I'm new, my name's Victoria, and I have a question.

Cette

IfIShallDieBeforeIWakeIPrayTheLordMySoulToTake
Aug 10, 2020
LaPorte
✟15,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello everybody! My name is Victoria. I'm new here. I'm 27 and grew up in a Christian family. I was raised Baptist although i went to a Catholic school. I don't consider myself religiously ignorant by any means, but I sure don't know all the answers, and i like to learn and to be corrected when wrong. I have a question about something I have always pondered. What in the world does it actually mean? I've never attended a church who participated in this form of worship. My fiance and I have two different opinions. He says it's when you are able to speak another language, that another nationality speaks, but you don't. I disagree. I think it's a language unknown to all of mankind. Basically "jibberish". But not exactly jibberish, I think, when the holy spirit enters you, it allows the true, unknown to man, language to communicate with God. I don't believe speaking in tongues is when for example, an only English language knowing person, is able to start speaking in, say, Norwegian, when the holy spirit enters them. Those are just examples to try to explain what I'm getting at here. I hope someone can understand my question well enough to answer. Thanks for your time. God bless all ❤️

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everybody! My name is Victoria. I'm new here.
First off, welcome Victoria! :wave:

I hope you enjoy CF. This particular section of CF is for introductions, and not questions, so I'll keep my answer brief (yes, I understood exactly what you meant).

My fiance and I have two different opinions. He says it's when you are able to speak another language, that another nationality speaks, but you don't. I disagree. I think it's a language unknown to all of mankind. Basically "jibberish". But not exactly jibberish, I think, when the holy spirit enters you, it allows the true, unknown to man, language to communicate with God.

The short answer is: you will find people on CF who agree with you about "speaking in tongues," and you will find people on CF who agree with your fiance. And yet other people think something else again. That is, it is a matter of some debate among Christians.

I could say more, but not in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

• Useful
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a person who has experienced this...

It's not anything that the speaker does...it's on the listener. The person hearing will understand with perfect clarity.
I don't really speak any language other than English. I Know only a few words and phrases in a bunch of different ones though...

But Nagi one day heard and understood everything I was talking about Jesus...he only truly understands Arabic that they speak in Egypt. He understands enough English to get by...but that's all.
I put up with him... because he's the one really having a hard time living here...and the others refused to work with him. But he's lightning fast and a hard worker.

But that one day...it was really odd and spooky. He understood everything that I was saying about God. Scared him too.

I didn't speak gibberish. Nor does he. Scared us so bad we got out of the area and talked about anything else. (As much as we could)

So...where it's common in charasmatic churches to speak that gibberish...I know nothing about it.

Upvote 0

Cette

IfIShallDieBeforeIWakeIPrayTheLordMySoulToTake
Aug 10, 2020
LaPorte
✟15,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
First off, welcome Victoria! :wave:

I hope you enjoy CF. This particular section of CF is for introductions, and not questions, so I'll keep my answer brief (yes, I understood exactly what you meant).

The short answer is: you will find people on CF who agree with you about "speaking in tongues," and you will find people on CF who agree with your fiance. And yet other people think something else again. That is, it is a matter of some debate among Christians.

I could say more, but not in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.
Okay I'm sorry about that, I couldn't find a "make new post" on the other forums for some reason. I'm still learning, thank you for the welcome and letting me know

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay I'm sorry about that, I couldn't find a "make new post" on the other forums for some reason. I'm still learning, thank you for the welcome and letting me know

The last thread we had on "speaking in tongues" and related topics was this: Convince me of Continuationism.

It ran for 689 posts, but didn't really come to any helpful conclusion, I don't think. It simply reinforced the fact that some people believe in "speaking in tongues" and some don't; and the people who believe in "speaking in tongues" have different ideas about what it is.

If you only want opinions from people who believe in "speaking in tongues," you could try the Pentecostal/AoG subforum: Pentecostal & Assemblies of God

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello everybody! My name is Victoria. I'm new here. I'm 27 and grew up in a Christian family. I was raised Baptist although i went to a Catholic school. I don't consider myself religiously ignorant by any means, but I sure don't know all the answers, and i like to learn and to be corrected when wrong. I have a question about something I have always pondered. What in the world does it actually mean? I've never attended a church who participated in this form of worship. My fiance and I have two different opinions. He says it's when you are able to speak another language, that another nationality speaks, but you don't. I disagree. I think it's a language unknown to all of mankind. Basically "jibberish". But not exactly jibberish, I think, when the holy spirit enters you, it allows the true, unknown to man, language to communicate with God. I don't believe speaking in tongues is when for example, an only English language knowing person, is able to start speaking in, say, Norwegian, when the holy spirit enters them. Those are just examples to try to explain what I'm getting at here. I hope someone can understand my question well enough to answer. Thanks for your time. God bless all ❤️
The Bible describes those who spoke in tounges, as speaking in languages which they never knew. But they did speak in actual languages, which people from those countries understood. So we never find anyone speaking in "jibberish", God sent His Holy Spirit to indwell the Apostles and enable them to preach the Gospel in Gentile languages so the Gentiles could hear the Gospel in their own language.
The gift of speaking in foregin tounges/languages, was exclusivly given to the Apostles. We don't find it anywhere else in the Bible, God gave the Apostles certain gifts such as the power to cast out Demons. We don't find any evidence that these gifts were ever given to anyone else but the Apostles.
The Holy Spirit would never suggest that we speak to Him in some kind of uninteligentalable language. We are actually encouraged to pray out loud at all times, the Holy Spirit wants the powers of darkness to hear your prayers. We become untouchable to the Demons when we pray out loud, it shows them that they have no power over us as the One in us is much greater than the one who's in the world.

