Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't expect people to Bible scholars.

I would argue that the vast majority of Christians do not have a "good understanding of hermeneutics", but instead just go with cultural Christianity.

These people are about performative "Christ-likeness" which looks a lot like isomorphism within their little fishbowl ecosystem.

Moreover, there are a lot of "Bible-based" Christians that are prepared to stop short of violence in the name of "love" and "compassion." I hate to break it to you, the reason I'm so vocal and blunt is because evangelical Christians are some of the most intolerant and frustrating people to be around.

Hi Indent,
Well, I guess you broke it me, Indent! :ahah: (I'm not laughing at you; I'm laughing with you!)

Yes, I know--a good portion of modern evangelicalism (i.e. the portion which makes up the Hyper-Fundamentalistic sector of that continuum) is something that, at times, irks me as well. I suppose a good number of Christians in North America do go with cultural Christianity and only attenuate a Christian faith in an isomorphic way, but to some extent, I think this can be said of a lot of people in a number of countries, not just the U.S. and Canada. It's just that in those other countries, like those in, say, Central or South America, Russia, and some places in Europe, the choices are dictated by the political and traditional cultural currents.

Additionally, the U.S. has historically had another problem; an unfortunate, but time-honored social attachment to "anti-intellectualism," an assessment that is, I think, laid out well in Os Guinness' book, Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do About It (1994). Even though this book is twenty-two years old, it is still as relevant as ever ... what with the evidence of their "fishbowl ecosystem" and all that, which you succinctly pointed out. ;)

I have to say, I appreciate your intelligence (and education, obviously), and your candor, but ... we do need to be careful too--unless you're just feeling all "prophetic" about it, and in which case, Godspeed! :cool:

So, stepping to the side and going back to the topic of this OP you've created, what adjectives would you say we could use to describe the nature of the Bible in place of "inerrant"?

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh...my brother, there are some out there who do. Fortunately, they are typically few in number, and outliers from the mainstream.

There are some, for instance, who think Death is a "real person" and will be thrown into the "real" Lake of Fire ... o_O

2PhiloVoid

Yes, there always seem to be exceptions to every rule.

Upvote 0