I'm really interested in what you folks have to say about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Without telling you poeple how I feel. I'm really interested in what thoughts come to your head when you see this banner.

http://stanosheck.com/Modesty.html

ModestyBanner2.jpg

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Andreas said:
Without telling you poeple how I feel. I'm really interested in what thoughts come to your head when you see this banner.
I could see myself wearing the clothes of the girl on the left... not so sure about the ones on the right... :D

I've actually been to this website before... I have a thing for traditional-ish kind of clothing. Some of the clothes here are a little "hard-core" for me, but some are all right. Still don't think I'll be caught dead in a swimsuit with a skirt, though... ;)

http://www.tznius.com/ (the one on the left) actually has a lot of clothes I like. I think they make clothing to comply with orthodox Jewish clothing/modesty standards. Some of their headscarves are really pretty, but I can't afford most of their stuff.

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
I could see myself wearing the clothes of the girl on the left... not so sure about the ones on the right... :D

I've actually been to this website before... I have a thing for traditional-ish kind of clothing. Some of the clothes here are a little "hard-core" for me, but some are all right. Still don't think I'll be caught dead in a swimsuit with a skirt, though... ;)

http://www.tznius.com/ (the one on the left) actually has a lot of clothes I like. I think they make clothing to comply with orthodox Jewish clothing/modesty standards. Some of their headscarves are really pretty, but I can't afford most of their stuff.

I think "The Crown" look is pretty neat.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Andreas:

The first thought that comes to mind is pilgrim dress - puritan look. However I prefer it.

One day for our fall homeschooling party, I made a prairie cap and a matching apron with an attached bib to wear over a plain long brown skirt with a turtleneck blouse. We had invited the fire department for lunch. One fireman saw my outfit and thinking I was still single, asked me if he could have a date as he failed to notice my wedding ring. He apologized and said I had a lucky husband. I think that girls have to realize that many guys appreciate modest dress -- it brings out the gentlemen in them.

Frankly, I like modest clothing - and most of these clothes are not too "muslim" looking.
Some of the ladies in my church wear long skirts and modest clothing to church. Most however are affected by the Hollywood mileau in which we live.

Thank you - I might order from some of these companies. The long skirts and jumpers are reasonably prized.

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
Dear Andreas:

The first thought that comes to mind is pilgrim dress - puritan look. However I prefer it.

One day for our fall homeschooling party, I made a prairie cap and a matching apron with an attached bib to wear over a plain long brown skirt with a turtleneck blouse. We had invited the fire department for lunch. One fireman saw my outfit and thinking I was still single, asked me if he could have a date as he failed to notice my wedding ring. He apologized and said I had a lucky husband. I think that girls have to realize that many guys appreciate modest dress -- it brings out the gentlemen in them.

Frankly, I like modest clothing - and most of these clothes are not too "muslim" looking.
Some of the ladies in my church wear long skirts and modest clothing to church. Most however are affected by the Hollywood mileau in which we live.

Thank you - I might order from some of these companies. The long skirts and jumpers are reasonably prized.

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Glad you found some stuff on the sites you liked.:)

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
chanter said:
A lot of these clothes look like things I'd like to wear to church. But my parents didn't let me buy formal clothes for a looooooong time... Past the age of 13 until I left for university, I owned exactly one dress and it was black so I could wear it for playing in concerts or funerals (people in my family die more often than get married). My parents aren't poor, either: just weird.

I'm trying to build up my wardrobe with some nice clothes. I have about four "church-worthy" outfits now. I'm trying to get up to eight or ten as I save the money. (I think my parents are under the impression that if I don't have any nice clothes, they can stop me going to church, that's why I am always saving up to buy my own. :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
chanter said:
Can you sew?
I used to be able to sew pretty well by hand, but I'm about 9 years out of practice. I was actually thinking about sewing some of my own clothes, now that next semester I will finally have my own room at school, since it takes some room to do that sort of thing. (I can't imagine a roommate being too terribly thrilled with having straightpins all over the place.)

