Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm trying to get lunch fed to my kids, had to clean some pans so I could bake them some fish sticks. Have them both at the table, giving them ketchup, something to drink, their vitamins..... and I discover that my son dumped his milk in the living room! I'm fed up! That put me in a sour mood and I'm irritated with both of them. I'm pregnant with my third, we've discussed having a fourth, but right now I've said to myself "I'm done, I don't want anymore kids".

Does anyone ever feel like the role of mom is really just role of caretaker without being paid for all the hard labor put into it!

HB:mad:

GolfingMom

Is gone...
Mar 13, 2006
✟20,321.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How old are they?
My kiddo's aren't allowed to walk around with their drinks. If they want to drink - they take it from the fridge and sit at the table. When they are finished - it goes back into the fridge (I do remind them) including SIPPY cups.
Having said that...I understand how you feel but just remember -children need us to help them. We are their to nuture them and love them. I always knew mothering would be a role of 'caretaker' and that includes A LOT of work.
Hope you get some rest while they nap.

Upvote 0

clycleader

Sep 18, 2006
Midwest
✟8,906.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel that way too from time to time. My son is 17 months and veryactive. Some days when you're not feeling well or just tired and they act up it's hard. Very hard. Sometimes I think he'll be an only child. I'll say a lil prayer for ya. Being a SAHM is not easy. Parenting in general is difficult, but being a SAHM, like you say is tough labor and without a tangible gain.

Upvote 0

ksdedee74

Feb 20, 2007
Kansas
✟8,887.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I totally get what you mean, there are days I really consider giving in and just letting them become TV junkies.

Mine were pushing buttons with me alot today too especially. I didn't think they would ever settle down enough to take a nap. Luckily they did now I get to go clean up. LOL But they look so sweet and innocent asleep.

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Emily's only 11 months old and I feel like that some days. Being a mommy is hard at times, but the good times far outweigh the bad. I'm sorry you're having a bad day, perhaps being pregnant is also a little to blame for being so irritated, I know I was very irritable at times when I was pregnant, but luckily I didn't have young children to take care of at the time. Maybe you should read the Bible and pray to calm yourself down, but your children do need you, they'll always need you so try not to get angry at them for being children.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm trying to get lunch fed to my kids, had to clean some pans so I could bake them some fish sticks. Have them both at the table, giving them ketchup, something to drink, their vitamins..... and I discover that my son dumped his milk in the living room! I'm fed up! That put me in a sour mood and I'm irritated with both of them. I'm pregnant with my third, we've discussed having a fourth, but right now I've said to myself "I'm done, I don't want anymore kids".

Does anyone ever feel like the role of mom is really just role of caretaker without being paid for all the hard labor put into it!

HB:mad:
:hug:

Sometimes the messes that my kids made were just so absurdly over the top that I just had to laugh about it.

I could tell you about the time that I was bathing the baby, only to find a few minutes later that the oldest (2 at the time) had squirted the entire FULL bottle of chocolate syrup onto her bedroom carpet... :swoon:

Or about the time that they both snuck into the bathroom and unrolled the entire 12 rolls of toilet paper from the package...both of them looking up at me sitting chest deep in toilet paper, lol... :angel:

Seriously, some days I felt like that I HAD to laugh about it because otherwise I'd just curl up in a fetal position and sob.

Those moments don't come very often these days, now that my girls are growing up and getting older. And would you believe me if I said that now I almost miss those moments? I do...I miss their innocent, wondrous exploration of the world around them and the way things work.

I'm sitting here thinking back on those moments and I'm tearing up :)cry: ) because my little babies aren't babies anymore...and I really truly miss those days where they truly did need me and clung to me and depended on me for so much. And I really truly do miss those absurdly memorable messes that they made...

All I can say is just take a deep breath, say a little prayer for patience, and ask God to help you find the joy in these quickly passing days of babyhood.

And another hug from a mom who's also been there done that. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

olafias

Chasing after my little crawler!
Dec 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟8,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your pictures are too funny! :)

I know there will be times when I feel burnt out as a mother, and I'm going to try to be patient and deal with my children without working mself up-if that is possible! My MIL claims that she did it and she is the calmest person I know! I've never seen her upset about anything! If I learn her secret, I'll share it with all of you!

