Inauguration of Barack Obama - How do you feel?

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
meh, I didn't watch it. The main thing our mainstream media was covering was 'What will the new first lady be wearing???' :doh::doh::doh:

I listened on the radio. It was entertaining to hear them try to describe the color of M. Obama's dress.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I feel like moving to Canada about now. ;)

LOL, you wouldn't if you knew what's going on in our political system currently! :eek:

DISCUSTED that our nation is still so racist that the primary thing the press seems to notice is the color of the man's skin. How Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King must be rolling over in his grave, so very sad that his dream is still so distant, so unrealized.

That is exactly what I thought too, especially with all the references to MLK today. I think he'd be horrified with how this whole election played out.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
meh, I didn't watch it. The main thing our mainstream media was covering was 'What will the new first lady be wearing???' :doh::doh::doh:

Yeah, pretty ridiculous.

If I ever had the opportunity to be the First Lady (and I know I won't), I'd be wearing second hand thrift store dresses everywhere, just to hear the media saying "who is she wearing?"

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2006
✟10,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, pretty ridiculous.

If I ever had the opportunity to be the First Lady (and I know I won't), I'd be wearing second hand thrift store dresses everywhere, just to hear the media saying "who is she wearing?"

lol! Yeah, it was very rediculous. They were trying to make an 'aussie connection' by saying she might wear some australian made/designed eyeshadow :doh::sick:

And talking about the millions of dollars being spent on the celebrations... I thought there was an economy crisis? What's wrong with a good old barbeque on the lawn?? ^_^

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
lol! Yeah, it was very rediculous. They were trying to make an 'aussie connection' by saying she might wear some australian made/designed eyeshadow :doh::sick:

And talking about the millions of dollars being spent on the celebrations... I thought there was an economy crisis? What's wrong with a good old barbeque on the lawn?? ^_^

Shoot, do it potluck style. Make everyone else bring the food!

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL, you wouldn't if you knew what's going on in our political system currently! :eek:

Parliamentary democracies create great drama!

Now, if you could do something about those haircuts, eh?

That is exactly what I thought too, especially with all the references to MLK today. I think he'd be horrified with how this whole election played out.

Canadian Alliance revisionist history of the United States cracks me up.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I listened on the radio. It was entertaining to hear them try to describe the color of M. Obama's dress.

Let's face it; she hadn't exhibited much fashion sense before today. Her dress was very nice, but I question the gloves. Were they really green? If so, who let that happen?????!!!!!! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CADude12

There is a God. You are not him. I'm not either.
Sep 28, 2008
Boston
✟15,490.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
All of the racial stuff doesn't make sense to me, but I guess, for the older generation, it means a lot.

When Daniel Webster saw the hoopla over the inauguration of Andrew Jackson, he said with surprise, "The people seem to believe that the nation has been saved from some great calamity." He didn't understand. And today, I don't either.

Nevertheless, some people are excited. He was obviously nervous taking the oath, don't you think?

Now, back to my life, which depends very little on who sits in the Oval Office.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
All of the racial stuff doesn't make sense to me, but I guess, for the older generation, it means a lot.

When Daniel Webster saw the hoopla over the inauguration of Andrew Jackson, he said with surprise, "The people seem to believe that the nation has been saved from some great calamity." He didn't understand. And today, I don't either.

Nevertheless, some people are excited. He was obviously nervous taking the oath, don't you think?

Now, back to my life, which depends very little on who sits in the Oval Office.

My thoughts exactly.

I still have a car payment, I still have bills, I still have a mortgage....err...well, okay no mortgage (gotta love parsonages!) and those aren't going to go away just because Obama's in office.

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cautiously optimistic.

I think it's amazing that we have a President with black background. I know a woman whose father was the first black fire chief in her area, and he was not allowed to go into the white neighborhood to put out fires. Within her lifetime, our culture has changed enough that a mixed-race President (or a female President) is an option to the majority of voters in the country. I may be tired of the harping on his race, but it IS a big deal -- just as the first woman President, or the first non-Christian President will be a big deal.

