✟84,202.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV John 20:23
If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.

Does this mean that every Christian has the power to forgive and retain sins?

No, I don't think so. Ultimately, only God can forgive sins. Hebrews 9:22
In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.

Now, New American Standard Bible, John 20:
21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be to you; just as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
Follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. That's the precondition.
23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

they have been forgiven;
ἀφέωνται (apheōntai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Plural

Ellicott explained:
On individual words in this verse it is important to note that in the better text the tense of that rendered “are remitted” is a strict present, while that rendered “are retained” is in the perfect-present. The difference is not easy to preserve in English, but the thought seems to be, “Whose soever sins ye remit—a change in their condition is taking place—their sins are being remitted by God; whose soever ye retain—their condition remains unchanged—they have been, and are retained.

We do not have the power to forgive or retain sins at will. However, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, there are occasions when we can see the spiritual condition of another and declare their condition.

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV John 20:23

Does this mean that every Christian has the power to forgive and retain sins?

No, I don't think so. Ultimately, only God can forgive sins. Hebrews 9:22

Ephesians 1:7

Now, New American Standard Bible, John 20:

you forgive
ἀφῆτε (aphēte)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 2nd Person Plural

they have been forgiven;
ἀφέωνται (apheōntai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Plural

Ellicott explained:

We do not have the power to forgive or retain sins at will. However, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, there are occasions when we can see the spiritual condition of another and declare their condition.
Forgiving each other is in our power. And that is ultimately the meaning of this passage. Jesus also said if you do not forgive you will not be forgiven. So there is a deeper message here, even to His Apostels. Blessings.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt