Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone recommend a particular book or anything for someone inquiring about Catholicism? I was raised in an area that has very little Catholics. However, in my search for where God wants me, I always come back to the Catholic Church. I know nothing firsthand about it. I have no friends or anything that are Catholic. All I have ever heard is from the Protestant side that is anti-Catholic giving me all the reasons against it. I'd like to hear all the basis for it and why certain things are done, believed, practiced, etc and where it all started and came from. You know, stuff like that!

God Bless anyone who helps!

Reactions: PassthePeace1

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...like I'm qualified...

but these are good and were recommended to me by fine OBOBers

Rome Sweet Home (Hahn)
Born Fundamentalist/Born Again Catholic (Currie)

These are particularly good since they come from a protestant-to-catholic journey.

Can't beat the Catechism, but you'd find Catholicism and Fundamentalism (Keating) interesting in that it's an RC apologetic written for RCs to refute the usual protestant protests against RC theology. Can be a little "harsh" in the sense that it's written not for protestants, but really a great read for understanding RC teachings.

:wave: OBOB, haven't seen ya in awhile:hug:

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nothing like hearing the anti side and especially those things which are so bad. Got me really interested in the Catholic Church. Got me to thinking no church could be as bad as some of the myths I was told for facts, and last approx. 2000 years. I actually started defending, some were so bad or weird. Made me finally wanna really hear/find out, so my search was on. :) I started with the one poor Catholic I knew, who I drove bananas with my questions, all the little pamphlets at the back of the church, then I tackled the Parish Priest, got the Catechism and was off on some heated debates and info. What a journey. :D That was some time ago. Come to think of it, I am still learning. Gonna go get that Rome Sweet Home myself and read it. God bless you muchly.

-Peace-

Upvote 0

ConanTheLibrarian

Nov 11, 2005
Pyongtaek, South Korea
✟8,033.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Catholic Christianity, by Peter Kreeft
Healing the original wound, by Benedict Groeschel
I'll also second Catholicism for dummies

The Compendium of the Catechism is good for those who might find the Cathechism too intimidating.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Something like the Catechism is good for reference. To answer your specific questions (but I must warn you, it was compiled by Catholics and so it can be difficult to navigate). I wouldn't read it front to back, it can be a little dry.

'Catholicism and Fundamentalism' is very good. It is divided up into chapters which answer comprehensively the questions and objections often raised. I also recommend 'The Faith Explained' by Leo J Trese, and I really enjoyed the 'Surprised by Truth' books (there are three) by Patrick Madrid.

If you have questions, there is a Catholic Q&A section at www.ewtn.org which is quite good, and the people here can often search out answers to your questions if they don't know them off the top of their heads. We're all quite happy to do that.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the last year, I've bought and given as gifts half a dozen copies of Dale Ahlquist 's Common Sense 101--Lessons from Chesterton.

Two of my best customers are cradle Catholics who hadn't been exposed to this side of their church. They've passed it on to their kids. It is a very readable book. Humor mixed with profound insights which make you think..."I knew that". Not necessary to read straight through. Pick it up anywhere and it entertains. Alquist's second book, G. K. Chesterton--The Apostle of Common Sense is slighlty heavier--a bridge between 101 and reading Chesterton himself. These are, of course, introductions but I've found them useful because they have an immediate impact even if one has little interest in the church or theology at all. Everyone I've given a copy to has said the same thing: "He writes as if he is writing about what is happening today, not 80 years ago!" Pretty powerful statement both to how accessible Chesterton is and to the eternal nature of the truth.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hey WA, the green hair looks good...I think^_^

:blush: Awww shucks. Thanks.

Nothing like hearing the anti side and especially those things which are so bad. Got me really interested in the Catholic Church. Got me to thinking no church could be as bad as some of the myths I was told for facts, and last approx. 2000 years. I actually started defending, some were so bad or weird. Made me finally wanna really hear/find out, so my search was on. :) I started with the one poor Catholic I knew, who I drove bananas with my questions, all the little pamphlets at the back of the church, then I tackled the Parish Priest, got the Catechism and was off on some heated debates and info. What a journey. :D That was some time ago. Come to think of it, I am still learning. Gonna go get that Rome Sweet Home myself and read it. God bless you muchly.