Actually, from what I've heard from Obama, he's a universalist who "follows" Christian tradition. A Christian does not bieleve that all roads lead to God, Christ is the ONLY way. So, I guess we've killed 2 birds with 1 stone, the first black President AND the first non-Christian president, all in one.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A simple question- today (Jan 20th 2009) - Inauguration of Barack Obama

How do you folk here feel about this historic event?

I know your opinions likely will differ from mine, that is OK. I am not here to cause trouble, but seriously only wish to know how you feel on this day!

You know, I think it's weird that we have different forums that people interpret to have a political meaning (conservative, liberal, moderate). When placed before the word Christian, I consider those designations to do with faith, not politics. I interpret it to mean how closely a person adheres to or veers from orthodoxy. Overall, it's pretty meaningless, as we are either picking up our crosses and following Christ, or we're not.

Anyway, I felt no differently today than I have for any other presidential inauguration (with the exception of the second time Bush went in- I didn't even bother watching that day). I watched it and I thought his speech was good. However, I really think this country won't get very far if we keep dividing ourselves by making references to a person's race. When we all start simply calling ourselves Americans without any other racial qualifiers, then we'll finally be getting somewhere.

I have a very detached interest in these sorts of things. My politics isn't Republican or Democrat- my views can sometimes be quite at odds with most people who consider themselves conservative or liberal politically- and I'll keep voting the way my conscience dictates and writing my representatives on issues when I think they should be doing something- just as I've always done. When it comes to politics, I don't get swayed by the love hate machine of propaganda because I'm an apathetic cynic who can only be pleasantly surprised when things go well. So, I'm neither super happy about Obama and I'm not super upset about him either- I'm ambivalent and will reserve true judgment until the true tests come. (However, I do admit to being annoyed and a teensy bit alarmed by people who hold Obama to some kind of weird god like status- these folks just went all invasion of the body snatchers during the election- and I thought the world had done away with such blind hero worship of mere mortals.)

I was annoyed by Rick Warren's prayer and the Benediction. The latter prayer was better until the race poem. It didn't sit well with me though I didn't think he meant anything negative by it.

I also kept thinking how I would feel as an elected official if I were expected to attend the invitation only multi-faith prayer thing tomorrow morning. As a matter of conscience I probably couldn't go without feeling as if I were compromising my own faith in some way. I also don't believe in taking oaths either even if one swears on a bible. This all leads me to believe that for such reasons I would never even consider going into politics and I feel for the those with strong convictions who are. However, none of this has anything to do with Obama or today- just me playing little what if scenarios with myself.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Actually, from what I've heard from Obama, he's a universalist who "follows" Christian tradition. A Christian does not bieleve that all roads lead to God, Christ is the ONLY way. So, I guess we've killed 2 birds with 1 stone, the first black President AND the first non-Christian president, all in one.

Mmmm, do you guys really think that most of your past presidents have been Christians? What about Clinton? Or Nixon? I'm not even really sure about either of the Bush's for that matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mmmm, do you guys really think that most of your past presidents have been Christians? What about Clinton? Or Nixon? I'm not even really sure about either of the Bush's for that matter.

I'm actually a fellow Canadian :) and you make great points, perhaps the title of the first non-Christian president happened long ago.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I saw an excerpt on OReilly's show 2 days ago?
It was Lemont from Sanford & Son who does alot of charity work.

He's angry that this country wastes so much $$ on this affair.
I so agree. & it could be every 4 years if the same one isn't
reelected (or do they do it again even if it's still the same one?).

Anyways, it's a huge waste.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

170 Million...:confused:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1

I guess tax payers aren't picking up the whole tab though...

This inauguration cost more then Clinton and Bush put together I think...

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
170 Million...:confused:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1

I guess tax payers aren't picking up the whole tab though...

This inauguration cost more then Clinton and Bush put together I think...
I couldn't help but think people are looking for a "saviour" in this
man...
I honestly doubt that any political leader can fix this problem
since it's escalated so drastically. We've kicked the can about
as far as it could be kicked down the road without major upheaval,
but I think it might be time to reap what's been done
and not been done.

Time will tell, but my prayer for this country is that we turn
back to God & repent.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm actually a fellow Canadian :) and you make great points, perhaps the title of the first non-Christian president happened long ago.
Oops, sorry abooot that, fellow Canuck. I didn't even look at your country icon when I posted. My bad. :sorry:

Upvote 0