✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Remarriage is allowed
scripture says otherwise(show me "spirit of the law" in the bible)..

but you're an adult and can make your own decisions. if you want to enter into an adulterous relationship and cause another woman to be an adulterous that is your choice.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sure, but since it says "except for fornication", since that is the reason, then she is not committed adultery because of the word "but" or "except".

it clearly says that the man is an adulterer for remarrying unless it for the reason of fornication.

knock it off with the obtuseness.

fornication is a form of abandonment
up and leaving your spouse has nothing to do with sexual immorality which is what fornication is.

seriously..

If your spouse reveals or converts to be a satanist (unbeliever now) are you bound to this person forever that you can't even remarry an actual christian?
Yes, you're bound to that person until they are dead as matthew 5, matthew 19, and romans 7 state.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Yes, your imaginary scenario is covered by those passages.

if the man leaves his wife and takes another woman for any other reason than fornication, he is an adulterer. doesn't matter when he decides to let his original wife know about it.

if the woman who got left behind decides to take another man before her former husband is dead, she is an adulterous. doesn't matter when she finds out she's been ditched.

that's simply scripture. if you don't like it, take it up with The Most High.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
scripture says otherwise(show me "spirit of the law" in the bible)..

but you're an adult and can make your own decisions. if you want to enter into an adulterous relationship and cause another woman to be an adulterous that is your choice.

Wouldn't be adulterous as I was the one that was abandoned.

I will take the word of a couple priests and several pastors who have dedicated their lives to reading and studying scripture of some anonymous person on the internet.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
By doing the best she can in an unfortunate situation.

Sinning is not an option.

Then I pity the poor woman and her children. She will likely be shunned by her church because she has been divorced and will eventually become a ward of the state. in the old days she would have been either locked away in a workhouse or in debtor's prison.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't be adulterous as I was the one that was abandoned.

it will be once you get with your new significant other.

I will take the word of a couple priests and several pastors who have dedicated their lives to reading and studying scripture of some anonymous person on the internet.

what are you talking about? i didn't write matthew 5, matthew 19, and romans 7.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Then I pity the poor woman and her children. She will likely be shunned by her church because she has been divorced and will eventually become a ward of the state. in the old days she would have been either locked away in a workhouse or in debtor's prison.

psalms 37:23-25
matthew 6:25-34

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
psalms 37:23-25
matthew 6:25-34

It is nice to take a few pet verses out of context. I could quote numerous verses from the Bible where believers have undergone far worse things than begging. To this day, Christians in various countries are enduring horrific persecution, imprisonment, and martyrdom. I suppose your solution is to tell them to go their way, be well, and be filled. God will take care of them.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 7:3
Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.
Well there's one thing I got from quick-reading on the right page so if you're widowed then you can remarry. Thank you
Matthew 5:32 says that one can divorce if there was marital unfaithfulness but it does not say you can start a new relationship after that or remarry right? I'll check out all the replies.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,226.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, your imaginary scenario is covered by those passages.

It's not imaginary; I told you, I know people it's happened to.

if the man leaves his wife and takes another woman for any other reason than fornication, he is an adulterer.

Agreed - if he leaves his wife to be with another woman, as I said, that is adultery.

if the woman who got left behind decides to take another man before her former husband is dead, she is an adulterous. doesn't matter when she finds out she's been ditched.

If she's the one who's been ditched - i.e he broke the marriage covenant, not her - and she remarries when her first marriage is legally over, she has not committed adultery with anyone.
Not legally, anyway. And I am certain that the Lord who knows her circumstances would not hold it against her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You can't remarry nor can you marry someone who was once married. Whenever you are married to someone you are locked in with them forever in Gods eyes. So remarrying or marrying someone who was once married is a sin.

The one exception is death. If your spouse dies, you are open to remarriage. If someone you wants to marry has an ex that dies, they are available to marry.

