Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's not uncommon for me to run into certain objections about those televangelists and their TV programs. Anything from the opulent dress style to their well-off personal lifestyles, handling of money coming into the ministry, church accountability, teaching content, theology/heresy charges, questions of intgerity, etc.

Now my question is not directly about answering those concerns, although it does touch on it.

My question is this: How would you run your television ministry (if you had one) to address these common concerns? What things would you put into place to ensure that these questions do not overshadow the heart of the ministry and impacting people's lives?

cheers,

RF :D <><

soldout

Aug 20, 2004
✟898.00
Faith
Christian
rapturefish said:
It's not uncommon for me to run into certain objections about those televangelists and their TV programs. Anything from the opulent dress style to their well-off personal lifestyles, handling of money coming into the ministry, church accountability, teaching content, theology/heresy charges, questions of intgerity, etc.

Now my question is not directly about answering those concerns, although it does touch on it.

My question is this: How would you run your television ministry (if you had one) to address these common concerns? What things would you put into place to ensure that these questions do not overshadow the heart of the ministry and impacting people's lives?

cheers,

RF :D <><

Make it an expository, through the bible teaching ministry in order to teach the full counsil of God. And do not launch it at all if it cannot be supported by your congregation as an outreach ministry.

Have all donations go into your own congregations general fund and have it administered by your own board of elders, or whatever mechanisim your congregation already has set up for financial accountability.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good question. There is probably not anyone in this forum more repulsed by televangelists than I am. It is probably because I served on the board of one of these guys for a decade and saw what really goes on up-close-and-personal. It was enough to make a pig puke.

I think, however, there is a place for ministry on television provided you take the frauds out of it. The only way that can be done is for religious networks like TBN, Angel, INSP, etc. to adopt and enforce higher standards of accountability and practice by those ‘ministries’ who buy time on their networks. But because the networks themselves are not willing to be scrutinized by (i.e., be accountable to) those from whom they solicit funds, they do not adopt high standards because they themselves would have to live by them. Birds of a feather, they say, flock together.

The result is, the door is open to fraudulent ministry that do not have to account for their practices.

I know there are some reputable ministries on these networks willing to submit to evaluation (by membership in such agencies as ECFA and others) but I do not have the time or inclination to dig through the cr*p to find the jewel.

What would I do if I headed a religious network? I would go broke. Why? Because I would establish ethical rules of conduct, limit gimmickry and outlandish (and sometimes comical) appeals for money and require that each ministry belong to ECFA and allow their books to be inspected by reputable people independent impartial firms.

I would have few takers (most televangelists do not like accountability) and my network would probably go broke. And that’s why televison ministry is done like it is. Someday, the FCC will probably step in and require financial accountability from those who use and misuse the airwaves. It will be a stinky fight with televangelists then be calling for the separation of "church" and state on the one hand and cloaking themslves in the Bill of Rights on the other. It will be interesting.

Anyhow, it’s a nasty predicament.

Jim \o/

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jim M said:
Good question. There is probably not anyone in this forum more repulsed by televangelists than I am. It is probably because I served on the board of one of these guys for a decade and saw what really goes on up-close-and-personal. It was enough to make a pig puke.

I think, however, there is a place for ministry on television provided you take the frauds out of it. The only way that can be done is for religious networks like TBN, Angel, INSP, etc. to adopt and enforce higher standards of accountability and practice by those ‘ministries’ who buy time on their networks. But because the networks themselves are not willing to be scrutinized by (i.e., be accountable to) those from whom they solicit funds, they do not adopt high standards because they themselves would have to live by them. Birds of a feather, they say, flock together.

The result is, the door is open to fraudulent ministry that do not have to account for their practices.

I know there are some reputable ministries on these networks willing to submit to evaluation (by membership in such agencies as ECFA and others) but I do not have the time or inclination to dig through the cr*p to find the jewel.

