Visit site
✟16,998.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey, not only are you getting baptized, but now you're stealing my icons! I recognize that icon of the Chinese Martyrs you've got in the corner there! :)

John

I don't know what you're talking about....:)

And thank you for the pictures of the little ones. A couple were hard to look at.

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I don't know what you're talking about....:)

And thank you for the pictures of the little ones. A couple were hard to look at.
Unfortunately, there are other pictures that are harder to look at, but I don't know where my CD is right now. But they're such beautiful kids!

But really, the reality is harder to deal with in person, when you sit there with a grandmother who is crying over her grandson who has severe disabilities because both of his parents drink, crying for her son who can't stop drinking and for her grandson who lives in an institution with a broken body.

But the joys were many, as well. Kids are kids, and kids are always a joy :) They were interesting, random, fun, naughty, and adorable, sometimes at the same time. There are a lot of happy memories.

I just really hope to keep this going, because there are a lot of things those kids need, starting with special food for some of them. Is anyone interested in getting their parish involved?

In Christ,
John

Upvote 0

DavidBryan

El indigno siervo de Dios, el lector David
Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
✟15,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What orphanage is this? How long would it take to send things there? What kind of things could/should be sent?

God bless you in what you've done so far for these beautiful children. So wonderful to see Orthodox ministering to our own in these countries.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What a blessing to be able to work with these children I give you lots of credit for doing so John. thank you for sharing. I was in tears over those pics. I am glad though since that way I feel humbled to realize how much more important problems others face than me.
God bless,
Philothei

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear Pilgrim,

God bless you for your work! Now let me ask you, why are those kids not getting fed?

And how come theres so many babies? What are the adoption laws? Why isnt OCMC spearheading a program thru the Churches to ask for qualified couples who may be willing to adopt?

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
That poor child .. just skin and bones.

What happened?
Well, I can't say exactly, but probably a combination of a bunch of illnesses. He's one of the kids who can't really digest normal food, and so although he's fed normally, he's still basically starving. He's one of the ones that I'm desperately trying to find sponsors to pay for the special food he needs for the next 6-ish months, so that he can grow and put on weight, so that his body will be able to handle normal food.

In Christ,
John

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
What orphanage is this? How long would it take to send things there? What kind of things could/should be sent?

God bless you in what you've done so far for these beautiful children. So wonderful to see Orthodox ministering to our own in these countries.
This is the Kirovograd Children's Home, 3rd and 4th Disability Profile.

In terms of things that could be sent... Prayers are probably the most important thing, and the next time I go over, I'll be collecting stuffed animals and over-the-counter medications again, but as far as actually sending things *to* the orphanage through the mail, that's probably not a great idea. The post office there isn't very reliable.

The things that they need most now, besides prayers, are financial support (which I know people hate to hear! :)). Right now, we're trying to raise money for special food for some of the kids whose bodies can't digest normal food, and who are thus starving. Also, there are 5 kids who need operations and therapies to help them be able to walk.

If anyone can help, I'd love to be able to come and speak at your parish and bring pictures. All money that people are able to contribute would be going through a non-profit charity, the Children of Chernobyl Relief and Development Fund, based out of the States.

In Christ,
John

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Dear Pilgrim,

God bless you for your work! Now let me ask you, why are those kids not getting fed?

And how come theres so many babies? What are the adoption laws? Why isnt OCMC spearheading a program thru the Churches to ask for qualified couples who may be willing to adopt?
Hey :) The children are getting fed, but their bodies can't process normal food. What they need is a series of special feedings for a period of 4-12 months (likely around 6 months), so that they can grow strong enough to handle normal food.

The special feedings cost $100/month per child, so I'm looking for sponsors for that feeding.

In terms of adoption... Please! I will gladly help out anyone who is willing to consider adoption from the Ukraine, and will help out without needing to be paid. I can speak Russian and Ukrainian, and so I would gladly help with translating or interpreting, and also have some contacts over there in Ukraine. If anyone wants to adopt, just let me know! :-D

In Christ,
John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.