The idea is that if you are hosting it, your house is open for everyone you invite and anyone you find out doesn't have a place to go for the dinner, at least that's how we always handled it.

There are a lot of football games playing - where I live, two high shools who have had a rivalry for 80 years, will have a football game. Big cities have huge parades that are televised nationwide.

It's always on the last Thursday of the month. Many businesses go ahead and close on Friday, so a lot of people get a 4 day weekend out of it. The Friday after Thanksgiving is the traditional first day of the Christmas shopping season. Stores will open as early as midnight, if they weren't already open on Thanksgiving. For some families, it is a tradition to get up at the crack of dawn to go shopping.

However, like Pope said, most churches have a fantastic Thanksgiving service that reminds us that we need to give thanks for what God has given us, which is the true meaning of the Holiday.

Upvote 0

mystery4

Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Faith
SDA
LivingWorship said:
We got rugby league and aussie rules down here! But the main game's soccer... if only it were bigger in Australia! How's the pro scene in soccer in the US? IS MLS still running?

obviously you've never been to WA... aussie rules is the main game... (theres always a big debate when the western derby's on ;))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mystery4

Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Faith
SDA
just wondering... whats people's fav meals? mine is bangers n mash covered in dead horse followed by a great big serving of pavlova *licks lips* mmm...delicious... ooh and don't forget the cadbury for after tea. :D oh yea and when I'm camping... its the damper (mind you made with gluten free flour)... comeon all you blokes n' shelias lets find out what things you love eatin'
hope all you yanks are havin' a lovely arvo at present...

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
mystery4 said:
just wondering... whats people's fav meals? mine is bangers n mash covered in dead horse followed by a great big serving of pavlova *licks lips* mmm...delicious... ooh and don't forget the cadbury for after tea. :D oh yea and when I'm camping... its the damper (mind you made with gluten free flour)... comeon all you blokes n' shelias lets find out what things you love eatin'
hope all you yanks are havin' a lovely arvo at present...
Ah gotta love that stuff :)

Upvote 0

feathergirl

Aurora's Mama
Aug 6, 2004
New York
Visit site
✟10,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi aussies,
I'm from NY...I kinda missed the mid atlantic invasion...so I'll just say hi here. I just found this website last week anyways. I been kinda looking around the aussie forums. hehe. More fun than staying in my own. Someday I'm gonna go to NZ/Aussie...maybe I won't go back to the states either. That'd be fun.
See ya, Heather.

Upvote 0