SLP

May 29, 2002
✟21,532.00
Faith
Atheist
First impressions are simply the instinct first presented to a potential mate, that help define the relationship in a way that develops a stronger union between the two.
Imagine my first impression of a fellow that actually asked if you can interrupt evolution (and then gravity).

• Winner
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

SLP

May 29, 2002
✟21,532.00
Faith
Atheist
I was dazzled by evolution when I was first introduced to it in 8th grade biology (first impression). However as I grew older I became less impressed. It's like meeting a beautiful girl for the first time who is primped and made up to impress, only to see her later without the revealing apparel and makeup.
But you're impressed with the bible tales? Interesting.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Let's focus on just this: I said "Without the forbidden fruit, no one would ever have developed the theory of Evolution?"
The forbidden fruit which gave knowledge of good and evil? Ok, let's look closely at that. ToE is supported by evidence, matches reality and makes useful predictions. Most people would consider that to be "good". Creationism has no evidential support, denies reality and makes no useful predictions. Now, I won't call that "evil" but it certainly isn't "good". So perhaps you should be looking a lot closer at your side of the debate to understand where it places you in the whole good/not good scheme of things. After all, if you want to rely on biblical stories for your support you need to accept that they can cut both ways.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,816.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If Evolution doesn't mate, it can't perpetuate the species?
If organically produced descant singers don't elide participles, they can't achieve plastic deformation of primate tibia?

Change over generations is supposed to make an impression??
Yes. That's why we call it change.

Creation has a whole book on the subject and you dismiss it???
Evolution has many hundreds of monographs, thousands of text books, tens of thousands of researchers, hundreds of thousands of research projects and millions of research articles on the topic. Dismiss it at your peril.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I think a more reasonable reading is that Jacob encouraged the spotted and striped traits... which is completely reasonable example of evolution as a random trait became an advantage withing the very specific environment of being looked after by Jacob.

I think this is basically the foundation I am asking for. You grant that this is a "subjective Evolution"?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Evolution would be demonstrably true if life spontaneously came from non life; it would would be true if God specifically crafted the first life and let it go; it would even be true if God created the modern animals 6000 years ago.\

[...]

This is I think what is muddling the whole theory of Evolution, for me: you just don't know where, in what way, under what pressure, Evolution is happening?

What you have stipulated here, changes the story completely, depending on what God is or is not doing.

I'm happy to assess aspects of creation... but it has to make internal sense.

I think what is happening here, is that we are beginning to learn to keep each other accountable.

Actually I would prefer it, if you showed me how you keep Evolutionists accountable - without involving Creationists? Creationists keep each other honest, by referring to the Bible, specifically the words of Jesus, for which no greater Wisdom can be aired.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I think there is something to this actually:

When we say we believe in God with our lives, as believers, the Holy Spirit works through us to give us a talent

...that talent is an expression of our devotion to God and is a sign to others that we are walking the path of faith.

When you believe in Evolution, what trait is there: that is a sign to other Evolutionists, that you are walking the path of Evolution?

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is I think what is muddling the whole theory of Evolution, for me: you just don't know where, in what way, under what pressure, Evolution is happening?

What you have stipulated here, changes the story completely, depending on what God is or is not doing.

I think what is happening here, is that we are beginning to learn to keep each other accountable.

Actually I would prefer it, if you showed me how you keep Evolutionists accountable - without involving Creationists? Creationists keep each other honest, by referring to the Bible, specifically the words of Jesus, for which no greater Wisdom can be aired.
The Theory of Evolution doesn't mention god and it's only your opinion that the bible holds some truths.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
What's that?

The notion that being partially right, most of the time, is moral.

There is no need to follow an exact set of rules or answer in a particular way - what is important is that you are adding to your moral faith, from Day to Day.

If you need help with that, you can pray to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The notion that being partially right, most of the time, is moral.

There is no need to follow an exact set of rules or answer in a particular way - what is important is that you are adding to your moral faith, from Day to Day.

If you need help with that, you can pray to the Holy Spirit.
Or Quetzalcoatl.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
The Theory of Evolution doesn't mention god and it's only your opinion that the bible holds some truths.

The theory of Evolution does deal with God (search "suffering" on this page) .

As for the Bible containing truths, my opinion is based on my experience that they have never been anything other, than true.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The theory of Evolution does deal with God (search "suffering" on this page) .

As for the Bible containing truths, my opinion is based on my experience that they have never been anything other, than true.
I'm sorry I said The theory of Evolution, I thought you had heard of it?
Who is quoting your god in the GoE?

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you feel it is impossible to be moral, that is your business.

I have simply pointed out, that you are without excuse.
My morality vastly exceeds that purported in the bible, I need no excuses since I'm not afraid of death, I'm not a christian IOW.

Upvote 0