What would I do if I headed a religious network? I would go broke. Why? Because I would establish ethical rules of conduct, limit gimmickry and outlandish (and sometimes comical) appeals for money and require that each ministry belong to ECFA and allow their books to be inspected by reputable people independent impartial firms.

I would have few takers (most televangelists do not like accountability) and my network would probably go broke. And that’s why televison ministry is done like it is. Someday, the FCC will probably step in and require financial accountability from those who use and misuse the airwaves. It will be a stinky fight with televangelists then be calling for the separation of "church" and state on the one hand and cloaking themslves in the Bill of Rights on the other. It will be interesting.

Anyhow, it’s a nasty predicament.

Jim \o/

I'd put Jim in charge :)

Upvote 0

julian the apostate

rule byzantium
Jun 2, 2004
✟1,678.00
Faith
Anglican
the following is not to start debate or to push a point of view for a specific denomination

if you ever get a chance, watch ewtn for a different way of doing religous tv

it is done with dignity reverence, it is intelligent,
informative, programming , they have programs on church history, world history, writers from gk chesterton to graham greene

they have programs devoted to nothing but prayer

agree or disagree with it, it is well done, earnest informative and worshipful and reverent

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I buy time on JIM TV?

I don't know what I'd do if I had the chance to run a TV ministry. I have a hard enough time just speaking to our church about upcoming events. Couldn't imagine actually preaching. But if I had my "Aaron", I think I would ensure that first of all, those involved with the ministry were all praying, repented sinners with a heart for God. Then I would set up a transparent accounting system, with full public disclosure. Everyone, including myself, would be on salary (no commision from book/CD sales) no greater than what is needed to meet our daily needs and a little to put into retirement. Preaching would be geared toward worshipping God, discipleship, training and equipping those who are called to spread the Word, and charity.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking about this and the Lord would really have to change me to make me want to be a televangelist :) I am more hands on. Put me in the mission field. I want to work with children. I want to be working among those with HIV. I want to be spreading God's Word into the remotest corners of the world to the poorest of the poor who do not have a television in the first place.

So, I am giving up my spot on JIM TV. Sorry, it's just not for me.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OreGal said:
I was thinking about this and the Lord would really have to change me to make me want to be a televangelist :) I am more hands on. Put me in the mission field. I want to work with children. I want to be working among those with HIV. I want to be spreading God's Word into the remotest corners of the world to the poorest of the poor who do not have a television in the first place.

So, I am giving up my spot on JIM TV. Sorry, it's just not for me.
See, I knew JIM TV would not work. Some have too much character to be a television preacher and some not enough integrity to be accountable.

\o/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would buy JIM TV time... Where do I sign up?

Anyway, I would wear the same clothing from Wal-Mart and Target that I have been wearing on Sunday mornings in church anyway. I hate wearing suits and only do so at funerals (mandatory for me) and weddings (I would ask to see if that's what the bride and groom wanted). I have done a wedding in bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian flowery shirt out by the swimming pool.

Anyway, Word-based and Spirit-led.

Money... I'd give people an opportunity to give if they wanted. To sow seed into the vision that the Lord has for the ministry in the first place.

Upvote 0

Saulball

Mar 29, 2004
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
Jim

good points. I would set the standard up front.

I would first get them to sign a form of doctinal belief of cardinal doctrines

creation of God
Fall of man
redemption of God through Christ
Christ is God
Father is God
Holy Spirit is God
Trinity
eternal life

etc. etc.

additionally, I wouldn't allow begging for offering. "sew $5K right now in to this ministry" when did God ever do that in the book of Acts? "God ell give you 100 times what you sew right Now"...come on...prosperity messages would go down the tubes...were not here to make people rich. Sure God will meet our need and some may be rich, but "don't put your trust in your wealth" paul told timmy.

