I'm Having A Bit Of A Relationship Problem; Can You Please Help?

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm Having A Bit Of A Relationship Problem; Can You Please Help?

First of all, I want to thank you fellow believers for viewing this topic.
I don't want to make this too terribly long, but perhaps I can provide enough information regarding my circumstances to where you readers may be able to help me out.

You see, I met this woman in the spring semester of college last year, and towards the end when we discovered we were both Christians, we decided to keep in touch. It seems to be we had always been attracted to one another, but it wasn't until we met up a few times later that we started thinking about things. We went on a couple dates, and soon we discovered that we shared a spiritual connection that one rarely finds in another person. Furthermore, we both seemed to be seeing "signs" that our relationship was going to be a blessing from the Lord, and one night after we had been discussing what we want out of life, our feelings were so alike that I thought "this may be the one," because I decided long before that I was going to entrust the Lord to bring me the one He wanted for me.

Here's the problem. She moved to study at UCLA. She came down to visit a couple times, and it seemed to be our spiritual connection was so great that we were soon going to fall in love. We did. We found ourselves calling one another several times a day, our conversations running seriously on what kind of a marriage we wanted, how we both wanted to become missionaries, etc. We didn't discuss things on much of a romantic level, for fear of attachment, but the heavy conversations continued until one evening where we both spilled out hearts out. We are both young and have much to do before we could think of becoming involved, and we have to make our relationship with Jesus our first priority. Yet we both agreed that if it is the Lord's will, as she said" her people would be my people, and she'd follow me wherever she went," to quote the book of Ruth. But the infatuation just got too unhealthy, and the Lord suddenly took away the obsession from both of us on the same day. However, I becoming frightened, clung to the feelings anyway after I saw what He had done. The feelings consumed we until I told this girl that we had to stop. Now we have decided to be just friends until the circumstances are available to resume the courtship process.

But here's the thing: We were intoxicated with one another, but Jesus was always the foundation of our relationship. However, it seemed to be that the enemy caused us to drink of the fruit of the vine before we were ready. The intoxication, like alcohol, caused us to behave foolishly (not sexually, but emotional purity was an issue). She got over the hangover quickly, but as we know, some people still want to drink to make the hangover go away.

I received a dream from the Lord it seems, that appears to have been confirmed by the Song of Solomon. Further, I believe the Lord has promised me this relationship. But now things are somewhat difficult. The biggest problem is that I'm an extremist, in that I'm all or nothing. I'm having a problem deiscerning whether or not these "signs" are my own creation or of the Lord. For instance, last night I was going to randomly open my Bible to see if anything ministered to me on this whole, confusing issue. When I opened it, it opened to the page where I seemed to have my Song of Solomon dream confirmed.My eye was immediately caught to a verse that says "do not stir up or awaken love until it pleases." Like the young man in the thread "Relationships and the Lord," I am also wondering if I should forget this or if this whole situation was Him saying not to get too attached. You see, if we were to get together, it is unlikely that it would be before the next three or so years. But I want to know whether or not it is in the will of God to marry this individual, because I am prepared to wait. But being the extremist I am, I wonder if I should dismiss the whole thing as my own hogwash that I subjected this poor girl to and just remain friends. Does God work like this? What shall I do?

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't really know what advice to give you, but I will share the story of a friend of mine from college:

In a nutshell, she and this guy started liking eachother. They knew eachother from their childhood-youth years, then he moved away and somehow they got back in touch with eachother when my friend was in college. They were in different states, but they noticed that they had common goals and were on the same page spiritually, etc. They wanted to make sure that they were really seeking God, so they made a commitment to not speak/communicate/anything with eachother for 6 whole months! During that time, they really studied the bible, prayed, tried to find God's will. At the end of 6 months, they spoke and found that both of them had only confirmed, through their time with God, that it was His will that they pursue a relationship.

They are now very happily married, and it's so obvious that they were chosen by God for eachother.