Upvote 0

ksdedee74

Feb 20, 2007
Kansas
✟8,887.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Heatherjay I know exactly what you mean, I have to older daughters 10 & 12 ans 2 younger children. When I look at my 2 older ones I miss some of the things that my younger ones are doing. My older girls just need me so much less, I love those days when they just want a hug for no reason.

On the flip side it is best when my I get those hugs on one of those rough days with the little ones. Sometimes I know that I will miss it later but still. Did the 2 year old really have to put the whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet before she flushed it & did my son really need to pour a whole thing of ketchup out in a cup and try to feed it to his sister??

Upvote 0

Heart4Him

I'll still love you, Lord.
Jan 11, 2006
✟31,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you were having a bad day!:hug:
Kids will be kids however...we could all tell you some stories I'm sure. LOL
I agree with GolfingMom, my kids aren't allowed to take drinks or food away from the table, so that does prevent lots of potential messes.
How old are they? Maybe you could have them "help" clean up messes they make if they're old enough.
As hard as it can be sometimes, children are a blessing and we should treasure them while they are little, they do grow up very fast! Take a deep breath and try to spend some alone time resting and praying while they nap...the Lord can give us a new perspective on things.
Being a Mom is probably one of the most self-less jobs we can have. I try to remember that what I'm doing right now on an every day basis is what is forming these children into the people they will be as adults. Ours jobs are so important!

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm, well, thanks for relating to me, nothing helps more than that. After I put them down for a nap, I laid down and took a nap myself. It's worse for me when I'm stressed and I was feeling subconsciously overwhelmed by all the tasks I was trying to complete. Thanks for the support!

HB

Upvote 0
P

PilgrimChild

Ohh... thanks for sharing! I even had to show my husband, and he shared a chuckle with me. It's good you can look back and see the humour of the situation now. They are cute, aren't they? :)

My MIL claims that she did it and she is the calmest person I know! I've never seen her upset about anything! If I learn her secret, I'll share it with all of you!

Yes, please do! *waiting ever-so-patiently*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RoseofLima

LOL! Y'all are good moms who make your kids sit down to drink- my personal approach has just been to surrender to the fact that all of our flooring is over 30 years old and isn't likely to get replaced anytime soon. The spots just kind of blend in to what was there already when we got here. I'm calling it "art". Ditto for the masterpieces that somehow keep making their way onto the walls, it's quite the mixed media mural.

Stuff like this always seems to happen when I actually am trying to be an indulgent, fun mom- It's like there are cosmic forces aligned against me not being an ogre. The other night at dinner I thought as a surprise I would make all the kids root beer floats to have with dinner...within 30 seconds of coming to the table one daughter had stormed off to her room because her brtother accidentally took a sip of hers and now it had germs, and another daughter spilled hers all over herself, the entire table, and the floor. In the meantime the baby had awaken fitfully and was screaming- the toddler decided this was the perfect moment to rock crazily in her high chair, shaking the entire table (it's a chair that attatches to the table)- AND my mother called :doh:....

And for the record- I think mother in laws (in general) are all full of baloney when they talk about their children's childhoods. I only hope I can revise history so artfully someday- forgetting all of the bad and remebering how wonderful it all was :) !

Upvote 0

teishpriest

Feb 23, 2007
United States
✟8,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hehe... it's fun reading about the stuff that other people's kids do! Makes me feel better, LOL! I do have to wonder sometimes what my two year old is thinking, but perhaps it's good that I don't know!

I do think that it's better to put the kids down for their nap a little early, than to loose my cool completely. I'm not sure what I'll do when they outgrow napping!

My DD's latest thing is finding other people's toothbrush and using it, that gets rather embarassing when we are visiting someone! I can't turn around for a second!

Ah, life was so boring before kids...

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must send me some of her artwork...it's lovely!^_^ I never was one to write on the walls, I always wrote in my books...my mom hated it when I did it..but I just didn't like the color they had put on snow white's lips! I always did their makeup lol..I still have a few of the books. If Emily ever draws on her walls..oh well, nothing to get all huffy about I guess because we live in an old single wide trailer with wood panels for walls so it's not like she's going to be making it ugly or anything^_^ Now the carpet..we put new carpet in and she's already made a few messes by knocking the spoon out of my hands onto the floor..she also bled on the floor..that wasn't fun...kids will be kids, and you're right if you can't laugh then you'll just break down and cry..personally I'd rather laugh than cry any day.

Upvote 0