I'm really interested in what you folks have to say about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
Sounds like a good long cargo skirt is just the thing for monasteries, perhaps? Or a denim skirt? I can't imagine wearing pants at a monastery, but then I've never been to one.
Yes, skirts are a must....long skirts. (I can't imagine doing full prostrations in a shorter skirt...or one that has a slit!) I think I saw the kind of skirts you're talking about in JC Penney the other day, and thought they would be very appropriate.

I've thought about making my own skirts and headcoverings....but I don't have a sewing machine, nor do I really know how to sew anymore. It's been so long since I've attempted to make anything! I wonder if sewing is like riding a bike? That reminds me too....I taught myself to crochet last winter and I started an afghan that I never finished. I should dig that out and finish it.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Winter time is a good time to make an afghan.

I like to curl up by the fire and crochet.

Officially it's winter, December 21, 2003.

Sewing has changed. Now they have these new computerized machines. I had a Sears Machine but the plastic button holer broke. So I had to buy a new machine - more plastics.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Photini said:
Yes, skirts are a must....long skirts. (I can't imagine doing full prostrations in a shorter skirt...or one that has a slit!) I think I saw the kind of skirts you're talking about in JC Penney the other day, and thought they would be very appropriate.
Yeah, I just ordered a couple of skirts from JC Penney, one sort of a stretch twill kind of fabric, and the other more of a denim. They have the zippered pockets, etc. These both, I think, will be perfect for full prostrations. The only services I've been to that have involved prostration were during Lent. I was wearing pants for those. I'm hoping my godmother and I can go to a monastery for a weekend this coming semester.

I've thought about making my own skirts and headcoverings....but I don't have a sewing machine, nor do I really know how to sew anymore. It's been so long since I've attempted to make anything! I wonder if sewing is like riding a bike? That reminds me too....I taught myself to crochet last winter and I started an afghan that I never finished. I should dig that out and finish it.
I've been trying to re-learn how to sew, myself. I used to be pretty good at it but I was trying to repair something recently and did an awful job. Apparently tying proper knots in the end of the thread is not something at which I excel.... Wal-Mart's fabric section usually has a lot of how-to books on sewing and all that kind of stuff.

And start crocheting again! I can't crochet to save my life, but my sister says it's really fun. She crochets blankets for a charity that gives them to homeless people and also crocheted a blanket for a friend of hers who is recovering from cancer. She even made me a hat for Christmas (already gave it to me) and a blanket for my dad.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
And start crocheting again! I can't crochet to save my life, but my sister says it's really fun. She crochets blankets for a charity that gives them to homeless people and also crocheted a blanket for a friend of hers who is recovering from cancer. She even made me a hat for Christmas (already gave it to me) and a blanket for my dad.
Yes crocheting is really fun. I guess after I bought this computer many of the other things I used to do to fill my time fell by the wayside. I don't think there's an Orthodox website I haven't seen yet....(yes, i might be exaggerating just alittle bit there...but not much.)
There's also a trend with the women in my family that I have tried very hard not to fall into....and that is getting into little fads and starting many projects that you never finish. After mom died we had to go through so much stuff that she started and never finished....cross-stitch, ceramics, sewing, quilting, coupon clipping, scrap booking, flower arrangements, and oh so much more. It was absolutely heart-wrenching to throw that stuff away, but I knew better than to keep it, because I will never finish it either.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife is 25 years old and about 5'8" and she doesn't seem to have a problem finding nice, modest clothes. Obviously there's different definitions of "modest", but I've only ever suggested one item that she might want to drop from her wardrobe. To church, it is always ankle length skirts, but "out and about" she usually wears pants or jeans (not tight) and she looks well dressed, neat, but still "fashionable" and not "frumpy."

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nicodemus said:
My wife is 25 years old and about 5'8" and she doesn't seem to have a problem finding nice, modest clothes. Obviously there's different definitions of "modest", but I've only ever suggested one item that she might want to drop from her wardrobe. To church, it is always ankle length skirts, but "out and about" she usually wears pants or jeans (not tight) and she looks well dressed, neat, but still "fashionable" and not "frumpy."

It's hard to find nice ankle length skirts without the stupid slit, low rider or tight fitting look. Where does she buy hers?

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
chanter said:
It's hard to find nice ankle length skirts without the stupid slit, low rider or tight fitting look. Where does she buy hers?
I have no idea...I could certainly ask. Define "low rider" though.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
chanter said:
That is a skirt which rides low and shows your belly button.
She definately has low rider skirts then. However, she doesn't show her belly button/stomach. Her shirts/sweaters cover everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
chanter said:
The problem I have with those "low riders" is that when I make a prostration, my shirt rides up and exposes my back side. The priest doesn't like that and neither do I.
Hmmm. I haven't heard her complain about this. I just assume everybody else's noses are on the floor so they wouldn't be able to see it even if it is happening.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nicodemus said:
Hmmm. I haven't heard her complain about this. I just assume everybody else's noses are on the floor so they wouldn't be able to see it even if it is happening.

It is when we individually make prostrations before the Icon just before leaving during Great Lent. When we all make prostrations as during the Presanctified Liturgy then most of us have our nose to the ground.

I have noticed other women having difficulties also. Some purposely wear a coat or a very long sweater jacket so that they can be more modest.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
chanter said:
It is when we individually make prostrations before the Icon just before leaving during Great Lent. When we all make prostrations as during the Presanctified Liturgy then most of us have our nose to the ground.
Last Lent, in order to keep my sanity, I figured, if perchance, anything was showing of mine by accident that shouldn't be showing during my prostration, no one ought to be looking around there in the first place... ;)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
Last Lent, in order to keep my sanity, I figured, if perchance, anything was showing of mine by accident that shouldn't be showing during my prostration, no one ought to be looking around there in the first place... ;)

LOL God sees all

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.