✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am taking wagers here.

This OP is NOT about whether Noah's flood was global or not. I'm assuming you think that it was. This post is about wagering on what you believe.

Let proposition P1 = Noah's flood was global.
P2 = Noah's flood was not global but regional.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Are you willing to wager based on your weighting scheme?

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a bet to scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put your money where your mouth is. I am interested in finding out the strength of your belief mathematically. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability.

You can say that the moon is made of cheese. Words are cheap unless you are willing to bet on it.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wager is:
P1: 0
P2: 1
P3: 9

where P3 = "The story of Noah is a fictional story intended to illustrate a spiritual point about God taking care of God's people in times of disaster."
OK. I'll take P1 and P2.

Are you willing to wager based on your weighting scheme/odds?

Upvote 0

brakelite

Mar 12, 2009
Victoria
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you believe the flood was only regional, care to explain the existence of sea shells on mountains? What regions are you suggesting were subject to flooding, and what caused the flood? If you don't believe in the flood story as being global, what other biblical stories are you willing to toss aside, and why? I'm not taking any bets. Just asking questions.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you believe the flood was only regional, care to explain the existence of sea shells on mountains?
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. Genesis 1:2

This seems to make it pretty clear that before Noah's flood, the Earth was covered in deep water. Perhaps for a really long time.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am taking wagers here.
Ha. Taking wagers uh? Put your money where your mouth is? I know with all this you're kind of kidding but it reminds me of the devil saying if you are the Son of God you shouldn't be afraid to jump off the temple.....Come on now! Do it!

Think I'll stay off wagering WHICH DOES NOT mean I'm afraid. There's no need to do anything other than let my yes be yes (I believe this or the other) or no I don't.

I believe the flood of Noah though WAS GLOBAL. I'll just stick with that. I say P1 and I'll give it a 10. Oh...so maybe I just wagered? I don't know. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wager is P1 = 10

Based upon the Scriptures, as well as geological evidence, I have no doubts that the Great Flood in Genesis chapter 6 was a global flood. However, I would still believe that with a wager of 10 even IF there was not any geological evidence for this belief.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

I put 10 on P1.

Are you willing to wager based on your weighting scheme?

No.

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a bet to scientifically measure the strength of your belief.

If it's science calling the shots, I would lose the bet.

Where science disagrees with the Bible, science is wrong.

But they'll make it look like they are right, and so I would lose the bet in a court of public opinion.

Science can chisel data to make it dovetail into other scientific disciplines and call it "consensus".

So I'd be stupid to bet against them on their turf.

Put your money where your mouth is. I am interested in finding out the strength of your belief mathematically.

My belief is a 10.

Science can make it look like a -10 though.

You can say that the moon is made of cheese. Words are cheap unless you are willing to bet on it.

Here's a post I made some years back:

I was once asked here what I would believe if the Bible said the moon was made of green cheese.

Would I stick with green cheese, or would I go with what scientists said?

I said I would go with what scientists said, but scientists would need to change their conception of what green cheese is.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. Genesis 1:2

Genesis 1:2b And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Any helicopter pilot knows the difference between "hovered" and "moved."

(Just saying.)

This seems to make it pretty clear that before Noah's flood, the Earth was covered in deep water. Perhaps for a really long time.

Three days, to be exact.

Genesis 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Upvote 0

brakelite

Mar 12, 2009
Victoria
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I agree. But that doesn't explain the existence of shellfish on mountains... Shellfish that were a part of creation after the sea and the land were divided.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I need an explanation for this one. But I can't wait for your answer. I'll give you one US dollar.
Proceed with the bet. Then you will see.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 1:2b And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Any helicopter pilot knows the difference between "hovered" and "moved."

(Just saying.)
?
Three days, to be exact.

Genesis 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
What about before then?

Upvote 0