United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the Washington Post (often a dubious source but they quote Gallup):

“More than 3 million more people lacked health insurance at the end of 2017 relative to the end of 2016, according to the Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index. A recent estimate of the connection between a lack of insurance and mortality suggests that for every 800 people without insurance for a year, one will die — meaning that 4,000 more people may have died during the year than would have had they been covered.

That increase in the percentage began in the first quarter of Donald Trump’s presidency. In the fourth quarter of 2016, the percentage of uninsured adults in the United States was 10.9 percent — a low after three years of declines following the passage of the Affordable Care Act (better known as Obamacare). In 2013, before the law went into effect, nearly 1 in 5 adults lacked insurance. Over the course of last year, that figure rose again to 12.2 percent.

The largest driver for this change, Gallup reports, was people declining to buy their own insurance. Over the course of 2017, as Republicans on Capitol Hill debated the shape of a possible repeal of the ACA, the mandate that individuals have health-care coverage was a frequent target of rhetoric. In December, as part of the sweeping tax-overhaul bill signed into law by Trump, that mandate was repealed. An analysis of the effects of that measure by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office in November found that the repeal would lead to 13 million fewer people with insurance coverage by 2027 — and 4 million more by 2019.”

• Informative
Reactions: iluvatar5150

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
From the Washington Post (often a dubious source but they quote Gallup):

“More than 3 million more people lacked health insurance at the end of 2017 relative to the end of 2016, according to the Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index. A recent estimate of the connection between a lack of insurance and mortality suggests that for every 800 people without insurance for a year, one will die — meaning that 4,000 more people may have died during the year than would have had they been covered.

That increase in the percentage began in the first quarter of Donald Trump’s presidency. In the fourth quarter of 2016, the percentage of uninsured adults in the United States was 10.9 percent — a low after three years of declines following the passage of the Affordable Care Act (better known as Obamacare). In 2013, before the law went into effect, nearly 1 in 5 adults lacked insurance. Over the course of last year, that figure rose again to 12.2 percent.

The largest driver for this change, Gallup reports, was people declining to buy their own insurance. Over the course of 2017, as Republicans on Capitol Hill debated the shape of a possible repeal of the ACA, the mandate that individuals have health-care coverage was a frequent target of rhetoric. In December, as part of the sweeping tax-overhaul bill signed into law by Trump, that mandate was repealed. An analysis of the effects of that measure by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office in November found that the repeal would lead to 13 million fewer people with insurance coverage by 2027 — and 4 million more by 2019.”
What is missing is the hike in Obamacare cost by 2016.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Covering people with preexisting conditions (without driving them into bankruptcy and homelessness with the expense) DID drive up the cost of the Affordable Care Act.

I think that everyone needs to be aware that most of them are one serious illness away from medical bankruptcy. And those illnesses are unpredictable, and unjust, and unfair. My brother was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at 34, and in the ensuing thirty years, his medical costs have been catstrophic. I have a grandnephew with profound mental and physical handicaps that has probably cost the state millions. (This boy is the kind of child that pro-lifers love to "save" and love to tell the parents to stop being leeches on the taxpayers after he is born.) I have cousins who had premature twins. People should look at people like them and say, "There but for the grace of God go I. Thank God I'm healthy. Thank God my children are healthy."
But the ACA needed adjusting--not disbanding. Families of four with $90,000 incomes complained that they did not get any ACA subsidies. I understand, particularly if they live in places like California or NY. I think that the ACA should provide subsidies to every family whose medical costs are over 10% of their annual incomes--even if their annual income is $100,000 or $120,000. These families spend loads of money on high-deductible policies and complain...but NOT covering those with preexisting conditions is a danger to all of us. When you become ill--and all of us will someday--the insurance you paid for will cancel your policy when you need it most otherwise.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is missing is the hike in Obamacare cost by 2016.
It depends on what side you fall on. Ours went down about 6 k a year. But I know it went up for others. Even with Obamacare, health care still isn't affordable for most people.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that everyone needs to be aware that most of them are one serious illness away from medical bankruptcy.
The problem is, those who are insulated from that, don't give a rat's patooty about those who aren't. And they run the whole system.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0