i'm lost, in need of advice with career etc

=Joel=

Nov 4, 2003
WA
Visit site
✟15,368.00
Faith
Christian
I’m 27 years old, I was home schooled, well, I was homed, both parents worked and I did pretty much whatever I wanted up until I was 18, then decided on my own to study and get my GED, I’ve worked construction and crappy jobs my whole life, so I decided to go back to school, well, I just got my associates degree in general education (looks great in my drawer) which has done no good for better my career.

I’m basically lost, I’ve been working at home depot for 2 years now and I’m totally sick of it, I just want to have a career, not a job, something that I can somewhat enjoy and not dread going into work everyday, something that I can support myself in and now worry about having roommates down the road.

Heres the thing, nothing really strikes my attention school wise, I only find that the bad outweighs the good in certain careers fields, and I have no luck finding jobs were I stand now.

I pray and pray and ask for guidance from god, maybe that something will across me that I will enjoy, or potentially go into, maybe god will show me something I like, or bring something to me…..but nothing, I just feel lost, I feel like I’m going no where, like I’ve been in the same place in my live for 5 years while everyone around me moves on, gets married, graduates, moves away, gets great jobs etc, and I’m still in the same situation, and I’m tired of it…i've thought of being a missionary just because money etc means nothing in life, i dont know, just lost….any wise words or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:wave: :hug:=Joel=,
hello! blessings!! i have an idea for you. most community colleges and cities have career centers. places where you can get skill testing, make resume', network, get counselling with a career counselor, use their phones and internet etc., ..... & i have never know any of them to charge money. God bless you!! :groupray:

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Hey there Joel!

Encouraging you to spend more quality time with God in prayer and Bible study! His Word, a lamp unto your feet, a light unto your path! So the more of His Word you hide in your heart, the brighter your path will be! Jesus certainly is the Way, the Truth, and the Life! He surely is the Way for you to experience True Life! Strive to deepen your relationship with Christ and then you will enjoy more meaningful relationships with others, as well as gain more clearer direction! You wanna know God's Will for your life, then surrender yourself into His good Sovereign Hands. Stoke your passion for Jesus and He will lead you to fulfilling your Divine Destiny! :D :thumbsup: :prayer:

Here are some other Scriptures to hearten you...

Psalm 27:13-14 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD...

Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟23,457.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Look at your interests. Maybe there is a career in that. ANything in the medical field will be a good bet as far as growing opportunities going into the future. Do you like computers, all kinds of jobs there. Police work is always in demand if it suits your temprament. You might be able to find an online interests test that would match you with something well suited to your personality and interests.

Also are you willing to move where the jobs are. I had to move 75 miles to a better area.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you care to answer some qustions, I may be able to be of some aid... (I used to do this for a living)

What 3 jobs would you rather die than do and why?

Tell me about something that you did in your life that you really enjoyed doing, and thought you did well. (Does not need to be anything that sounds like a career, and it can be from when you were very young) Take your time on this one - make it an essay.

Answer ony of the folloiwng you care to - one or two word answers are fine.

Do you work best by yourself? As part of a close working team? Part of a team but you do most work alone?

Do you like working with people? Helping them? teaching them? guiding them? listening to them? Do you like to be the one with the answers? Do you like touching them?

Do you like running with your own ideas? Improving on existing ideas or systems? Keeping things running - systems or things? Are you good at figuring out what the problems are?

Do you like having someone elese structure your work for you? Do you prefer to structure for yourself? Do you prefer clear, measurable goals or more opened ended situations?

What, if any, academic areas have you been good at and enjoyed?

Any particular skills? Interests? Dislkes?

PM me if you prefer.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In addition to going to community college for career testing, and interests testing, I suggest you seek guidance from your pastor or elders at your church concerning discerning your spiritual gifts. When we are using our spiritual gifts, not necessarily in full time ministry, we feel a deep sense of fulfillment.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
=Joel= said:
I’m 27 years old, I was home schooled, well, I was homed, both parents worked and I did pretty much whatever I wanted up until I was 18, then decided on my own to study and get my GED, I’ve worked construction and crappy jobs my whole life, so I decided to go back to school, well, I just got my associates degree in general education (looks great in my drawer) which has done no good for better my career.

I’m basically lost, I’ve been working at home depot for 2 years now and I’m totally sick of it, I just want to have a career, not a job, something that I can somewhat enjoy and not dread going into work everyday, something that I can support myself in and now worry about having roommates down the road.

Heres the thing, nothing really strikes my attention school wise, I only find that the bad outweighs the good in certain careers fields, and I have no luck finding jobs were I stand now.

I pray and pray and ask for guidance from god, maybe that something will across me that I will enjoy, or potentially go into, maybe god will show me something I like, or bring something to me…..but nothing, I just feel lost, I feel like I’m going no where, like I’ve been in the same place in my live for 5 years while everyone around me moves on, gets married, graduates, moves away, gets great jobs etc, and I’m still in the same situation, and I’m tired of it…i've thought of being a missionary just because money etc means nothing in life, i dont know, just lost….any wise words or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Dear Joel

You said: "I've thought of being a missionary just because money etc means nothing in life.

Maybe you don't recognize what you just said or the WISDOM you shared.

This sentence falls into the qualities needed for you to be a Missionary.

What are you waiting for?

Scared?

Need others opinions to plan your life's work?

Do you believe that you would of thought of that idea without inside knowing you Qualify?

First and foremost I would like to suggest you RUN to the bookstore and BUY a book titled: THINK AND GROW RICH by Napoleon Hill. ( riches are whatever it is you want out of life. )

For reference I will Repeat a previous post:

I have 8 children. One is an attorney, One is a chemical engineer, One was shot up with the anthrax poison vaccine shots that was required in the army and will be totally disabled the rest of his life. One is a certified public accountant. Two are beauty shop operators and one is in the university.

The one that is an attorney came to me out of high school and asked for my advice as what to do. I told him right now you can have a college degree and still draw minimum wage. I advised him to go into air conditioning because he could repair, sell, operate a business, design the units or whatever his skill led him to. He did just that and became a repairman. He did NOT like his job. He got hurt and had to change occupations. We talked and I told him he has now got a chance to do whatever he wants. I did not make any suggestions but tried to let him know it should be whatever he was guided to do. Well he went back to college and decided to become a teacher. Towards the end at the university they had to take tests. He had taken all but one. I asked him why he didn't take that one and he told me it cost $90.00. I asked him if he didn't think it important to have all of his options open and he agreed. When he received the results a GREAT smile came over his face. He passed with flying colors and was accepted at ole miss law school before the pick was made for the rest.

I would of never known to advise him of that.

Now after the above novel what I want to say is that you must follow a path that only you should decide. Others with all good intent can set your life's work backward as I had done.

Seek GOD and put HIM at the head of your ship and it won't matter which path you follow because GOD will not lead you astray. He does let us make our own decisions. Beware of doing something because the herd is going that way.

ALLWAYS REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟23,457.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I've thought about becoming a monk because my social life is awful, that does not mean God is calling me there. I also have thought about being a missionary in a real dangerous place, like the muslim world, just because there is a higher chance of death. I don't think God is calling me there though. I could do good, but not the good I am meant for. So don't everybody be quick to jump on the missionary bandwagon.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
silentpoet said:
I've thought about becoming a monk because my social life is awful, that does not mean God is calling me there. I also have thought about being a missionary in a real dangerous place, like the muslim world, just because there is a higher chance of death. I don't think God is calling me there though. I could do good, but not the good I am meant for. So don't everybody be quick to jump on the missionary bandwagon.
Dear Silentpoet

It's hard for me to believe that a senior veteran with a reputation beyond repute would post such as this. I can only feel sorry for you. Is this how you got 11,970 posts?

ALLWAYS REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you )

Upvote 0
L

lapoema

Joel, I can totally understand your plight. It's a really tough scene out there, career-wise, for everybody. You've done great to get your AA. All of my friends are going through the same thing, college degrees or not! It's just so competitive.

