Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think I gotta be with another Pentecostal. I got to a Foursquare church, and I admire how the believers worship at my current congregation.
Cool beans!

*off-topic*

I started a thread in the suggestions forum for a Protestant board. If anybody is Protestant or even if they prefer the term Reformer (like Anabaptists and some Anglicans) I would love it if they went and added their two cents. We have a magnificent history that we all share in and I would love to have a place to go. There is an Apostolic forum so I don't think it would ruffle any feathers!

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think I gotta be with another Pentecostal. I got to a Foursquare church, and I admire how the believers worship at my current congregation.

same here - I attend a FourSquare church as well and its just my opinion only and thats all it is but I would prfer to date or be with someone that beleives a I do and would go to my church (or her's if its on I can agree with).

I have known couples that the wife went to one faith adn the husband to another and they had very little to talk about when it came to church. it was like a division in the house.

Upvote 0
S

SonicBOOM

Would you date a Christian of a different denomination than you? Why or why not? How important do you think it is to be the same denomination? I am really and honestly curious to this question as I think it's very important. I think lot's of Christians may think that it dosen't matter but I think it does. Big time! What are your thoughts? :scratch:

it means very little to me personally. I was spiritailly raised in a pentecostal church and I would prefer a cathlic girl over anything else. I love cathlic people... their usaully very down to earth and insightful.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Generally speaking, I'd probably find no issue with the other mainline or high churches, but I would have issues with the Evangelical, Fundamentalist, or generally conservative (in the Protestant sense, not as in 'traditional') denoms/churches. It's not a wound I'd like to open up again, or expose possible future children to.

Even granted that, it can't be held down to simply that aspect of affiliation. I'm more of an issues person, and even if they might assent to one of those churches I find problems with, if they don't feel threatened by my beliefs or feel the need to try to convert me lest I be damned to eternal hellfire (for whatever reason they would have for thinking that about another Christian) then I think it would be less of an issue for me.

Upvote 0

Love233

Aug 15, 2007
✟12,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
it means very little to me personally. I was spiritailly raised in a pentecostal church and I would prefer a cathlic girl over anything else. I love cathlic people... their usaully very down to earth and insightful.
:angel: thanks!

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Would you date a Christian of a different denomination than you? Why or why not? How important do you think it is to be the same denomination? I am really and honestly curious to this question as I think it's very important. I think lot's of Christians may think that it dosen't matter but I think it does. Big time! What are your thoughts? :scratch:
My ex was Baptist and I am Methodist. For a while, we attended Weds. night bible study at his church and Sunday mornings at mine (I taught Sunday School). Eventually, we stopped attending the Baptist church all together and only attended my church. He made the decision on his own.

My sister married a Greek guy, who was active in the Greek church. They even got married in the Greek church. However, they tried alternating b/w Methodist church and Greek church and just couldn't make it work for them. So, they now attend a non-denominational church that they both love.

I think it depends on the couple.

I have actually started attending their church, too. I haven't found a Methodist church in this area that I like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

It doesn't make any difference to me. My boyfriend is Lutheran and I'm still figuring out what to call myself :p .

As long as the person agrees with the issues that I feel are essential, and vice versa, then I don't really see an issue with it at all.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't make any difference to me. My boyfriend is Lutheran and I'm still figuring out what to call myself :p .

As long as the person agrees with the issues that I feel are essential, and vice versa, then I don't really see an issue with it at all.

You would fit in well in the ELCA if they don't fall off the deep end. Actually I think IP would too.

But then again the ELCA is about ready to go off the deep end so you may want to wait. I'm already plotting my escape in case I have to abandon ship.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You would fit in well in the ELCA if they don't fall off the deep end. Actually I think IP would too.

But then again the ELCA is about ready to go off the deep end so you may want to wait. I'm already plotting my escape in case I have to abandon ship.

I have found that I do agree with most of the Lutheran theology. So far there hasn't been anything that Brandon and I disagree on theologically, though I might be just a *bit* more liberal then he is ;)

I want to do some more research though. I was raised in a Conservatice Baptist home and I actually had my best friend tell me (she was raised more conservatively then I was) that when she heard Brandon was Lutheran it was a red flag to her. She didn't want me to get involved in some liberal cult :doh:

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have found that I do agree with most of the Lutheran theology. So far there hasn't been anything that Brandon and I disagree on theologically, though I might be just a *bit* more liberal then he is ;)

I want to do some more research though. I was raised in a Conservatice Baptist home and I actually had my best friend tell me (she was raised more conservatively then I was) that when she heard Brandon was Lutheran it was a red flag to her. She didn't want me to get involved in some liberal cult :doh:

The LCMS is probably at least as conservative as your baptist church.

The ELCA is a huge variety. On one side you have moderate congregations and on the other side you have insanely left congregations who are trying to get the national organiation to approve a rite of gay marriage.

Unfortunutly not everyone knows this so what often crosses the news is "Lutheran's debate gay marriage" which makes every Lutheran sound insanely liberal because people arn't aware there are 3 different major Lutheran churchs.

The LCMS and WELS hate that. If I have to abandon ship it will probably either be to LCMS or United Methodist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what do you have against Catholics...? just curious

He umm just got banned for his Anti-Catholic statements.

He has a unreasonable hatred of the Catholic church.

Now for me I'm not sure because I have to tell you honestly. I don't know that I'd want my kids learning from a Catholic catheism.

But I also teach the catheism in the Lutheran church so it might not be overly surprising.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well...

I might stick out like a sore thumb but what the heck; for me, denominations are very important. Extremely important, as a matter of fact.

I am having issues with a friend of mine that have been brewing over time; she does not really know it yet and I can't seem to tell her; she is nondenominational but she seems to have Baptist leanings from her upbringing even though she doesn't go to a Baptist church anymore. She doesn't think Catholics are Christians but I have been interested in Catholicism for some time but have not told her yet. I see myself being more in accordance with Catholic beliefs over Protestant beliefs; to the point where I forsee myself being Catholic someday. She and I are at odds on some issues and this is where it gets pigheaded: I don't really care to work out these conflicts with her. She has been sort of a mentor for me since I became Christian (when I became Christian, I didn't know "where I felt I belonged as a Christian") but ever since I have been thinking of Catholicism, I am feeling estranged.

Why am I saying this? Because if I can feel this frustrated about a friend, then it goes without saying that I don't have the patience at this time (yes I am pigheaded in this department) to date a Protestant because my intention is not to compromise my beliefs for anyone. If it is this difficult for a friend, then it would be even worse for a spouse/boyfriend. The husband is supposed to be the spiritual leader of the home; how can that be possible if the husband supports beliefs that I reject or rejects beliefs that I support? It won't work and it shouldn't have to.

I know, it's kinda blunt. But I don't really know how else to say it. I don't "hate" anyone; I get frustrated however; not a good thing to admit:(It's just that personally being involved in interdenominational conflicts in "real" life is very embittering; I am speaking from experience. I want to avoid it in the future if I can.

Upvote 0

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
After having a bad experience with a couple of certain denominations in the last year....I have to say that denomination DOES matter to me. However, if someone is of a 'similar' denomination, it might work out. I honestly hadn't thought about it until recently. When I think about my past relationships (with 'Christian' men), I think one of the things that made it 'wrong' was we were of not like-minded faith practices.

Oddly enough, God has led me to a church whose members are mostly old enough to be my grandparents. No chance of meeting Mr. Right there.....guess He's trying to tell me something once and for all.....

Upvote 0