In 2008, Trump tried to bribe Senator Specter to Drop New England Patriots 'Spygate' Investigation

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Donald Trump allegedly attempted to stop a congressional probe of the Spygate case involving the New England Patriots by offering a bribe to then-Sen. Arlen Specter, the late senator’s son claimed Wednesday.

An ESPN report detailed how Trump, nearly a decade before he became president, allegedly acted on behalf of Patriots owner Robert Kraft when he met with Specter in 2008 to offer him “a lot of money in Palm Beach” if the then-Republican senator from Pennsylvania dropped his investigation into the team. Shanin Specter, the senator’s son, said to ESPN that Trump intervened in the probe, while Charles Robbins, the senator’s longtime communications aide, told The Washington Post that he surmised Trump to be the person who offered Arlen Specter the bribe.

Trump spokesman Jason Miller denied the allegations in an email to The Post on Wednesday.

“This is completely false,” Miller said in a statement. “We have no idea what you’re talking about.”

The Patriots were found by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to have violated league rules when they videotaped the defensive coaches for the New York Jets from an unauthorized location in 2007. The franchise was stripped of its first-round draft pick and fined $250,000 by the league. Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, the largest amount ever handed down to an NFL coach.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Donald Trump allegedly attempted to stop a congressional probe of the Spygate case involving the New England Patriots by offering a bribe to then-Sen. Arlen Specter, the late senator’s son claimed Wednesday.

An ESPN report detailed how Trump, nearly a decade before he became president, allegedly acted on behalf of Patriots owner Robert Kraft when he met with Specter in 2008 to offer him “a lot of money in Palm Beach” if the then-Republican senator from Pennsylvania dropped his investigation into the team. Shanin Specter, the senator’s son, said to ESPN that Trump intervened in the probe, while Charles Robbins, the senator’s longtime communications aide, told The Washington Post that he surmised Trump to be the person who offered Arlen Specter the bribe.

Trump spokesman Jason Miller denied the allegations in an email to The Post on Wednesday.

“This is completely false,” Miller said in a statement. “We have no idea what you’re talking about.”

The Patriots were found by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to have violated league rules when they videotaped the defensive coaches for the New York Jets from an unauthorized location in 2007. The franchise was stripped of its first-round draft pick and fined $250,000 by the league. Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, the largest amount ever handed down to an NFL coach.

No he didn't.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, now I'm convinced. Good argument. (And I'm open to either position as I am only vaguely aware of this "scandal" as I don't follow the AFC.)

It's just as convincing as that story is.

Upvote 0

Crwth

He must increase but I must decrease
Feb 26, 2014
✟115,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry, not buying it.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Just to set the stage a bit more for those who can't read the whole article, the Senator describes the incident (without names, but referencing a friend with a club in Palm Beach) in his 2012 memoir. His co-author says Specter didn't name him, but he made the inference that it was Trump. Specter's son says Specter angrily told him it was Trump a few days after the event happened.

Upvote 0

Crwth

He must increase but I must decrease
Feb 26, 2014
✟115,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just to set the stage a bit more for those who can't read the whole article, the Senator describes the incident (without names, but referencing a friend with a club in Palm Beach) in his 2012 memoir. His co-author says Specter didn't name him, but he made the inference that it was Trump. Specter's son says Specter angrily told him it was Trump a few days after the event happened.
Ok, just asking here - but, how is this NOT gossip? :scratch:

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ok, just asking here - but, how is this NOT gossip? :scratch:

I don't think the alleged bribery of a senator is quite 'gossip'.
Senator Specter's son says his father told him that Trump tried to bribe him. If you like, that is hearsay.
This is not a trial. But it is news.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If that was bribery, name a President or member of Congress who never offered another one his support on pending legislation, his vote on some bill, his backing for some nominee to federal office, or etc. in return for some reciprocal action on the part of the other office-holder. Indeed, most of the time this very ordinary process is lauded by the media and the public as "reaching across the aisle" or "bipartisanship."

• Agree
Reactions: Crwth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If that was bribery, name a President or member of Congress who never offered another one his support on pending legislation, his vote on some bill, his backing for some nominee to federal office, or etc. in return for some reciprocal action on the part of the other office-holder. Indeed, most of the time this very ordinary process is lauded by the media and the public as "reaching across the aisle" or "bipartisanship."

Personal enrichment. That's the difference between a bribe and political horsetrading. "you support my bill and I'll support you bill" is horsetrading. "How much cash will it take to get that bill I don't like blocked?" is bribery.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personal enrichment. That's the difference between a bribe and political horsetrading. "you support my bill and I'll support you bill" is horsetrading. "How much cash will it take to get that bill I don't like blocked?" is bribery.

Not only is there no evidence of bribery but the whole thing is hearsay anyway, and comes from people not known to be impartial, and at a time when plans are being hatched to keep Trump from being allowed to seek the nomination for President in 2024.

The very first words of the Original Post say it all--"Donald Trump allegedly...."

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not only is there no evidence of bribery but the whole thing is hearsay anyway, and comes from people not known to be impartial, and at a time when plans are being hatched to keep Trump from being allowed to seek the nomination for President in 2024.

The very first words of the Original Post say it all--"Donald Trump allegedly...."

I didn't say it was proven, or even comment on the allegation in that post. You'd seemingly dismissed some sort of political horsetrading, and I was pointing out the difference between such and a bribe. The actions in the OP sound exactly like a bribe. Now can they be proved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
and comes from people not known to be impartial

The late Republican Senator Arlen Specter, who's been dead for 8 years? His lawyer son? What do you know about their impartiality?

Upvote 0

LockeeDeck

Mar 14, 2021
Los Angeles
✟31,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then it's not worth all of us doing a lot of speculating about and discussing the matter, is it?

Trump is still a prominent figure in the GOP and likely to run in 2024 if he isn't charged with a federal offense by then. Would you not like to know of past deeds, even if they are only alleged?

In isolation you would be right to doubt the validity of this story but it doesn't contradict anything we know about Trump. He has acted as a ineffective mob boss in a lot interactions people have told.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Trump is still a prominent figure in the GOP and likely to run in 2024 if he isn't charged with a federal offense by then. Would you not like to know of past deeds, even if they are only alleged?

Know of alleged past events? Can you imagine what that would look like if we were to apply that rule to other prominent politicians, such as the man who is president NOW? Talk about "offenses?!" :doh:

• Agree
Reactions: Crwth
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Meh - just more "piling on" in a vain attempt to bury Trump. Pure partisanship gossip, nothing more.
I wonder what party the late Sen Spector's son belongs to?

A lot of traditional conservatives cannot stand Trump.

Upvote 0