The others gave you good advice. I don't know what I can really add. I also recommend going to a career counselor.

What I've noticed is that the degrees don't even mean as much to prospective employers as experience does. If you can prove that you have experience and leadership skills, you're in a good place. The job you've had is awesome-- it shows that you can stick with something and are reliable.

My advice to you is make a plan. Write out a possible path and steps you'll take to get there. You sound like a really hard worker, and people like you GET places... it just takes time and patience. And make sure that you make a good impression on your current employer so that he'll be a good reference for you in the future.

Also... pray and realize that God does have a plan for you. I was dealing with a very similar situation when I graduated. I just had to keep in mind that as long as I was following God's will, I was being led down the path (in the dark, maybe) toward the end that God had in mind for me. Now I'm a stay at home wife, pregnant with my first child, and as happy as I can be. :)

Best wishes to you. Know that you are not alone!!!

Upvote 0

=Joel=

Nov 4, 2003
WA
Visit site
✟15,368.00
Faith
Christian
goldenviolet said:
:wave: :hug:=Joel=,
hello! blessings!! i have an idea for you. most community colleges and cities have career centers. places where you can get skill testing, make resume', network, get counselling with a career counselor, use their phones and internet etc., ..... & i have never know any of them to charge money. God bless you!! :groupray:

I’ll have to check out some place who do skill testing, I’ve done a few online in the past with no luck really, job descriptions are just so vague and I’m not really interested in anything, just need to make more money and not happy with what I have now…thanks for your responce

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

=Joel=

Nov 4, 2003
WA
Visit site
✟15,368.00
Faith
Christian
HumbleBee said:
Hey there Joel!

Encouraging you to spend more quality time with God in prayer and Bible study! His Word, a lamp unto your feet, a light unto your path! So the more of His Word you hide in your heart, the brighter your path will be! Jesus certainly is the Way, the Truth, and the Life! He surely is the Way for you to experience True Life! Strive to deepen your relationship with Christ and then you will enjoy more meaningful relationships with others, as well as gain more clearer direction! You wanna know God's Will for your life, then surrender yourself into His good Sovereign Hands. Stoke your passion for Jesus and He will lead you to fulfilling your Divine Destiny! :D :thumbsup: :prayer:

Here are some other Scriptures to hearten you...

Psalm 27:13-14 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD...

Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I agree, but I’m beginning to think you just need to make your own goals, and god will either allow them or bless them, he is the truth and the light, but for the past 2 years he hasn’t shown me a direction to go for a career, so I don’t know…thanks for the scriptures J

Upvote 0

=Joel=

Nov 4, 2003
WA
Visit site
✟15,368.00
Faith
Christian
silentpoet said:
Look at your interests. Maybe there is a career in that. ANything in the medical field will be a good bet as far as growing opportunities going into the future. Do you like computers, all kinds of jobs there. Police work is always in demand if it suits your temprament. You might be able to find an online interests test that would match you with something well suited to your personality and interests.

Also are you willing to move where the jobs are. I had to move 75 miles to a better area.

Thought about nursing (don’t want to wipe butts and draw blood) thought about chiropractics (don’t have 70k a year for 3 years)

I have a bunch of computer certifications but it’s too hard to find a job in that field, forgot most of te stuff I learned years ago...i'd be willing to move out of state for a good career

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
=Joel= said:
Thought about nursing (don’t want to wipe butts and draw blood) thought about chiropractics (don’t have 70k a year for 3 years)

The need for people in medical fields is going to sky rocket in the coming years. And there is far more to nursing than wiping butts and drawing boood! Depending upon the job, you may never do any of that except in training. Also, look into being a nurse practitioner.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
=Joel= said:

The need for people in medical fields is going to sky rocket in the coming years. And there is far more to nursing than wiping butts and drawing boood! Depending upon the job, you may never do any of that except in training. Also, look into being a nurse practitioner.

Upvote 0