In Atheists We Distrust

T

Theofane

I agree. I'm an atheist, but I'm not angry about it.

Although I do feel the same way about Christians who feel the need to push their God on everyone and don't take no for an answer.

Good! Then that's something we have in common. :) The traditional approach to religious evangelism is played-out. Exhausted. Overdone. Selling things door-to-door, whether it's the Word of God or a set of steak-knives, is just tacky. I don't believe the Word itself is tacky, but some of the aggressive sales techniques sure are!

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words."
~St. Francis of Asissi

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I like pie but I don't like cake.

Honey, if that's your for true-true age then that should be the only thing you're sure of at this point.

There is a cultural set point that mandates we have an opinion for everything under the sun...it can take years to disabuse oneself of this notion.

If, at 14, you've already self identified as libertarian and atheist, you're either trying too hard to grow-up or you're a 42yo playing us.

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Honey, if that's your for true-true age then that should be the only thing you're sure of at this point.

There is a cultural set point that mandates we have an opinion for everything under the sun...it can take years to disabuse oneself of this notion.

If, at 14, you've already self identified as libertarian and atheist, you're either trying too hard to grow-up or you're a 42yo playing us.

I like pie over cake depending on the pie and cake choices.

Key Lime always wins over red velvet.

But french silk and fudge cake would only be determined by the kind of flour used in the cake.

AP flour and the pie wins. Cake flour without egg white powder in the mix a winner. But if the icing is not butter cream I would have to go back to the pie.

But I will take pie 8 our of 10 times over cake.

And as for cake or death? I want cake then death thank you.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not bigotry. I don't change my opinion of people if I find out they're atheists, I am just wary of anyone who feels the need to make it clear they are one ASAP

Right, I myself am generally wary of people on campus who tout there Christianity, either there or on Facebook.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm wary of anyone who feels the need to tell me their religion unless it comes up in conversation. Just a tip, if any one of those people read this: When you do that at work (get all religious out of nowhere), after you leave the room everyone will look wide-eyed at each other and one person will say "Okaaaaay..."

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

Right, I myself am generally wary of people on campus who tout there Christianity, either there or on Facebook.

You're right to be wary of anyone who talks about their Christian beliefs too much. Watch these people closely to see if their actions match up with their speech. Very important!

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bringeth forth good fruit, but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire. Therefore, by their fruits ye shall know them."
~Matt. 16-20

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I suppose it's fair. I'm less inclined to trust a Christian, based on experience.

For me it is a bit more subtle and limited. It depends on how much they advertise they are Christian.

It is the ones who advertise the fact that I do not trust. A half exception to that for those 'spreading the gospel', in that case I'll look deeper.

But the ones who are spreading the word that THEY are Christian and nothing more are not to be trusted.

EDIT: In the U.S and Western Europe. Totally different set of issues where Christians are actually persecuted or second class citizens.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh no, I misspelled a word on my tiny phone keyboard. You have surely discredited my entire post by pointing it out. I am sure that your post is simply a sign of your superior debating skills, and not some form of OCD or a pitiful need to make yourself feel superior without any need for actual self improvement. I shall now retire from the internets in shame.
How do you type on those things? Doesn't it take forever? I need reading glasses just for a regular computer screen.

Actually, my stupid autocorrect should have caught it. I guess the phone makers hate atheists or something.
It's a conspiracy.

Upvote 0
A

AtheistVet

Can u name more than a few instances (not family related) in your own life that when a Christian found out that u were an atheist, that they kept badgering, or are u just basing that off of TV and what u "think" Christians do?

My former commander springs to mind for myself, as well as one half of my family but that doesn't count for some reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
That's because we are the shock troops who make way for the Islam dominated secular sharia state, just like Speaker Gingrich said.

...wow. And here I was thinking moon colonies was the silliest thing he ever said :p

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Tip of the iceberg.

He's an ideas man but they have a 9:1 nutty to good ratio.

I actually don't think he's as nutty as he's portrayed himself this election. I just think he's trying really hard to get the conservative/Republican vote, so he says things that he thinks they want to hear.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So would atheists like it better if theists called their beliefs not religion but Divine Theory?

Let's say they have Divine Theory and atheists can keep their Quantum Mechanics until they sort that all out as well?
I think the sciency atheists might object to "Theory" as they insist that a theory, in science, is well supported by actual, testable evidence which excludes faith.

Upvote 0
A

AtheistVet

Christians need to do something to put an END to atheism in America once and for all. Christians have been FAR too easy on the atheists.

Like how? What's your final solution?

Because without removing freedom of speech, association, and thought, you will never put an end to atheism. It will only continue to grow.

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians need to do something to put an END to atheism in America once and for all. Christians have been FAR too easy on the atheists.

There's only two ways you can put an end to atheists in America "once and for all", and you have to do them BOTH for it to work:

1) Completely shred every freedom of the people from the VERY FIRST AMENDMENT from the Constitution.

2) Put all atheists into concentration camps and exterminate them all.

Are you really willing to go that far?

Upvote 0