I would discourage book sales for PERSONAL gain. I have no problem with it going to the ministry or whatever, but the Gospel isn't for monetary gain!

some have erred from the faith, supposing Gain is Godliness!, but I tell you Godliness with contentment is GREAT GAIN"

I would have them report financial information (SALARIES!) where it was public accessible. ADDITIONALLY, they shouldn't be wearing expensive outlandish clothes, and jewelry...I'm not saying they can't wear something nice, but come on. We are to glorify GOD, not worldliness! You can wear a nice suit, but you don't need gold cufflinks, gold plated watch...come on, your chasing some away by your own self-centered ness!

sorry, (kick soapbox away)

I'm with you

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only objective watchdog of public (think media) ministries that I know of is the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA)

Membership is voluntary and must meet seven standards which any ministry with integrity or who is not afraid of examination should have no problem meeting.

Too many independent ministries and churches, who do not have a denomination to be accountable to do not join for any number of reasons, not the least of which is a lack of financial integrity.

You can check to see if your favorite ministry is a member by clicking here. If they are not a member of ECFA, I would ask them why not.

\o/

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saulball said:
I would have them report financial information (SALARIES!) where it was public accessible.

The problem is (in the excessiveness realm) that some have been made publicly available, BUT that still has not stopped the excess of those ministries.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they were not a member of ECFA I would naturally be suspicious and would want to know how funds accepted in the name of the Lord are being disbursed before I gave them any support. You can give your money to the Lord (i.e., through his church, reputable charity organization, needy family, or one of ‘His’ ministries) or you can put it in a “purse with holes in it."

\o/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saulball

Mar 29, 2004
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
what about the booksales?

I hate it when someone makes Million of it..especially if its a gospel message!

I can see the apostle paul now! Hey guys 3 farthings for the "epistle to the galatians"..its got all the hot new topics. "how to be free from Jewish ritualism".."don't esteem one day above another"...etc. buy 2 copies and get my personal signature. come on help me take the gospel to Asia Minor!

but the book fees are MINEEEEEEE

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
soldout said:
Make it an expository, through the bible teaching ministry in order to teach the full counsil of God. And do not launch it at all if it cannot be supported by your congregation as an outreach ministry.

Have all donations go into your own congregations general fund and have it administered by your own board of elders, or whatever mechanisim your congregation already has set up for financial accountability.

That would have to be a church size of about 2000 or more.

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey SunShine,

You're right. At the rate of cost now for TV time and recording and producing and editing, etc. it would take a large congregation to get it going in order to present the message without looking "hokey".

Maybe JIM TV could slash prices so smaller ministries would be able to join in on the fun...

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree with all that has been said.

My main gripe will ALWAYS be with the "give us £1000 today and God will repay you tenfold!!!!" style messages. What's even more utterly disturbing is when they say something to the effect of, "the HOLY SPIRIT is telling me that YOU should give £1500."
Absolutely unbiblical nonsense. Yes, God wants to bless us. No, God is not a cosmic slot machine. And no, the Bible does not say that giving exessive amounts of money to ministries will automatically result in more money comming back your way. And no, the Bible does not suggest that you need to PAY a ministry for them to agree with you in prayer (believe me, I've heard this said.)

The apostles and the early Church founders would be turning in their graves.

Reactions: Shalia
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saulball said:
what about the booksales?

I hate it when someone makes Million of it..especially if its a gospel message!

I can see the apostle paul now! Hey guys 3 farthings for the "epistle to the galatians"..its got all the hot new topics. "how to be free from Jewish ritualism".."don't esteem one day above another"...etc. buy 2 copies and get my personal signature. come on help me take the gospel to Asia Minor!

but the book fees are MINEEEEEEE
I think this is different but I see your point.

When I owned a bookstore some people would criticize me for selling “the Word”. They thought it should be given away. I would tell them that the Word was free; they were paying for the paper and printing. The same could be said for books.

Didn’t Paul say that we should not begrudge those who share the gospel (from pulpits, in books, etc.) from making a living from it (1 Corinthians 9.7-11)? (granted, “millions” is a bit excessive).

David once told Araunah who offered to give the land on which the Temple was to be built, “"No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing," 1 Samuel 24.24. I like his spirit. Something for nothing is never good. But it can have its limits.

\o/

Upvote 0