Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is probably not the best site for asking pet advice, but since there is a forum for it, and this is my only online home these days, I figure it’s worth asking.

My daughter came home for a visit for a few weeks (which is wonderful) and brought her almost one year old kitten with her. Very active kitten, large, playful, but not used to other cats. We already have an old (15-16 years) cat. Not energetic, used to being alone, grumpy. They don’t get along very well, and it is very stressful on all (cats and people...but especially the older cat).

It may be that the kitten will be a longer term visitor with us. Any suggestions on helping the two cats become friends and easing this transition?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: Dreger

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not a good idea to just bring two cats together, they need time.It can be very stressful especially for the older cat. The best solution i know when bringing cats together is putting the cats in seperate rooms. Little by little introducere them to each other, two minutes or so a day. If one of the cats have toys or blankets or something put that thing in the other cats room, and vice versa so they will get used to each others smell. It may take lots of patience but it's not impossible.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is not a good idea to just bring two cats together, they need time.It can be very stressful especially for the older cat. The best solution i know when bringing cats together is putting the cats in seperate rooms. Little by little introducere them to each other, two minutes or so a day. If one of the cats have toys or blankets or something put that thing in the other cats room, and vice versa so they will get used to each others smell. It may take lots of patience but it's not impossible.
Thank you for the reply and advice. It’s a very stressful time for both of them, I fear.

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

Daniel Newhouse

May 12, 2018
Niceville
✟29,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never really seen rime nor reason on cats making friends. Sometimes they have to get used to each other. It seams to help if one or more if one of the cats is very young.

I have a cat who jumps up on me and purrs once a day.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've never really seen rime nor reason on cats making friends. Sometimes they have to get used to each other. It seams to help if one or more if one of the cats is very young.

I have a cat who jumps up on me and purrs once a day.
Thanks for the reply. One of them is about a year old and one is about fifteen. They are slowly getting used to each other, but still are not good friends. They both are very friendly and affectionate with my wife and I, though.

Upvote 0

Claudia Zimmer

Jun 5, 2018
Rheinland-Pfalz
Visit site
✟9,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It could be that the old cat doesn't want to have a young friend. Perhaps a second young cat would solve the problem. The old one could watch (like TV) as the youngsters play with each other. Or the young boy gets a room for himself.

I hope you will find a good way for each of you. God bless.

Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Showtoyou,
Cats are not "social" animals and thus cannot be simply placed together and have the outcome always as hoped. Soul-searching's post is correct, though this link will give you the full details: How to Introduce Cats | petMD
I figured it was smarter for me to give you a link to a good and reputable site on introducing cats than for me to rattle off what I know and how things have worked for me in the past and all my cats. ;) I suggest you review the site information and print out the page and use it. I have introduced a lot of cats, initially NOT following proper introduction protocol and many following it and some a mix. It is not worth the possible outcome if you do not do it right. ;) Older cats and kittens/younger cats can get along and not have a fight/flight every time they see each other.

Good luck with the kitties and please post back after and let us know how it worked and what you did. :)

Sincerely,

David

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our neighbour's female barn cat has been coming around our house and my female indoor cat and her do not like each other! They are curious, sure, but the other day I let my cat out to see what would happen. Lots of hair raising and hissing! lol The neighbour's cat seems to be a little bit older and from the looks of it has had kittens. She's probably thinking my cat is a spoiled, privileged Princess. ^_^

Upvote 0