If you could replace Trump today -- who?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You only get one shot, after that you're damaged goods in todays political climate.
There are exceptions, of course, such as Nixon and Reagan, but what you said is true most of the time.

Both of those men, however, had much more going for them than Romney or Kasich. Reagan lost the 1976 nomination to the incumbent President (Ford) by a handful of votes in convention while Nixon of course had previously been the two-term Vice President and lost the 1960 election by an eyelash.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty obvious that the GOP doesn't know what's good for it.
"Obvious" that Romney (a two-time loser) and Kasich (who ran but didnt do much better than Lindsey Graham, even with all other candidates out of the race except for Trump) are the best that the party can do?

• Haha
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Obvious" that Romney (a two-time loser) and Kasich (who ran but didnt do much better than Lindsey Graham, even with all other candidates out of the race except for Trump) are the best that the party can do?

I was looking past the campaign and on to the actual administration of ideas needed to address our problems.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was looking past the campaign and on to the actual administration of ideas needed to address our problems.
You are certainly right about that. The question of the OP was about doing better, not being able to get elected in order to do better. Many otherwise good candidates just cannot win the affection or trust of the voters.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
They're becoming like the Dems, marching off in all different directions.

Uh-huh. You DO realize that a good many of them never wanted Trump in office, yes?

And all that li'l drama here n' there only makes it more clear by the moment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Grant was way down the list of 'qualified' generals, but............

He did not have to win the votes of the American people in order to get that position, however.

If he did, considering the media of his day, he wouldn't have.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yeah I voted for Romney, but at the time couldn't help but second guess myself, wondering if he won, if he might have attempted to Mormonize our country using the already compromised institute of marriage, with attempts to bring acceptance to practices like polygamous marriage. My wife used to watch progams like "Sister Wives" which I saw as part of an attempt at acceptance to their "alternative lifestyle".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are certainly right about that. The question of the OP was about doing better, not being able to get elected in order to do better. Many otherwise good candidates just cannot win the affection or trust of the voters.

Elections are largely a beauty/popularity contest.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apologetic Warrior, those TV people are not regular Mormons, however. Romney is a member of the main Latter-day Saints church that has God's word for it (they say) that polygamy is not to be permitted; and it has been this way for over a century, so I doubt that Romney would be doing what you suggest here.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I voted for Romney, but at the time couldn't help but second guess myself, wondering if he won, if he might have attempted to Mormonize our country using the already compromised institute of marriage, with attempts to bring acceptance to practices like polygamous marriage. My wife used to watch progams like "Sister Wives" which I saw as part of an attempt at acceptance to their "alternative lifestyle".

I think Mitt only had one wife.

Upvote 0