katelyn

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2003
✟17,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:hug: I'm praying for you that the appointment will go well. I can understand the fear, I think it doesn't go away until you are able to feel the baby move on a regular basis (which I'm not quite to that point yet). You always have to wonder what's going on in there...all we can do is trust God and let him handle our fears!

Upvote 0

alaskamolly

Queen of the Tundra
Jul 17, 2004
The Great North
Visit site
✟1,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've had four babies so far that have managed to evade their first "listen-to-the-heartbeat" attempt. It just depends on how deep they are nestled down in that uterus, AND how deep down that uterus is nestled. Mine is one of the wierd kinds that is tipped backwards (and they SAY that women who have that usually have a hard time concieving...apparently not a problem for us--^_^ ). So my baby's heartbeats usually never show up the first try!

All that to say, if there's no heartbeat, just mellow out and wait. If you still *feel* pregnant and continue to show signs of being so, it's probably just a case of a low-snuggling baby, nothing more. I know it's really hard to mellow out your first time around...I was a total nutcase, personally...but if a voice of experience helps a bit, there's rarely anything to get freaked out about...and really, whether there is or isn't, getting totally stressed out doesn't do anything but steal your peace, anyhow! :)

I had my first appt. for this current baby (when I was at 12 weeks) and we tried for a heartbeat, but didn't get a durn thing...

Since this is the fourth time this has happened to me, I didn't worry a bit, though. Plus, the fact that my belly has started swelling and I'm still feeling as pregnant as ever (as in, over-emotional--HA!), tells me that somebody is a'growing in them thar hills! :o) Well, ok, not "hills" yet, but give my scrawny body five more months, and there'll be a big mountain! ^_^

But all the same, I hope you hear that heartbeat too! That's just the best...that beating little conga drum, pumping away. First time I hear it, with each child, I always start to cry... 'Course, I get pretty sappy when I'm pregnant...but crying over a little precious heartbeat is hardly sappy...it's LIFE, God-planted and God-knitted, and I'm a chosen one--I am the vessel for carrying this Somebody...it's what I was made for...

Ok, rambling is over (gee, I'm really rambly today!)... Time to get back to the Real World and get to work!!!!!!!!!!!

Love in Him,
Molly

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
im not far along enough to hear the heartbeat...but we are gonna get an ultrasound...and see it... i know it will be there but since i miscarried...i am scared for this one...but i know God is in control no matter what happens..

Upvote 0

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟32,653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plus you also have to know what you are listening for, thank goodness I am a vet assistant and have done doplars for surgery on animals, I sometimes hear the heartbeat before the doctor does. Drives my hubby nuts. After hearing the baby for the first time at 13 weeks and every visit there after I am getting a bit more comfortable at appointments. Stacey I totally know what you are going through, remember I was in the same boat not that long ago. But I am sure that everything will be just fine and you will be able to see your baby and the heartbeat. It will show up on the ultrasound as a white dot blinking, at least that is what my baby's heart beat looked like on the ultrasound.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just one thing to keep in mind whenever you go in to see the heartbeat for the first time, if you have a tilted uterus, you may not see your baby until you are between 8 to 12 weeks.

I was told I had a blighted ovum because no baby could be seen despite the fact that gestational sac was so big and my hcg's started out really low. I turned down the D&C because I felt I needed to experience the miscarriage to accept it. They kept monitoring me with transvaginal ultrasounds and finally when I was 8w5d's, they found my baby. The doctor and I were both stunned. I had just had an u/s right before I turned 8 weeks and there was nothing but the gestational sac. That baby is now 17 months old. My dates could not have been off even a day because I left the state the day after I conceived and when I got back, hubby was gone with the military. And, that is another thing with a tilted uterus, your dates can look off by as much as two weeks during the first trimester but they look right on in the second trimester when the uterus is pushed back into a normal position. And, the uterus can change position from pregnancy to pregnancy so you can see your baby at 6 weeks one pregnancy and then 8 weeks the next.

Since my experience happened two years ago, I've talked with many women who report the same thing. A couple of us started a website that collects these stories and some women were 11, 12 and 13 weeks before they could see their baby.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share this just on the off chance you do not see your baby. There is always hope.

Looking forward to hearing all is well.

Upvote 0

Jengi

Jan 31, 2004
✟8,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I had an ultrasound at 6wk 4days and they found our little one with no problem, heartbeat and all. (I also have a tilted uterus.) I have had 3 now, all transvaginal and they have always found the baby really easily. Take a video tape with you just in case. They gave us pictures on our first ultra sound and told us to bring a video tape the next time, so we have 2 on tape but I sure wish we had gotten that 1st one too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i posted in a new thread about my appt.

The doc said all looks well, but instead of being 9 weeks she said baby measures at about 8 weeks. So...i am going back in a few weeks to make sure he/she is still growing as should be.....

but we did see the heartbeat!!!!!!!

Upvote 0