• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured If you can't re-marry then...

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by thelord's_pearl, Feb 14, 2020.

1. thelord's_pearl

thelord's_pearl Member

+144
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    ..are you allowed to have a new boyfriend/girlfriend? According to the Bible I know you can't re-marry.
    Matthew 5:31-32
    It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce. But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,289
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Remarriage after divorce implies sexual relations. It is not the marriage itself, but those relations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,991
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Not every church prohibits remarriage.

4. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    According to the Bible, all rules on how you are
    supposed to live are obsolete.

Hebrews 8:13
    In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

After you are forgiven, you decide what is right and wrong.

James 4:17
    So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

5. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+4,998
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    But, Jesus made a strong statement regarding divorce.

6. GaveMeJoy

GaveMeJoy Well-Known Member

+457
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    Saying that people determine what is right and wrong is the incorrect interpretation of James 4:17 James is saying that if you know the right thing to do, and don’t do it, that’s sin.

7. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,186
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Your beliefs would be seriously challenged by many. It depends on the reason for the divorce. God is not going to punish an innocent person for the sin of another.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+3,007
    Christian
    Married
    You can't remarry nor can you marry someone who was once married. Whenever you are married to someone you are locked in with them forever in Gods eyes. So remarrying or marrying someone who was once married is a sin.

The one exception is death. If your spouse dies, you are open to remarriage. If someone you wants to marry has an ex that dies, they are available to marry.

My mother in law is a great example of this. Her husband left her 27 years ago. He died about two years ago. Now she is marrying someone.

9. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+4,781
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    A lot of divorced people, even Christians, do remarry.
    The Bible doesn't say what should happen if your partner walks out on you and later files for a divorce without your consent. I don't know about other parts of the world, but in the UK if a couple live apart for 5 years a divorce can be granted without the other member's permission, or possibly even knowledge.

10. SkyWriting

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, that is exactly what it says. Nice work!

John 9:41
    Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no guilt; but now that you say, ‘We see,’ your guilt remains.

John 13:17
    If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

2 Peter 2:21
    For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.

John 15:22
    If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.

Luke 12:47-48
    And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

Romans 2:17-23
    But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast in God and know his will and approve what is excellent, because you are instructed from the law; and if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal?

Romans 7:13
    Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure.

11. SkyWriting

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    And we should listen without judging others.

Judgment is only for ourselves, not others.

12. SkyWriting

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    You should always do what is right, according to you.
    Even Jesus doesn't point out scriptures.

John 8:11
    She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

John 5:14
    Afterward Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, “See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to you.”

John 8:34
    Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.

Hebrews 10:26-27
    For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.

13. Kris Jordan

Kris Jordan Acts 4:12

+383
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hi thelords's_pearl,

In cases of adultery or abandonment by a spouse, remarriage is biblical. :)

14. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+794
    Christian
    Single
    I think in Biblical point of view, having relationship with sex, is marriage. Man and woman who have sex are married, because:

'For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall join to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh?'
    Matt. 19:5

15. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,186
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    God does not punish individuals for the sins another. If a divorce is on the right basis, then remarriage is fine. The most spiritual man I ever knew was married 3 times. His first divorce, and the consequences, brought him to the Lord. His second wife betrayed him and turned away from the Lord. His next wife is one of God's treasures. He passed away a few years ago. She is my co-worker in ministry. She has little interest in remarrying. She would be hard pressed to find someone remotely like her late husband.

16. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+3,237
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private

I was just wondering why "Divorced" is even an option to put here...why not just single or married or private...unless it is significant?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  17. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+9,618
    Non-Denom
    Excellent! In the 1930's a notorious gangster professed to become a Christian, but continued happily in his chosen lifestyle. When confronted about his lifestyle by other Christians he gave a very similar response to your own. Do you endorse murder and extortion as normative Christian lifestyles when the individual sees no harm in them?

18. thelord's_pearl

thelord's_pearl Member

+144
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    I added Scripture to my first post but I guess it's not valid.
    So leaving her is being unfaithful so she can divorce but where in the bible does it say you can re-marry?

Where in the bible does it say you can re-marry?
    Thank you :)

19. SkyWriting

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Only if you see me joining in. And even then you are ignorant of my motives.

Berean Study Bible
    Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

20. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+9,618
    Non-Denom
    Perhaps you could become an unwilling participant in becoming a victim of either extortion or murder. Hence, God has appointed governing authorities as ministers to curb the unrighteous deeds (yes, according to the law) of (un)righteous people (Romans 13:1-7).

13:1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; 4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. 7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.