My mother in law is a great example of this. Her husband left her 27 years ago. He died about two years ago. Now she is marrying someone.
This is one interpretation of the scripture regarding the biblical divorce exceptions (left by unbelieving spouse and adultery). Another valid and defensible interpretation is that the verses that say “except for unfaithfulness” and “are not bound” (I.e. exceptions) apply for both divorce and remarriage. There are two main reasons for this. 1) the concept of a divorce exception makes little sense unless the concept of a biblical divorce allows for remarriage. Why would Jesus and Paul grant approval for divorces in certain situations if there was not a reason for the divorce (to make the innocent spouse free to marry). There is no purpose for this if there is no freedom to remarry, as permanent separation would be sufficient. 2) all divorces, existed dating back to the Old Testament existed for the soul purpose of allowing the spouse to remarry. There is no “divorce” without remarriage anywhere in scripture. 3) in exception scenarios, the innocent spouse has honored their vows and the Lord, as well as scripture. It does not follow they should be bound (thou shall not be bound) to their ex spouse due to that person’s sin. In addition, all the reasonings outlined by Paul for marriage in the New Testament apply to an unmarried person who is a victim of a biblical divorce.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Well there's one thing I got from quick-reading on the right page so if you're widowed then you can remarry. Thank you
Matthew 5:32 says that one can divorce if there was marital unfaithfulness but it does not say you can start a new relationship after that or remarry right? I'll check out all the replies.
Another valid and defensible interpretation is that the verses that say “except for unfaithfulness” and “are not bound” (I.e. exceptions) apply for both divorce and remarriage when the divorce meets the exception criteria. There are two main reasons for this. 1) the concept of a divorce exception makes little sense unless the concept of a biblical divorce allows for remarriage. Why would Jesus and Paul grant approval for divorces in certain situations if there was not a reason for the divorce (to make the innocent spouse free to marry). There is no purpose for this if there is no freedom to remarry, as permanent separation would be sufficient. 2) all divorces, existed dating back to the Old Testament existed for the soul purpose of allowing the spouse to remarry. There is no “divorce” without remarriage anywhere in scripture. 3) in exception scenarios, the innocent spouse has honored their vows and the Lord, as well as scripture. It does not follow they should be bound (thou shall not be bound) to their ex spouse due to that person’s sin. In addition, all the reasonings outlined by Paul for marriage in the New Testament apply to an unmarried person who is a victim of a biblical divorce.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
i guess you guys just can't deal with the fact that you can't get what you want and you're all in your feelings.

both matthew 5 and 19 say point blank "whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery". that's how the woman becomes and adulterous as she would be bringing another man into an adulterous relationship if she remarried before the death of her spouse.

roman 7 clearly states that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. if she deals with another man while her husband is still alive she commits adultery.

everyone is offering up retorts based on pragmatism and appeals to emotion but they aren't actually dealing with what these passages say.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If she's the one who's been ditched - i.e he broke the marriage covenant, not her - and she remarries when her first marriage is legally over, she has not committed adultery with anyone.
Not legally, anyway. And I am certain that the Lord who knows her circumstances would not hold it against her.

i'll have to take scripture over your feelings.

"whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

so it's okay for a female to lead a man into an adulterous relationship?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
it clearly says that the man is an adulterer for remarrying unless it for the reason of fornication.
No. It's basic english. it clearly states that the wife is not an adulterer if the reason for separation is the infidelity from the spouse.

up and leaving your spouse has nothing to do with sexual immorality which is what fornication is.

seriously..
But in that corinthians verse, it says that "if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances". We are not bound in such circumstance. Abandonment can include fornication and abuse because the spouse is throwing away his vows to his wife.

Yes, you're bound to that person until they are dead as matthew 5, matthew 19, and romans 7 state.

You can't ignore other verses that where posted here. Matt 5, 19, Rom 7 are not the only circumstances states in the Bible. Don't cherry pick.

And also, rethink your answer. A christian is tied to a satanist in marriage and has no right to break free. So if this satanist kidnaps kids, sacrifices whoever, the christian is commanded to be his/her spouse through all that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But, Jesus made a strong statement regarding divorce.
I agree. It's one thing to say that there is a new covenant or that the Mosaic Law is set aside, but if we are referring to something Jesus taught personally, that's a different matter.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
or i could tell them to go commit sin. which do you think is better?

Apparently you must believe that Rahab is frying in hell this very moment because she told a whopper of a lie.

Hebrews 11:31 By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish along with those who were disobedient, after she had welcomed the spies in peace.

Upvote 0