A response to a letter of a prisoner asking about his fears of not being mentally healthy

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
image.png.75b8001938f8c89e211adfec30bb639a.png

A response to a letter from a prisoner asking about
his fears of not being mentally healthy

Below is a letter I received from one of the prisoners I write to.
He asked some questions about his mental health.
My response is based on my own experience of dealing
with the complexity of our inner lives.

2/23/23
Hello Dale,

Good to hear from you. Did you get the Bible I sent you? Let me know if you did.

You asked some good questions about mental/spiritual health. The human brain, our self-awareness, and how we interpret reality is unique to each one of us. I guess that is one reason why communication can be difficult, and how important it is to listen before we respond.

If you get along with those you live with and can communicate in ways that for the most part, people understand you, you are most likely in good shape mentally. However, all of us when we become overwhelmed with emotions, fears, and anxiety, can for a while enter into areas that are mentally unhealthy and can lead us into trouble if we do not understand that at times like these, we need to be careful how we respond. When in pain, we can become overly self-centered, but it passes. There are some for whom this is a permanent state, and it is those who have what we call mental illness.

Those with mental illness can still do well if they understand their condition and work with someone who can get them proper medical care when needed, as well as medicines that can help as well.

About voices. As long as you do not feel controlled by them, and they are not overly negative, I would not worry about them. Again, our minds are complex and we need to not get overly excited when voices are heard, or we get some sort of powerful inspiration to do something. Just keep calm, pray, and live your life with others in a way that will lead to community involvement.

The mind is a mystery, and consciousness is considered the ‘hard question of science’. There are many theories about why and how we are conscious beings, but in reality we don’t know.

In the midst of that inner chaos, the Holy Spirit is at work. In prayer, we can step back and observe, prayer allows us not only to be open to God’s grace, but also gives us a chance to look at what our thoughts and other inner experiences are telling us.

When we pray, we open up our hearts to the love of God, and the operations of the Holy Spirit. Do not forget that in prayer we slowly grow in inner freedom and over time are freed from many compulsions that keep us from being truly awake and present to the moment. It gets us out of the stimulus/reaction cycle.

The Holy Spirit works in our everyday lives. It is essential to read the Scriptures every day, slowly in a prayerful manner. I believe that in the Epistles, the 1st Letter of John is one of the most calming texts to read, for it speaks on the love of God as shown to us in Jesus in a very beautiful manner.

You are doing well, hold on to Jesus, and in times of confusion see Him walking on the waters towards you. You are safe in his loving hands, never doubt that my friend.

No matter how you feel, what emotions you are experiencing, or how anxious you are, remember that Jesus is always “Yes”. Our relationship with God, with Jesus, with the Father, and with the Holy Spirit is not predicated on our present state, no matter what it is.

In times of deep inner suffering, saying the Rosary very slowly while focusing on the words can be very helpful.

Seek peace always, and follow after it. Pray, hope, love, and struggle as we all must. For it is in the struggles that we grow in freedom.

I pray for you every day my dear friend.

In the love and peace of Christ Jesus

Br. Mark Dohle

Last edited:

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He asked some questions about his mental health.
When we have the mind of Christ, we have a sound mind. As Christians, we strive to have the mind of Christ, we seek to align our thoughts and actions with God's will and to live in a way that reflects Christ's character. This involves renewing our minds through the study of Scripture and prayer so that we can discern God's will and make wise choices.

Upvote 0