Some of those modest clothes places offer patterns and I might check those out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
I used to be able to sew pretty well by hand, but I'm about 9 years out of practice. I was actually thinking about sewing some of my own clothes, now that next semester I will finally have my own room at school, since it takes some room to do that sort of thing. (I can't imagine a roommate being too terribly thrilled with having straightpins all over the place.)

Some of those modest clothes places offer patterns and I might check those out.

If you find some good patterns - post it here.

I searched and bookmarked several sites that Andreas gave us in that link. Some had long skirts and jumpers for $17 to $25 and that is very reasonable.

Don't forget - fabric stores usually have great discounts between Christmas and New Years. I like the rayon challis for skirts, but flannel underskirts are great under jumpers.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
A lot of these clothes look like things I'd like to wear to church.
Me too. I'm also always on the lookout for monastery-appropriate clothes. By that I mean clothes you can wear to the monastery that are modest but that you can work in and move freely in, and not worry about getting dirty. Lots of times when we visit the monks and especially the nuns, we help work around the monastery....cleaning, planting, etc.
It is very hard to find a good head covering in stores too....those thin scarf things just don't cut it...they're too squirrley and slip down. But bandanas are too thick and impair my hearing, making everything sound muffled and like I'm in a box.

Most of my sized clothes in dept stores are too tight, or too showey. Dont shirts come in anything other than mid-rif? Good grief.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Photini said:
Me too. I'm also always on the lookout for monastery-appropriate clothes. By that I mean clothes you can wear to the monastery that are modest but that you can work in and move freely in, and not worry about getting dirty. Lots of times when we visit the monks and especially the nuns, we help work around the monastery....cleaning, planting, etc.
It is very hard to find a good head covering in stores too....those thin scarf things just don't cut it...they're too squirrley and slip down. But bandanas are too thick and impair my hearing, making everything sound muffled and like I'm in a box.

Most of my sized clothes in dept stores are too tight, or too showey. Dont shirts come in anything other than mid-rif? Good grief.

My bone to pick is the fact that a nice long skirt or dress usually has a slit all the way up the knees or even beyond. Then I just happen to be 5 foot 8 inches and most skirts are made for those who are 5 feet 4 inches, so the skirts I buy are usually four to six inches too short. If I buy the tall size, I have to shorten it, or it will drag on the floor. It's just better to make my own.

Have any of you found a good simple jumper pattern? I make underskirts to go with those jumpers with a front-buttoned opening. That gives more of a country look and my husband does appreciate my modest attire.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Photini said:
Sounds like a good long cargo skirt is just the thing for monasteries, perhaps? Or a denim skirt? I can't imagine wearing pants at a monastery, but then I've never been to one. I've never owned a cargo skirt, but I just ordered one from JC Penney's catalog. (My mom is letting me get some more nice clothes for Christmas. Yippee!) The other day I was with her in the mall because I said I could use some new clothes, hoping I could get some nice clothes then. She takes my arm and starts trying to pull me into Charlotte Russe, and I'm like, "Mom, not here! The clothes here are cut entirely too short! Look at the neckline on that shirt!" (When was the last time you saw a 20-year-old say something like that?! ^_^ )

Tznius.com has a lot of really nice-looking headcoverings, and they say they're pretty big for just that purpose. I think I'll buy one or two from them in basic colors that'll go with anything.

I know the feeling. I went shopping recently to find something to go out to a concert at a tavern in (the fact that I had nothing suitable already should go to show that I don't go to those sorts of places very often). It was like pulling teeth trying to find something that didn't make me look like I belonged on a streetcorner in the red-light district, if you know what I mean. :sigh: Other than that, there's only clothes I might, say, wear to a business meeting of some sort after I turn 40! Fortunately I managed to find something that looked decent and not too "prudish" if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.