-Peace-
Wow..fascinating.

I became more interested in defending my faith when I started dating a JW. ;)

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfIAm

Nov 10, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks everyone, I will see if I can get my hands on these.

You know, I have attempted to speak to priests locally, but they do not seem receptive. Is the RCC not very active in "recruiting" or conversion attempts? I sent one priest an email and it took over 2 months before I got a response. The response was "come in to the Parish and we'll talk." Well, I'm not necessarily ready for face to face conversation. I had asked simple questions and he could have taken the time to respond and left the door open.

Anyway, I am not at all sure how the RCC handles things, so maybe the priest was not the guy to talk to. Don't know!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

ConanTheLibrarian

Nov 11, 2005
Pyongtaek, South Korea
✟8,033.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Catholics may be getting better at evangelization. I wouldn't have just now changed by faith icon from Lutheran to Catholic otherwise.

I think someone has already mentioned Catholic Answers. EWTN has been another influence for me. It is exciting to see people who know and are excited about their faith. I'll paste those links, just in case.

Catholic Answers:
http://www.catholic.com/

EWTN:
http://www.ewtn.com/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone, I will see if I can get my hands on these.

You know, I have attempted to speak to priests locally, but they do not seem receptive. Is the RCC not very active in "recruiting" or conversion attempts? I sent one priest an email and it took over 2 months before I got a response. The response was "come in to the Parish and we'll talk." Well, I'm not necessarily ready for face to face conversation. I had asked simple questions and he could have taken the time to respond and left the door open.

Anyway, I am not at all sure how the RCC handles things, so maybe the priest was not the guy to talk to. Don't know!

Thanks again!

I e-mailed my local Parish last Friday morning. I got a response that afternoon. After a flurry of e-mails I am meeting with the priest tomorrow morning after Mass. I am very excited about this.

I recommend that you do meet face to face. Most priests are not very comfortable with the electronic age.

Upvote 0

Amylisa

Yeshua's love is my life
Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
✟23,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,:wave:
Something that REALLY helped me was a bunch of free CDs from a place called www.catholicity.com. They have several that are especially helpful, one of which is The Conversion story of Scott Hahn. Another by a Priest is called, The Mass Explained. They only ask for $1 a piece for mailing them. I give them out to friends now.

Also check out www.scotthahn.com. As you may know by now, he was a Presbyterian minister, teacher of theology, you name it. A true Bible scholar, who now is Catholic.

God bless you in your study! And God bless your family.

Upvote 0

Amylisa

Yeshua's love is my life
Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
✟23,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One more thing...
at catholicity.com you will find 3 free fictional novels there. If you enjoy reading, GET THEM! I loved them and they were instrumental in fueling my interest in Catholicism when I was first becoming serious about converting. I converted because God gave me faith in Jesus' Real Presence in the Eucharist. And I only learned later on that this belief is Pivotal in Catholic faith.

Again, God bless you!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I second anything by Scott Hahn. Catholicism for Dummies is also good. I didn't really understand the CCC until I had a basic understanding of the faith. There's also free courses and books available online. "We Believe... a Survey of the Catholic Faith" is one of them. I'll try to look up the link if I can find it.

Go to mass as often as you can.

If you live in an area with very few Catholics, there is a good chance your local priest might be the pastor for more than one parish and is on the road a lot. At any rate, priests are very busy these days, be patient with them. My first inquiry into the Church was with the Director of Religious Education who was a nun. After that it was right into RCIA and some of the most exciting days of my life.

God bless you!:)

Tad

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
o

He's probably super busy... most priests are! :)

Also, they tend to deal with "real world" people before they get to the "virtual" ones, because people who are physically there are, well... there. And harder to ignore or put off. An email would seem "less important"

If you're not ready for face-to-face you can always ask questions here in OBOB. If we don't know the answer we can look it up in the Catechism! (I sooo love that book).

I third the reccomendation for Catholicism for Dummies. Like all "For Dummies" books it's easu to understand, has a comprehensive index AND unlike othe "for Dummies" books it also has an Imprimatur!

God be with you in you search,
HofB

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.