Glasgow
✟7,905.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I’m JohnArran. I’ve been married now for over 40 years. I’m retired. My Christian faith can best be described as conservative evangelical. Writers like J I Packer, J R W Scott, M Loyd-Jones and more recently J Piper and D A Carson have shaped my thinking. My greatest trial has been depression which has dogged me most of my adult life. It has taught me to rejoice in the Lord and trust in a way I may not otherwise have done. Before retiring I was a Secondary schoolteacher. The Bible, I believe is the sole authority in faith and practice.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Welcome, brother!

I know that you must be saturating yourself in the word if you are reading/listening to such men, especially J.I. Packer and Martyn Lloyd-Jones! Great to hear that the Lord has continually kept you near and close to Him. I always found these verses encouraging when depression tries to sneak back into my life, and I begin to think that God is not watching over me in my darkest hours:
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,” even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.
- Psalm 139:11-12
God bless!

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,198.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

hello_friend.gif

Welcome to Christian Forums,
John!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟421,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@JohnArrran ,
Welcome to ChristianForums! Enjoy your time with us. We are a very welcoming community of believers and nonbelievers alike. Its my hope and prayer you visit often and enjoy the topics discussed! :)

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I’m JohnArran. I’ve been married now for over 40 years. I’m retired. My Christian faith can best be described as conservative evangelical. Writers like J I Packer, J R W Scott, M Loyd-Jones and more recently J Piper and D A Carson have shaped my thinking. My greatest trial has been depression which has dogged me most of my adult life. It has taught me to rejoice in the Lord and trust in a way I may not otherwise have done. Before retiring I was a Secondary schoolteacher. The Bible, I believe is the sole authority in faith and practice.
HI John!
Welcome to CF; May the Lord Jesus guide you here as well as in the world; and may you find friends and what ever you need from the Lord here.

I do have a question for you; do you like music--Praise & Worship music?

I have found; in times of trouble; like we have with this CV-19; that listening to; and singing along to good Christian P&W music; can bring us closer to Jesus and His wonderful peace.

Well we have a new forum here at CF just for P&W music and at the top is a directory of other Christian music threads around CF; come and take a look!:wave:

Praise and Worship Music

images

To The

upload_2016-11-18_15-19-26.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums