Nov 15, 2006
Gran Canaria, Spain
✟9,212.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you are going down the road that leads to leaving the Faith. :eek:

Matthew 5:6 `Happy those hungering and thirsting/diywnteV <1372> the righteousness, that they shall be satisfied.

Reve 21:6 And He said to me:" it-has-become/gegonen <1096> (5754). I Am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. I, to the one thirsting/diywnti <1372>, shall be giving out of the spring of the water of the life gratuitously".

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
No, but I'd like to be a saint and stop being an hypocrite.

Upvote 0

ticker

...at your service!
Jun 10, 2007
The Kingdom...kinda...
✟20,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Gorrion...the questions you're asking are good ones...and I actually wish more Christians would be brave enough to ask themselves these kinds of questions.

In my experience I've found that a lot of Christians like to either...

a)...accept some neatly packaged little Sunday school answer regarding Jesus that comes from pop culture Chrsitianity, and then just cling on to it because of fears of exploring any other ideas that could shake their faith (....something that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but worrisome).

or

b)...have all their questions answered for them by other people (like their priest, or their church fathers, or their bishop), and then just cling to these beliefs and to their church either because they feel a sense of identity, familiarity, or belonging...or because they simply can't bring themselves to consider that maybe what they've spent a big chunk of their lives believing might very well be a lie.

Truth is...you're only gonna get the truth from Him. Putting our trust in Him (which, granted, is easier said than done...especially for a seeker) is what leads us to God's truth...'cause only He can reveal it to us.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hey Gorrion...the questions you're asking are good ones...and I actually wish more Christians would be brave enough to ask themselves these kinds of questions.

I'm my experience I've found that a lot of Christians like to either...

a)...accept some neatly packaged little Sunday school answer regarding Jesus that comes from pop culture Chrsitianity, and then just cling on to it because of fears of exploring any other ideas that could shake their faith (....something that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but worrisome).

or

b)...have all their questions answered for them by other people (like their priest, or their church fathers, or their bishop), and then cling to these beliefs and to their church either because they feel a sense of identity, familiarity, or belonging...or because they simply can't bring themselves to consider that maybe what they've spent their whole lives believing might unfortunately be a lie.

Truth is brother...you're only gonna get the truth from Him. Put your trust in Him and He'll lead you to the truth.

Cheers

:amen: (I need some work in that department still.. pray for guidance to the truth..)

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

or

b)...have all their questions answered for them by other people (like their priest, or their church fathers, or their bishop), and then just cling to these beliefs and to their church either because they feel a sense of identity, familiarity, or belonging...or because they simply can't bring themselves to consider that maybe what they've spent a big chunk of their lives believing might very well be a lie.

Truth is...you're only gonna get the truth from Him. Putting our trust in Him (which, granted, is easier said than done...especially for a seeker) is what leads us to God's truth...'cause only He can reveal it to us.

Cheers!

Do you believe in all things visible and invisible?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

disasm

Jun 19, 2007
Howard, PA
Visit site
✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

or

Cheers!
Yes, asking questions is great! That's how most of us converts found Orthodoxy!

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Nobody? Not even some pastor, or tele-evangelist? or your mom?

Maybe you don't remember it, but somebody told you, maybe a member of the Christian Church?
Is this some shot a protestants? But I laughed, do you assume I inherited my religion?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jude 1:3
¶Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Truth is absolute.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To tell me about idolatry.... *face palm*

Because you don't understand the difference between doulia and latria I get a "face palm"?

:swoon:

What is divine revelation?

It is the conjuration of the definitions of the words divine and revelation.

I don't "worship" the bible, I just hold it as an authority,

That doesn't make it the Word of God.

Who or What does the Bible say the Word of God is?

Does the Bible call itself that title?

the bible doesn't save me, Jesus does (Neither does religion, for that matter..)

Again, more straw.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, but I'd like to be a saint and stop being an hypocrite.
Even St. Peter had problems with that.
You gonna show him up?;)

Here's an interesting take on Scripture as "The Word of God", by a guy who is ranting about engangelical drift from that position:

John D. Morrison is Professor of Theological Studies at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Within historical and modern evangelical orthodox Christian contexts it is all but assumed that when reference is made to "the Word of God" it is Holy Scripture that is intended; and that in spite of evangelical Christocentricity and the fact of "the Word made flesh." Modern evangelicalism, across the traditions, has consistently maintained the propriety of the claim that Holy Scripture is the written or, more recently, "inscripturated" Word of God, whatever else may rightly and more directly be identified as the Word of God. Indeed, much of evangelical theological identity, and its Christocentricity, is grounded in the confessional linkage whereby Scripture is the written Word of God.
Yet this contention cannot be regarded as confined only to modern evangelicalism. Historians of Christian theology have repeatedly pointed out, often with scorn, that this textual identification or connection of Word or revelation of God with Holy Scripture is the almost universal position of the church fathers and pre-Christian Judaism.1 Historically, post-Nicene, medieval (East and West), Reformation, and post-Reformation Catholic and Protestant Christianity has held the same position - despite historical, ecclesiological, conceptual, and methodological shifts and developments. In fact, the often predominant position of church fathers and doctors, and on occasion the Reformers, was not simply that Scripture is or can be rightly identified as the written Word of God but that this very process meant essentially divine dictation of the books of Scripture. While such an extreme "docetic" view has been disavowed almost unanimously in modern evangelicalism, the central contention about the revelatory character of Scripture has
[p.166]​
continued to be basic. But it is this very point of identification that has in recent years been carefully and subtly denied by theologians who claim the label "evangelical."
In order to bring preliminary clarity to the claims, issues, questions, and criticisms, as well as constructive reformulation, several points regarding evangelical assessment of Scripture and contemporary developments ought to be made. By thus identifying Scripture as the written Word of God, the claim is then that God has revealed himself historically in acts, centrally and supremely in Jesus Christ. It also means that God has revealed himself personally to persons to redeem them; that God has revealed himself "content-fully," i.e., that God&#8217;s self-disclosure is not fully given in a bare Act of power (e.g., Exodus) nor in dramatic, but conceptually empty, "will-o&#8217;-the-wisp" personal encounters, but "content-fully" in ways effectually expressible in and as human language, even written language. The theological result is not merely a Scripture that points to the Word of God (Christ), like John the Baptist in the Grünewald altarpiece,2 nor a Scripture that "becomes" the Word and which the Word of God breaks through in order to meet us as "I to Thou,"3 nor a Scripture that "brings" or "conveys" the Word of God to us; nor even a Scripture "in which" the Word of God can be found somewhere. Instead, the evangelical position on revelation is an understanding of Holy Scripture as the inscripturated Word of God, whatever may be its other Spirit-effected roles in relation to the redemptive self-disclosure of God (cf. below). However we reckon Scripture&#8217;s unitary connectedness to, in, and under Christ the Word, by the Spirit, the historic evangelical position emphasizes the reality of the participation of Scripture within the economy of God&#8217;s gracious, condescending self-giving, to be known objectively and redemptively as he is in himself in the world. The point is that at some level Scripture-as-Scripture is (ontologically) Word of God. The evangelical position, like the historical position of the church, is not fearful of or repulsed by the participation of the divine in the human, the material, even in the linguistic (at the level of the text).
But within evangelicalism there is a subtle and nuanced move away from this identification of Word of God and Holy Scripture at any level, except perhaps in a formal "adoptionist" or "Arian" sense. Whether correct or incorrect, these recent attempts to cut the divine Word of God free from the written text of Scripture are conceptually and methodologically reflective of the re-entrenchment of dualistic thinking which, in theology, inevitably bifurcates the unity of God&#8217;s redemptive-kingdom purposes by cutting off the objective knowledge of God in the world. It is the purpose here to present, analyze, and critique three recent evangelical discussions of Holy Scripture in relation to revelation/Word of God, and to present a Christocentric revelational model wherein participative place is found for written human language in and as Word of God.
http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_scripture_morrison.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is NOT one "true church" on this planet today. Not one single denomination is doing things as God would will. They all err in one way or another.

A fundamental question to your deduction would arise from your church experience. Since you have not attended all the churches in the world you can say that not one church is correct but it is without basis, foundation or proof. With that part of your argument out of the way, that just leaves you.

Do you go to church?

I love my church. We love and worship and praise the Lord. We fellowship, love each other, build each other up and help whenever we can. Our pastor has a heart like Jesus, gentle and kind, but helping all of us to expand in every way we can in and through Christ.

Do you go to church?

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
sacerdote I love my church. We love and worship and praise the Lord. We fellowship said:
I have one of those pastors too..He found out I couldn't sit in the pews since my lower spine is all stress fractured so he put a recliner in the back of the church just for me..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.