• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'm Sorry but Christianity Ruined My Life

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I deleted it all. I'm suffering and don't know what to do now. I'm made to feel that maybe its too late for me now but i don't know.

Helping other people reach their goals and dreams is always the solution.
Without suffering pain, our heart stops beating. Those who take a lot
of morphine discover this fact, too late.

"Being grateful" is also the solution for blame.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, if you go into the original language that word hate really means to love less. We put God first, everything else is second. The theme that runs through the bible isn't found in how God acted on certain peoples who acted against his own or how He acted even against his own who act against Him, but rather the grace of How He acts towards those who agree with Him or who disagreed but turned back to Him. There is grace and mercy for those who walk with God in agreement with Him. I would submit to you that Christianity did not ruin your life but rather you don't understand it at all, plus you just want to do what ever it is that you want to do kind of like the rest of the world does.

Life isn't just about this flash in the pan we live here on earth, but it's eternal. Do you want to be eternally with God or against God and pay the eternal consequence accordingly ?

You don't need to dump the bible and Christianity, you need a good teacher who can instruct you on what's in Christianity and the bible for you. Not the least is eternal life with God. He doesn't want you to hate your family but love them less than Him. English translations are not perfect, sometimes you have to dig a little and get into something like Strongs concordance to see some of the variables for certain words.

• Useful
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I deleted it all. I'm suffering and don't know what to do now. I'm made to feel that maybe its too late for me now but i don't know.

Psalm 61: "Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
5 For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.
6 Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations.
7 He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.
8 So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows."

Jonah 2: "Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,
2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.
7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the Lord: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.
8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the Lord.
10 And the Lord spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land."

• Agree
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

:heart: It's NEVER EVER too late. Standing in for you and praying. I've been there. God is BIGGER and more POWERFUL and infinitely more GRACIOUS and MERCIFUL than we could ever fathom, sister. We all flounder. The enemy is having a field day, dear one. Praying that God quelches this bully and shoos him away, and that God grants you peace and healing. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Listen FTF, just turn to God through Jesus Christ. Make that connection in your mind and remember that God is always for you and not against you, He loves you more than you can know, loves us more than we can know. Sometimes we forget this fact. Do a search and look up some encouraging scriptures for people who feel down and let those words speak to you.

Sometimes things don't go so well ( we all will have tribulation in this world but God said to be of good cheer for He has overcome the world !) We want to be in Him and Him in us. I can have anxious moments and I have a set of papers in my bible I pull out ever night with 9 certain scriptures and 9 accompanying prayers I use before I go to sleep. I read one set a night, sometimes two. And I pick a chapter a day to read from the bible. Maybe you could try something like that.

But don't doubt God, He hasn't made any mistakes. We may not understand his ways but He is for us who are for Him. Simply turn back to Him in a simple faith in Him, tell Him you are confused but you agree with Him. And see if that doesn't ease your pain a bit and some answers start coming your way...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your title says Christianity ruined your life. Here is one scripture about what God's word says Christianity is >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

If we obey God in His peace, there is no way this can ruin our lives. But > if we do not obey Jesus >

"without Me you can do nothing" (in John 15:5).

• Agree
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's never too late in Christ. Nothing is impossible with God.

Apparently you deleted your original post, but I gather your experience with "Christianity" was hurtful. It can be when we approach it with misunderstanding. This is why Jesus tells us to remain in His word, so the truth can set us free (Jn 8).

Hebrews 11:6 tells us that God is pleased when we trust that He is good and wants to save us. Rather than get tied up in a form of loveless legalism, it might be better to focus on the basic goodness of God and His love for you. There is no greater expression of this love than Jesus' sacrifice for you, to reconcile you back to the Father.

Maybe spend some time in Romans 8, or Ephesians 1, or the Psalms, and let the goodness of God wash over you.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ruined like this?

John 12:25
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

John 15:19
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1 Corinthians 4:11
Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling place; 12 And labor, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: 13 Being defamed, we entreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the off scouring of all things unto this day. 14 I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you."

