✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
inspiried by this thread

do you think inner beauty literally exists? Like more than just "choosing to love people", what I mean is do you think there's an inner glow in us that makes us more attractive to others than our bodies do? I beleive there is. Expecaully when i'm talking to a real man or woman of God, i'll just sense this inner beauty in them and I'll be drawn to them.

There is no such thing as "inner beauty".

And there is no such thing as "outer beauty" or "external beauty".

There is simply what shows and what does not show.

There is nothing "inner" or "outer" about any of it.

I keep hearing people equate things like "personality" with "inner beauty". Well, what if a person wears all of his personality on his sleeve?

What shows and what does not show varies between every individual. Therefore, there is no quality or feature that can be perceived with the five senses that is universally "inner".

Some qualities and features tend to not show, of course. For example, the internal organs tend to not show and tend to only be seen by people who are purposefully looking for them, such as surgeons.

Other qualities and features, on the other hand, tend to show and be seen almost all of the time. Facial features. Hair. Eyes. Skin. Etc.

In Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy Simon Blackburn describes Philosophy as "structural engineering". Well, "inner beauty" is a structurally unsound concept that along with everything that it supports, such as the idea that "inner beauty" is a more reliable barometer for judging people than "external beauty", collapses under the weight of a little critical thinking.

Upvote 0

God Child

Anointed Servant
Apr 25, 2005
fairbanks, Alaska
✟23,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To determine whether or not inner beauty exists, it would be necessary to come to some sort of conclusion as to the definition. My concept of inner beauty is interpreted by the words people use and the choices they make and whether or not they are in some way related to positive qualities. Though i usually don't go around thinking deep thoughts about whether or or not he/she (whomever i meet or see or whatever) has this quality or that quality and make judgments about that person as a whole, i nonetheless from time to time notice. Though the definition of beauty in general i believe to be entirely subjective, I'll just explain what i think "inner beauty" is and then decide whether or not it exists (in reality). I think inner beauty is the values (opinions etc) a person holds to. Values are often reflected in behavior, and generally when some behavior is noticed, it can be intuitively grasped whether or not that behavior is positive. I believe we all have both positive and negative behavior and therefore all of us have "inner beauty" to some extent. Like was stated before, this is not always apparent as qualities and values tend to surface in situations, and not all situations (experiences etc) happen everyday so as to notice. That being written, i believe inner beauty exists, however that belief depends entirely on the definition :)

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
inspiried by this thread

do you think inner beauty literally exists? Like more than just "choosing to love people", what I mean is do you think there's an inner glow in us that makes us more attractive to others than our bodies do? I beleive there is. Expecaully when i'm talking to a real man or woman of God, i'll just sense this inner beauty in them and I'll be drawn to them.
Without a doubt there is. You will see it in many people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I believe there is inner beauty. And when the person is gorgeous on the outside too, it makes it even that much better. (Like the guy in my latest blog.... yum)
I hate to say this but that type of thinking is a huge problem in today's society.

Inner beauty is completely different from what is out beauty.

Those who are beautiful to look at are sometimes the ugliest people on this earth because of their inner self. Those who are ugly to look at are sometimes the most beautiful people on this earth because of their inner self.

I would rather have an ugly appearance and beautiful heart than a beautiful appearance and nothing on inside

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There are few people with true inner beauty, and fewer still women with true inner beauty.
That's a sad outlook and shows nothing more but a cynical heart.

I have seen and met many a beautiful woman and man and what makes it is their heart for God and not their outside appearance.