Upvote 0

Aryne09837

Aug 10, 2020
Sydney
✟8,604.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's quite interesting that you and your fiance are talking about this. I find this quiet intriguing myself. Actually from what I learned from a previous Bible study they looked into Acts 2:1-8 where they spoke about the Pentacostal Spirit and explained about the logic of it as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome to Christian Forums. I pray you find the answers you seek on here. We are a friendly bunch and offer many different opinions, but we all strive for the same goal and come from the same tree. God bless you in your search for answers!

EDIT:
And welcome Aryne to CF too!

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I think that it is wonderful that you are talking with your fiance about your faith and his faith.

My wife and I talk regularly about such things. We too ponder on some of the mysteries of things that aren't clear. But we are much older and have a different set of things we ponder.

Moreso we wonder how to inspire younger people to step up and lead with commitment and steadfastness. We search the scriptures for inspiration in this subject...I'm not the leadership type but am a supporter of those who are. We both are. My wife loves following my leadership in this household. You probably will like following your fiance's leadership too.

I remember that at first it made for some interesting times as I never demanded servitude from my wife...I simply asked that she give me the leadership role. And that totally confused her. The only thing I ever really had to put my foot down about was going to church on Sundays.
She balked, whined, and fussed. Soon enough she was dragging me there. All her friends are there.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Welcome to CF .... will you and your husband be attending church together? Important.

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Greetings, Victoria, and welcome to CF.

This is actually a tricky question, because in the early stages of prayer you will often be praying in your own power, i.e. in gibberish that is not actually any known or existing language. Yet as the Holy Spirit begins to take you over later during prayer, the Spirit is the One who begins to speak through you, and you will notice a pronounced difference. The volume gets louder and more forceful, and the wording becomes more foreign, dynamic, complex and fluent.

But make sure you have had a genuine Baptism in the Holy Spirit first. Only if you have experienced the real thing would you be able to tell the difference, because you would not have yet had the Spirit actually speak through you to know.

God bless, and welcome again to the forum.
Hidden In Him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome. :)

IMO it's gibberish, period, and none I have ever seen/heard has anything at all to do with the Holy Spirit, but quite to the contrary.

Why? First off, as you say there are two types of tongues, one can be interpreted and understood by several different language speakers, while the other, supposedly only God or the Angels can understand. How convenient a thing to fool people with only the latter of those two.

So I ask myself, why is it, it's always the one that cannot be understood, hence cannot be proven real that is spoken and never the type that can be proven real? If any of these people are truly under the influence of the Holy Spirit, why not just once simply bring several verified different language speakers in to the room but keep them separate, and see if they all hear the same thing? But no, they NEVER do that because they are fakes, churches that draw people into their church with the promise of extra special powers, and in turn fill their offering plates with their money.

That's enough for me, but briefly, If these people have gifts and can do things through the power of the Holy Spirit as they claim, then why aren't they raising people from the dead, doing healing in public, and other such miracles with the proper authorities available to prove any attempt will be real? Well, they don't do that because they cannot, and if they tried their fake ways, they would be proven a charlatan.

It's all a trick... they do what cannot be proven, and they don't attempt what can, when they should be able to do it all. And the basis behind it is power. The congregation actually believes their own gibberish is real because even they cannot prove it is or is not, so they let themselves get caught up in a "Spiritual" coma/mind control started by a church leader, they gibber, and it makes them feel special/powerful, or more in touch with God. And again the lie also makes the church seem more Godly/powerful, so it grows to a monetary power, while not a single actual miricle was ever done..

Reactions: Xenophon
Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I recommend reading;

https://www.amazon.com/Orthodoxy-Religion-Future-Seraphim-Rose/dp/188790400X

It has a good section on the modern history of this 'gibberish' kind of tongues and how it's a new form of spirituality in contradiction with the history of the Church. Indeed, dangerous sects like the Montanists spoke in such ways.

And it is easy to find online for free as a pdf.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! Speaking in tongues is one of the many gifts the Holy Spirit gives those who are in the Body of Christ. If you want to know more about this gift, please read ACTS 2 on the day of Pentecost. This was the first account of this gift ever recorded. It plainly tells us that tongues is a language and not gibberish. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a language unknown to all of mankind. Basically "jibberish". But not exactly jibberish, I think, when the holy spirit enters you, it allows the true, unknown to man, language to communicate with God.
Welcome to the CF. I agree with you. The Apostle Paul wrote:

1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray in my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing praises with my spirit, and I will also sing praises with my mind.

Rom 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps in our weakness. For we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words.

There is also the gift of Interpretation of Tongues, which is described in post #5.

This is an important subject and the Introduce Yourself forum is not suitable for discussing it. I suggest you start a thread in the Theology section or, even better, in the Pentecostal forum.

Pentecostal & Assemblies of God

Last edited:
Upvote 0