Kentucky
✟16,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, it was Jesus and the two witnesses that met with Abraham and Sarah. They ate together and the two witnesses went on towards the cities that would be destroyed while Jesus remained with Abraham.

"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device."

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
""an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship."

So when Moshe (Moses) was gone longer then they wanted they made a golden calf to remember to gaze at now and then. NO lol to WORSHIP.

Now I can't speak for anyone but my self. Some picture of Jesus on a wall or around my neck.. a yeah lol its NOT Him.. nor do I even have a thought to talk to it.. worship it. If something like this bothers anyone they THEY should not have one. And one would think after 57 years in all my time with HIM praise GOD not ONCE has it ever bothered Him. MAN says..allot of things. And I have asked Him.. would not bother me at all to get rid of them.

So.. I as the word says.. am not here to please man/woman but my Father. Hes very happy with me so.. praise GOD. I work out my own salvation.

Upvote 0

Stone Axe

Jul 6, 2018
Kentucky
✟16,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
""an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship."

So when Moshe (Moses) was gone longer then they wanted they made a golden calf to remember to gaze at now and then. NO lol to WORSHIP.

Now I can't speak for anyone but my self. Some picture of Jesus on a wall or around my neck.. a yeah lol its NOT Him.. nor do I even have a thought to talk to it.. worship it. If something like this bothers anyone they THEY should not have one. And one would think after 57 years in all my time with HIM praise GOD not ONCE has it ever bothered Him. MAN says..allot of things. And I have asked Him.. would not bother me at all to get rid of them.

So.. I as the word says.. am not here to please man/woman but my Father. Hes very happy with me so.. praise GOD. I work out my own salvation.

I agree with you ultimately. But are the pictures of Jesus really pictures of Jesus or some other model? Then we go and say "I love Jesus, look at this beautiful picture of Him'' and in the heart, venerated the art..is it true or is it a lie? If its true so be it but if it's a lie we done up and mingled it with the Lord.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Icons of the Hospitality of Abraham, most famously perhaps is the one by Andrei Rublev, are pretty commonly understood as symbolic for the Trinity. The story is a fascinating one because here it declares that YHWH appeared to Abraham, then describes three visitors--it's not hard to see why in Christianity we have come to see the story in a Trinitarian way. The image is quite beautiful showing the three guests seated around a table in communion, a rather brilliant way to illustrate the unity and relationship of the Trinity.

-CryptoLutheran
there's also the open seat at the table, representing the invitation to commune.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We therefore behold the Father through the Son, and so images of Jesus are, we could argue, themselves ways we iconify the Father. Indeed, Jesus is the only way we see His Father.

so back to the image you condemn, it is the image of the Father through the image of Jesus, it is the image of the Holy Spirit through the image of Christ and the image as Christ as Christ himself differentiated by the symbols they bear. Is this in line with scripture? why would you condemn this representation over the myriad of old man images out there? It would seem this image tries to stay away from stereotypes and extra-biblical images depictions of God the Father almost to awkward levels.

Also to me implicit in the image of the arm or hand of God is the body and face of God. It may be a widely accept symbol but I don't think it is very responsible if the goal is not to depict the Father in image but rather in symbol. I know it is traditionally endorsed so there is no changing it but I would think there are better ways to do this than a hand coming out of a cloud which just reinforces all kinds of stereotypes.

Of course the Father can never be truly be captured in image. Christ is the image of the invisible God but I think this is more to do with the incarnation than anything else. Scripturally we made in the image of God too but we understand this more abstractly than our physical characteristics. Violated the 2nd commandment has a lot of intent in it and a statue or painting is not inherently the problem. The post-exodus Israelites were somewhat predisposed to idolatry and the 2nd commandment was made under this context. Although I can't speak to the early church but today modern western civilization is pretty abstract and our spiritual battles tend not to be about wooden or stone idols any more so I can't see an image or carving of God the Father really in violation of the 2nd commandment because it's not relevant to us anymore. We look at it as art and really nothing more... however there are religious trappings that still capture this predisposition and value power in "things" which can be harmful when projected to images of saints or of God. We still need to be careful but I certainly is less of an issue and this is only for western thought... there still are other cultures where these values to abstain from these images would still be wise.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are forbidden to make IDOLS, which means things we WORSHIP instead of God, or in addition to God. We are not forbidden to make likenesses - paintings, statues, etc. - to remind us of the one true God we worship. And, we are not forbidden to make likenesses of other people, to honor (not worship) those who have played major roles in the history of our faith and our Church, just as we do for those who played major roles in the history of our country.