Upvote 0
S

SonicBOOM

I have seen and met many a beautiful woman and man and what makes it is their heart for God and not their outside appearance.

it all depends on what we choose to see [and it is a choice, this is what God's been teaching me lately]. For example when i was in college, I had the biggest heart-warming encounter with the greatest people I have ever met, they were sweethearts and I will never forget them. However the facilty members stole my tuition money and kicked me out for unjust reasons, they used me in the worst way and it was the biggest act of betrayl I've ever encountered, when I was at college it was both the best and worst time of my life. For the longest time I've been looking at the negitive but I'm finding alot of freedom now that I see that so many people genuinly loved me there and touched my heart and life.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

I disagree. Where did I mention anything in that quote about outside appearances? reread that again.. I am talking only about inner beauty, and I believe that in the context of the entire world, few people truly have it.. whether woman or man, there are people in church on sundays who look nice, who.. if you asked them about themselves will tell you they are nice.. but is it really so, Jesus said that you will know them by their fruits. I don't think its a sad outlook, its accurate I think, and I have many Godly brothers and sisters who I know personally that I can look up to, but overall few people truly have inner beauty, they're just stuck on trying to look like they have it.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
it all depends on what we choose to see [and it is a choice, this is what God's been teaching me lately]. For example when i was in college, I had the biggest heart-warming encounter with the greatest people I have ever met, they were sweethearts and I will never forget them. However the facilty members stole my tuition money and kicked me out for unjust reasons, they used me in the worst way and it was the biggest act of betrayl I've ever encountered, when I was at college it was both the best and worst time of my life. For the longest time I've been looking at the negitive but I'm finding alot of freedom now that I see that so many people genuinly loved me there and touched my heart and life.
You are right about that. We do have to recognize it. You are young still and have many more experiences to live. I found that the older I have gotten the more important inner beauty is and I have learned though my years what to look for and how to judge it.

I have no doubt that you will learn this skill and use it in a loving manner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

SonicBOOM

I disagree. Where did I mention anything in that quote about outside appearances? reread that again.. I am talking only about inner beauty, and I believe that in the context of the entire world, few people truly have it.. whether woman or man, there are people in church on sundays who look nice, who.. if you asked them about themselves will tell you they are nice.. but is it really so, Jesus said that you will know them by their fruits. I don't think its a sad outlook, its accurate I think, and I have many Godly brothers and sisters who I know personally that I can look up to, but overall few people truly have inner beauty, they're just stuck on trying to look like they have it.

I agree with you actully, I try to make a habit to look at the postives because I know it's damaging to be negitive. But I think in the picture of reality, you are right.

We forget this was one of the biggest laments in the OT peotic books. The lament usaully went something like this "where oh Lord are the rightious?" or "there is not a man on earth who does what is right". I beleive it's healthy to admit these feelings to yourself, but I think the danger comes when we become consumed by them :)

Merry Christmas btw :)

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you actully, I try to make a habit to look at the postives because I know it's damaging to be negitive. But I think in the picture of reality, you are right.

We forget this was one of the biggest laments in the OT peotic books. The lament usaully went something like this "where oh Lord are the rightious?" or "there is not a man on earth who does what is right". I beleive it's healthy to admit these feelings to yourself, but I think the danger comes when we become consumed by them :)

Merry Christmas btw :)

Merry Christmas, thanks. You get it, thats what I was basically trying to say, some people just want to hear posts about accepting everyone, I don't follow that but as I study and examine Scripture, I see the reality of what the Lord is explaining about the human heart. You study Scripture, that is great, I love the Old testament, and the New, all of it as a whole.

Upvote 0
S

SonicBOOM

You study Scripture, that is great, I love the Old testament, and the New, all of it as a whole.

yeah, I like the OT better actully and it blows my mind how people will forsake it. the NT is cool but it focases entirely upon Christ and the church and how to act Christ-like and it's about 90% instruction, instruction I find helpful but not nearly as helpful as what the OT offers. In the books of Moses and the historical books, you got a picture of REAL human beings who are complete muck-ups all around, yet they are all called Children of God, not by anything they do, but because of God's choice to call them that. In the poetic books and the profits you got writings that are full of passion and emotion. You got rage, joy, anger, happiness, vanity, fear, desperation, and all sorts of other emotions. It makes me think it's "ok" to feel those things. And it's so insightful and helpful because often i will read a heart cry of a profit, and than read God's answer, and it will speak wonders to me.

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0