Matthew 5:3
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 6:20
“Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. 21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. 22 Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. 23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets. 24 “But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. 25 Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep. 26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

2 Corinthians 12:10
That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Matthew 10:22
You will be hated by everyone because of Me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith

1 Thessalonians 3:7
Therefore, brothers and sisters, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith. 8 For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord.

That feeling that you don't belong in this world? It's because you don't belong to this world. Paul wanted to move on, but chose to remain. God says above all perseverance is the key. It's a war of attrition, with the benefit of knowing who wins in the end. May that be our strength in a life time of trial.

• Useful
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

Nyoka bigsby

Oct 29, 2019
Stewart
✟8,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hello there, I was not able to see your original post. But based on your title I know how you feel. I don't want to jump to conclusions but when you say christianity hurt you? Are you talking about christian people around you, christian family members, the church or The word of God. I've experienced being hurt by the church in my life and misunderstanding the gospel. There was a very low point in my walk with God that I almost turned away from Him. My christian life started going downhill as I was filled with bitterness and hate/burn out to what had been done to me and struggling to remain holy. Fast forward 2 Mts later I was suffering from the effects of stress and horrible panic attacks and agoraphobia it was terrible. During that time of suffering I felt that God had rejected me and I was scared that I had committed the unpardonable sin, which only increased my anxiety. Long story short that experience only revealed to me the truth of the gospel and I started to understand who God was and how much He loves me and died to save me. When I suffered I know that he was nearest to me because it says so in his word
Psalm 34:17-18: "The righteous cry and the Lord hearth and delivered them out of all their troubles. The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart: and safety such as be of a contrite spirit."
There's a difference between understanding the gospel and just being a Christian. Even in this low point God is there, He's right along with you, be honest with Him even if there's some anger, be transparent with God. Anyway may God bless you, I will keep you in prayer

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 27, 2019
Ottawa
✟8,173.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not the type of Christian who splashes bible passages at someone who is suffering because they learned about the dark side of man-made Christianity the hard way. We need real action oriented people support, not words on a page and walking away. If someone has a heart attack, do you quote scripture, or call 911? Same idea.

I've been contending with this problem for years now. I've played the jerk, and I've played the nice guy. But I do agree with you 110% that Christianity does ruin lives. It's not supposed to as per bible indications, but it can. And I wish I had a concrete solution to all of it, but I'm still working on it.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I missed your original post. I really don't know what's going on, but I feel your suffering is real.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
To the people who threw Bible verses at this member..you probably were thinking that you were doing the right thing but it wasn't. This probably made him feel worse. I know it actually made me angry. I turned away from religion because it made me feel worse.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FightTheFlesh its not what anyone says here.. Jesus is real. No.. talk to Him from your heart.. tell Him everything you feel. Cry out to Him.. No one on this planet came and died just for you.. for GOD so loved the world He gave His only son.. that who ever believes in Him shall not die but have every lasting life.

He came died as if you were the only one that would ever believe. Yes .. He came for you. No one loves you like Him. Its what HE says.. not me not any one else. His WORD is life to those that find it. John is a really good book to start in. Or start over. If you get lost.. go back to the start. Just focus on HIM and His word! Christ.. will never make fun of you ever talk negatively about you. And will always back up what He says with His word. How we know its HIM. Toss out the word then man can say anything and call it truth.

See try not to let feelings thoughts dictate you. He loves you.. no matter what you did do.. His love never changes. Yeah.. His arms are always open.. no.. just fall into His arms for He will NEVER EVER let you go!

See the fact is.. if its to late for you? Then its to late for all of us. What we get stuck at is..its NEVER us.. its ALL Him. We put on HIS armor... we have HIS peace.. we have the Joy of the lord.. HIS joy. On and on.. it has always been HIM!

I am confussd how posting verses is "TOSSING" as someone said but.. this was written for you..for all that love Him "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's never too late. Take it easy, calm down. We are here for you, many of us have likely felt similarly, and you are not beyond hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
... I gather your experience with "Christianity" was hurtful. It can be when we approach it with misunderstanding. ...

Also: when "it" (i.e a bunch that call themselvesn"church") approach US with misunderstanding.

Upvote 0