Reactions: Loren T.
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
so back to the image you condemn, it is the image of the Father through the image of Jesus, it is the image of the Holy Spirit through the image of Christ and the image as Christ as Christ himself differentiated by the symbols they bear. Is this in line with scripture? why would you condemn this representation over the myriad of old man images out there? It would seem this image tries to stay away from stereotypes and extra-biblical images depictions of God the Father almost to awkward levels.

I could have just as easily used this image to indicate one that is problematic. It's not depicting the Father as looking like Jesus that I was saying was problematic, it's the intent to give form to the invisible Father itself. When we behold an image of Christ, we are seeing a representation of Christ, the Son, through whom we also behold the Father. That is a different matter. The Father in His Hypostasis cannot be depicted, instead we see the Father in the Hypostasis of the Son. It may sound like mere semantics, but it's a very important theological distinction to be made.

Also to me implicit in the image of the arm or hand of God is the body and face of God. It may be a widely accept symbol but I don't think it is very responsible if the goal is not to depict the Father in image but rather in symbol. I know it is traditionally endorsed so there is no changing it but I would think there are better ways to do this than a hand coming out of a cloud which just reinforces all kinds of stereotypes.

Perhaps, but there is biblical precedent in that kind of figurative language to speak of God. At that point one could also argue that imagery of the "Ancient of Days" could be acceptable on a similar basis, via the 7th chapter of Daniel. I acknowledge the matter is grey rather than black and white. Ultimately, for me, the question is how we are communicating our theology here. Is there a danger in the "Ancient of Days" imagery that might lead to errant ideas where God is "a bearded old man with a robe", and if so does that itself warrant a very cautious use of it? Whereas I think the symbols such as the eye or hand of providence is more easily recognizeable for their symbolism rather than as direct representation.

I'd argue that we shouldn't use direct representation, indirect symbols are more acceptable.

Of course the Father can never be truly be captured in image. Christ is the image of the invisible God but I think this is more to do with the incarnation than anything else. Scripturally we made in the image of God too but we understand this more abstractly than our physical characteristics. Violated the 2nd commandment has a lot of intent in it and a statue or painting is not inherently the problem. The post-exodus Israelites were somewhat predisposed to idolatry and the 2nd commandment was made under this context. Although I can't speak to the early church but today modern western civilization is pretty abstract and our spiritual battles tend not to be about wooden or stone idols any more so I can't see an image or carving of God the Father really in violation of the 2nd commandment because it's not relevant to us anymore. We look at it as art and really nothing more... however there are religious trappings that still capture this predisposition and value power in "things" which can be harmful when projected to images of saints or of God. We still need to be careful but I certainly is less of an issue and this is only for western thought... there still are other cultures where these values to abstain from these images would still be wise.

I don't think images that show the Father are idolatrous. I don't want it to be seen as though that has been my position. My position has been that it is theologically errant/problematic. I'm not worried about idolatry here, my concern is that we are conveying bad theology in doing so. I consider myself an Iconodule, Iconoclasm is heretical; but I also think there are good reasons why there have been certain rules surrounding icons and other sacred images. Because icons are supposed to draw us into what they convey, and thus icons, like any other form of theological communication, should have some rigor to its language.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because the Holy Spirit came in the forms of a dove and tongues of fire, we can depict Him. Because of the Incarnation, we can depict Jesus. Also because of the Incarnation, we can depict the Father. Why? Because Jesus is the Father's son by nature. Also by nature, Jesus is "in the image" of the Father.

That being said, if it's "blasphemous" to depict the Father in a human way in art, then surely it's equally as blasphemous to describe Him in human ways? But Scripture references the strong right hand of God- it even suggests that He has wings. We know better than to believe that Scripture is describing God as He appears (it's using human characteristics to help describe His nature), so why can't we hold artwork to that same standard?
word playing and twisting

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Icons of the Hospitality of Abraham, most famously perhaps is the one by Andrei Rublev, are pretty commonly understood as symbolic for the Trinity. The story is a fascinating one because here it declares that YHWH appeared to Abraham, then describes three visitors--it's not hard to see why in Christianity we have come to see the story in a Trinitarian way. The image is quite beautiful showing the three guests seated around a table in communion, a rather brilliant way to illustrate the unity and relationship of the Trinity.

-CryptoLutheran

that is interesting but as the text unfolds it is clear that only one identifies as the LORD and the others two do not. It becomes more apparent in v22 saying "The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD" then as you follow the account we learn that only 2 men, identified as angels, visit Lot and his family so although not all together explicit in the text it does become clear that 1 of these men was YHWH and the other 2 were angels.

This awkwardness may simply be a matter of cultural differences of how people are respected. It would appear the most respected member of the party becomes the identity of the whole party which would be consistent in an honour/shame culture where the lower rank members have no or little identity. What is important is the visit from YHWH not the his entourage with him. Any individual focus on these other men would take away from the honour of the most respected guest and any honour given to any members, such as feeding or general care for them, is giving honour to the most respected guest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Technically it is not canonical to depict the Father directly. My Church some years back was told by the Archbishop to change an image on the iconostasis because it was improper and now Rublev's Trinity is there.

Rublev's Trinity is interesting because it technically depicts the Angels who visited Abraham who have been interpreted as being the Trinity visiting Abraham, yet the text is not clear on that. The Icon likewise is unclear on this point to yet the imagery clearly evokes that of the Trinity (two angels, one wearing the colours Jesus wears in iconography, facing the 'Father').

A more controversial depiction of the father is the Sistene chapel's creation of Adam. Technically it should never have been allowed since it is so direct and unambiguous as to who the people depicted are. I wouldn't know the justification for that painting other than it's good art.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps, but there is biblical precedent in that kind of figurative language to speak of God. At that point one could also argue that imagery of the "Ancient of Days" could be acceptable on a similar basis, via the 7th chapter of Daniel. I acknowledge the matter is grey rather than black and white. Ultimately, for me, the question is how we are communicating our theology here. Is there a danger in the "Ancient of Days" imagery that might lead to errant ideas where God is "a bearded old man with a robe", and if so does that itself warrant a very cautious use of it? Whereas I think the symbols such as the eye or hand of providence is more easily recognizeable for their symbolism rather than as direct representation.

I'd argue that we shouldn't use direct representation, indirect symbols are more acceptable.

I appreciate and support the spirit of your post saying that "the question is how we are communicating our theology" as indeed this is the more important subject matter here. But I don't see a arm sticking out of a cloud an example of "good theology" but one rather riddled with stereotypes and perhaps a misguided perception of who God is as much as a old man can be. Although it may still be a symbol it communicates a message of this disconnected God up in the clouds that helps out when needed and I don't see such a great leap visualizing an old bearded man attached to that arm. I am reminded of cartoons where God sticks his hand out from the clouds to stop something from falling or help a person up, now admittingly the cartoon was probably influenced by the symbol (certainly not the other way around) but it still seems to miss the point. I don't know what the "best" alternative is as a quick google image search showed symbols of God the Father that all take advantage of anthropomorphized features of God such as a crown which implies a human head or an eye which is a human characteristic. Perhaps identify God as a human actually best and scripture certainly takes it's liberties in doing the same, even the name of "Father" is a very human presentation of God. I've never approached God the Father using an image other than Christ. Without Christ we cannot approach the Father so it all goes through the Son and I don't like images of hands coming out of clouds to point to the Father, it just feel so limited, almost to dishonouring levels to show God this way.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The interesting thing about the story, however, is that the text declares here that YHWH came to Abraham. There are several instances where we behold these kind of angelic theophanies. For example, the burning bush which Moses encountered, did Moses encounter God or an angel or "angel"? In other instances we see a figure known as the "Angel of YHWH" who is itself called YHWH. The implication being, perhaps, that an "angel" is not always an angel.

-CryptoLutheran
I understand the Christophany theory, I just disagree with it. God the Father, because he is spirit, uses angels to manifest his presence -- they are actual angels. But it is truly as if God is there.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That icon is controversial, but I see it quite a bit.

It is accepted that one of the three was the Son of God. Genesis 18:1 says God appeared to him. He worshipped one and referred to Him as Lord. They weren't all angels.
I'm familiar with the Christophany theory, but I don't believe it. The three were actual angels. The Father, who is spirit, manifested himself through the angel of the LORD. It's as close as you can get to seeing God, but you don't actually see him; you see the angel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stone Axe

Jul 6, 2018
Kentucky
✟16,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd prefer he wasn't pasty white. He could at least be very dark from so much time outside.
It says his robe was woven from the top throughout, without a seam...maybe he didn't get much sun :)

I believe Paul was clear in his preaching, the Godhead is not to even be thought of in these terms, not with art or man's device..Pauls message was so clear to those of his time, even the craftsmen that made the religious figurines feared they would go out of business because of Paul's preaching. If Paul wasn't so clearly against images and such, then they woulda just made little Jesus figures and cashed in on the movement.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd prefer he wasn't pasty white. He could at least be very dark from so much time outside.
I go back and forth.

Sometimes I'm just nostalgic and love the pictures of Jesus I grew up with simply because that is the vision of Jesus I first loved.

Sometimes I want a Jesus that is historically accurate, and I'd prefer to see him dusty, gritty, and sweaty since he's out there in the Middle Eastern sun. I'm sure he didn't wash his hair every day like modern westerners either.

And yet other times I feel like Christ comes to each of us in a way that we can understand. At these times, I enjoy seeing a black Christ, an asian Christ, even a woman Christ.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0