Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chesterton would have agreed with me. If you’re bored, it’s your own fault. “There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject,” he wrote in his early book “Heretics.” “The only thing that can exist is an uninterested person.” Who is, I’d add, not only bored but boring.

When our children were small, they would sometimes tell their mother and me, in that whining, keening “I can’t bear another second of life” voice, that they were bored. This bothered my wife more than me. I would tell them that if they were bored, it was their own fault, then go back to whatever I was doing.

They’d eventually find something to do. They’d read, or draw, or build forts in the woods, or create complicated Lego structures, or bike and scooter round the neighborhood. We sometimes had to drag them away from what they were doing to get them to dinner.

Continued below.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Children are easily bored because they are too young to have spiritually and morally developed to see - or to have a clue about the existence of - the most exciting and engaging and demanding issue in the entire universe, namely: my personal vocation by God - the intention of God in my personal being - the real, personal life that is in my hands here and now: where is it heading? What am I doing here, and why, and what is the trajectory of my days, and what of this day and moment now? This next step that I am pausing now - the step that awaits me - what would God have me do?

It is amazing how extended childhood is, these days, into what one would think is adulthood.

Upvote 0