God can use the time and space to His advantage. I'm not saying you're definately meant to be, but I think it's worth really seeking God about. :)

Upvote 0

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jenptcfan said:
I don't really know what advice to give you, but I will share the story of a friend of mine from college:

In a nutshell, she and this guy started liking eachother. They knew eachother from their childhood-youth years, then he moved away and somehow they got back in touch with eachother when my friend was in college. They were in different states, but they noticed that they had common goals and were on the same page spiritually, etc. They wanted to make sure that they were really seeking God, so they made a commitment to not speak/communicate/anything with eachother for 6 whole months! During that time, they really studied the bible, prayed, tried to find God's will. At the end of 6 months, they spoke and found that both of them had only confirmed, through their time with God, that it was His will that they pursue a relationship.

They are now very happily married, and it's so obvious that they were chosen by God for eachother.

God can use the time and space to His advantage. I'm not saying you're definately meant to be, but I think it's worth really seeking God about. :)
I figured the answer was going to be something to this effect, but I'm just so impatient!

Upvote 0

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AnthonyForChrist said:
I figured the answer was going to be something to this effect, but I'm just so impatient!
Yeah me too, but I have to remind myself that God won't make me wait for something that's not worth waiting for! :)

Upvote 0

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
So what if He HAS promised you this relationship!? You have to seek His will first! It seems as though the relationship has consumed you and maybe you need some time away from it to focus on God and seek His wisdom and really learn to discern His will. Just because you feel God has promised you something, doesn't mean He will give it to you right away. Wait on God's timing and take some time to grow in your relationship with Christ and seek His will for YOU not just the relationship. In awhile you will find that you have a clearer perspective and better discernment.

Upvote 0

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Living4Him03 said:
So what if He HAS promised you this relationship!? You have to seek His will first! It seems as though the relationship has consumed you and maybe you need some time away from it to focus on God and seek His wisdom and really learn to discern His will. Just because you feel God has promised you something, doesn't mean He will give it to you right away. Wait on God's timing and take some time to grow in your relationship with Christ and seek His will for YOU not just the relationship. In awhile you will find that you have a clearer perspective and better discernment.
Well, now that's over, I don't know what the heck just happened. I think the enemy likes to try and ruin things by hurrying them along. If this was in the will of the Lord, it just shows that both of us are emotionally, experientially, and spiritually immature in trying to create a serious relationship. Now, denying that the feelings existed or renouncing them I feel is foolish, but you have to able to detach yourself emotionally until you feel you are able to resume things.

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If there is some reason you can't be together right now, perhaps there is a good reason for that. Maybe God has a different purpose for both of your lifes right now, He has something for you to accomplish at this stage in your lives that you (meaning both of you) could or possibly would not accomplish if you were together.

I guess my feelings are if you feel that you love each other so intensely and meant to be together to the point that God has promised you this relationship, He will deliver on His promises. Maybe not tomorrow, because God's timing isn't ours, but at the time that pleases Him and is right for us. So, if you have that confirmation that indeed He has promised this, than my advice would be to put it in His hands and let Him open the doors for what He has next for you. It may happen sooner than you expect or there may be some surprises along the way. But if you are walking with God, you can bet it will be exciting and fulfilling trip!

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Your story reminds me of Elizabeth and Jim Elliot's story (you can read it in Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot. AWESOME book that has helped me realize my need to wait for the right timing. I am also so impatient with the Lord about when that will be, but I know that even after years of waiting, even if separated for a long time, joy in marriage can be possible. I am also holding to that hope.

Upvote 0

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
I tend to be wary of "signs", dreams, and instant emotional and spiritual attachment. Those are all very fickle things. Often times we can mistake the need to cling to someone else as a sign from God that it's meant to be. Be very careful about seemingly instant emotional bonds. Just because you can talk about your feelings, share spiritual insight, or be completely honest with someone doesn't mean it's meant to be.

True love stands the test of time. It withstands the pressures of life. It's being able to look at the one you love and say "I'm sorry" even if you feel it's their fault LOL It's not the warm and fuzzy emotional sentiments that so often blind us to another person's faults or God's signs that this may not be the right person for you. Just wait it out, be patient, and see what happens. Don't rely on your feelings and signs because they will almost always lead you astray.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums