Mar 1, 2004
Hazard, Kentucky
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. It details his account of how he came to embrace the Christian faith, and moreover is one of his most quotable books, where many famous quotes of his are to be found (such as "Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly").

Also Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen. The title sufficiently indicates the contents of the book, of course, but his is one of the most inspirational books outside of Scripture that I have ever come across.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The book that helped me the most besides the bible has been Battlefield of the mind.
I'm also doing a devotion right now called A confident heart,which has been speaking volumes to me.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Besides the book of Proverbs, there's a book titled "The Joy of Fearing God" by Jerry bridges that gives powerful insight into what exactly the "fear of the Lord" is and how it can never be defined by man's finite terms or understood by man's finite mind, but can only be defined by our inexplicable God.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

"The fear of the Lord is a Life Giving Fountain." ~Proverbs 14:27

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Besides the book of Proverbs, there's a book titled "The Joy of Fearing God" by Jerry bridges that gives powerful insight into what exactly the "fear of the Lord" is and how it can never be defined by man's finite terms or understood by man's finite mind, but can only be defined by our inexplicable God.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

"The fear of the Lord is a Life Giving Fountain." ~Proverbs 14:27

Thanks Brinny! I just ordered a copy at abebooks. I really like Jerry Bridges.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yer welcome. I had never heard of Jerry Bridges. He has profound insights in this book.

Reading his book Transforming Grace was one of the key turning points in my conversion to Christianity. He helped me understand the basic foundations of Christianity i.e. grace.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reading his book Transforming Grace was one of the key turning points in my conversion to Christianity. He helped me understand the basic foundations of Christianity i.e. grace.

Ms. KEA44: Really? :) How interesting!

You must have derived great benefit from it!

So how does he approach his subject; maybe from Ephesians, where 'grace' is one of the keywords?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

katehasbrouck

Jul 9, 2014
Florida
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey all, new here to the forums! :)

I would say that Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost by Warren Wiersbe is a great book about the books Ruth and Esther. I read this in a book club with some friends and we all took turns sharing our insights about the different chapters. Brought us closer to each other and to God!

Another great one is Next Door Savior by Max Lucado. I like the realness that this book displays about Christ, and how real He is. It makes me really remember and reflect on the fact that Christ is living and with us everyday!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums