Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Liberal sources"? Heck, most of the time news outlets are merely REPEATING trump's words verbatim (you DO realize there are usually video tapes of him saying all sorts of really stupid stuff, don't you?).

Have you ever noticed that the MSM almost never plays a video clip of what he says without editing it, sometimes up to 3 times per 10 second clip? If he's saying something so terrible, then there's no need to edit his statements to suit what they wished he had said in order to make their point.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No mind reading needed. Simply reading the anti-Trump posts on this forum and watching the MSM on TV is all that's needed to find out what those people think--unless they're just bluffing, that is.
You put an awful lot of stock into me “watching MSM”.
Having been a news-junkie since before the advent of the Internet , I’d like to think that I have a good deal of discernment in what I am feeding my brain, and I can agree with you that a very large portion of the MSM is nothing more than “infotainment”.

But I also go out of my way to view “other sources” so as to “outrigger” my “views-landscape”.

Both sides “sell fear”, right now especially, but I need not buy it, from either side.
Please, do enjoy spending on what you wish and be not concerned with my news intake, thank you.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You put an awful lot of stock into me “watching MSM”.
Having been a news-junkie since before the advent of the Internet , I’d like to think that I have a good deal of discernment in what I am feeding my brain, and I can agree with you that a very large portion of the MSM is nothing more than “infotainment”.

But I also go out of my way to view “other sources” so as to “outrigger” my “views-landscape”.

Both sides “sell fear”, right now especially, but I need not buy it, from either side.
Please, do enjoy spending on what you wish and be not concerned with my news intake, thank you.

I didn't say anything about you watching it.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why? So people could say that Trump looked like he must have had a vested interest in companies that make those things and was trying to scare the public in order to make money?

Sorry, but no, that "reasoning" doesn't begin to work. To start with, he'd just sent a 17 tons of masks, ventilators, and other medical equipment to China, so he would have merely have been seen to be restocking our supply.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
" If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

Rocket science if I ever did see it.
M

Nope...just dumb ignorance...

If you don’t do any testing, you’ll have exactly the same number of cases.

You just won’t know about them...

Oh boy...

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
" If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

Rocket science if I ever did see it.
M
“If I put my head in the sand, all my problems go away!”

Same logic.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,365.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but no, that "reasoning" doesn't begin to work. To start with, he'd just sent a 17 tons of masks, ventilators, and other medical equipment to China, so he would have merely have been seen to be restocking our supply.

Got any proof for that speculation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Got any proof for that speculation?

You don't think that, after sending 17 tons of supplies to China and not having enough in the US, that getting more for American health care workers and "restocking" the national reserve -- in the time of a Pandemic -- would not be a valid "excuse?"

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You don't think that, after sending 17 tons of supplies to China and not having enough in the US, that getting more for American health care workers and "restocking" the national reserve -- in the time of a Pandemic -- would not be a valid "excuse?"

Check the facts on the subject:
"A Democratic group’s ad attacking President Donald Trump leaves the misleading impression that medical equipment donated by U.S.-based organizations and businesses to China early in the global coronavirus outbreak came from the Trump administration."

FactChecking Ad About Donating 'Our Masks and Supplies' to China

Actually, the supplies were donated by U.S.-based organizations and businesses in a humanitarian gesture at a time when nearly all of the reported cases of and deaths from the novel coronavirus were in China.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Check the facts on the subject:
"A Democratic group’s ad attacking President Donald Trump leaves the misleading impression that medical equipment donated by U.S.-based organizations and businesses to China early in the global coronavirus outbreak came from the Trump administration."

FactChecking Ad About Donating 'Our Masks and Supplies' to China

Actually, the supplies were donated by U.S.-based organizations and businesses in a humanitarian gesture at a time when nearly all of the reported cases of and deaths from the novel coronavirus were in China.

Great, the gear didn't come from the US government. I'm not sure how that really helps you, though. The fact remains, gear that was stockpiled for a pandemic -- just not by the government -- was sent to China. It was known by the end of February that the US was going to face shortages in gear; this is the time stockpilers/profiteers started clearing store shelves.

My point stands, your link changes nothing. Trump would not have been criticized for building a national stockpile, at least not seriously. There may have been a few idiots who claimed that (it seems there always are, on both sides), but they would not have been taken seriously.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Great, the gear didn't come from the US government. I'm not sure how that really helps you, though. The fact remains, gear that was stockpiled for a pandemic -- just not by the government -- was sent to China. It was known by the end of February that the US was going to face shortages in gear; this is the time stockpilers/profiteers started clearing store shelves.

Many of them were also buying stuff to send to family members in China because they were running out of supplies there. But don't worry, China returned the favor when we were the ones running out of supplies when their virus came here: A Million N95 Masks Are Coming From China—on Board the New England Patriots’ Plane

My point stands, your link changes nothing. Trump would not have been criticized for building a national stockpile, at least not seriously. There may have been a few idiots who claimed that (it seems there always are, on both sides), but they would not have been taken seriously.

Are you serious??? Is there anything Trump hasn't already been criticized for? If he had started stockpiling--anything--the headlines would be, "Trump wastes taxpayer dollars buying paper masks. Pelosi calls for investigation into whether or not Trump has secret deal with surgical mask company".

Have we seen anything other than that so far?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many of them were also buying stuff to send to family members in China because they were running out of supplies there. But don't worry, China returned the favor when we were the ones running out of supplies when their virus came here: A Million N95 Masks Are Coming From China—on Board the New England Patriots’ Plane

No, China did not return the favor, at least in this case. Instead, as the caption of the picture tells you -- these are masks Massachusetts purchased. If you really look at this case, this is one of those things that Trump does tend to be criticized for -- Massachusetts was getting desperate because they'd make a deal to buy equipment only to have the Federal government come in and outbid them after Massachusetts had struck a deal. This is the real reason the Patriot's plane was needed -- so they could take possession of the masks so they could no be outbid, and the masks rerouted.

In fact, I should thank you as you further support my case that Trump should have started stockpiling masks back in February -- as that is about when Massachusetts started trying to get masks.

Are you serious??? Is there anything Trump hasn't already been criticized for? If he had started stockpiling--anything--the headlines would be, "Trump wastes taxpayer dollars buying paper masks. Pelosi calls for investigation into whether or not Trump has secret deal with surgical mask company".

Have we seen anything other than that so far?

Let me give you a great example of why I am sure the criticism would have been minor. Trump built up a huge Federal stockpile of hydroxychloroquine, buying (from what I can find) over 30 million doses and had several more million doses donated. In fact, this is something that seems like it could have been criticized, as it led to a shortage for people who take the drug to help with their diseases, such as lupus.

Now, while I can recall plenty of criticism directed at Trump for trying to promote a drug that was not proven or tested to treat COVID-19, I can't find any real criticism for Trump building such a large national stockpile. Most agreed, including Democrats, that the drug should be tested since it appeared that maybe it would help -- based on some early, initial findings. Again, the criticism was of Trump pushing the drug based on those very early results; which have not been verified, testing has shown, so far, that hydroxychloroquine is not effective against COVID-19.

Trump, despite Republican's "persecution complex," would not have been criticized for trying to build a stockpile of masks and generators in February. This is particularly true since those who you likely would claim would do the criticizing were often working to help states get the masks and ventilators they felt they needed (such as NY and Massachusetts; thanks for helping to prove that point).

And even if he would have been criticized, that is something a good and strong leader doesn't care about -- when it is the right thing to do (as it was in this case). The criticism I can find is mine -- and not for building the stockpile but for not starting to release the stockpile to people who need the drug for its proven benefits, that can't get it because it is still in short supply because of the government stockpiling the drug.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
you lost me when you said "The "number of people who have had the virus" would be at least 10 times the number of "cases." How could the number having the virus be 10 the number of positive test results? Sounds to me like Trump is simply saying if you take more shots you score more goals. If someone else is not taking as many shots as you are they are not likely to score the number of goals that you score.
Many many many countries are testing more per capita than what the USA is doing.
But their numbers of infected per capita are way lower.

For example
USA - Confirmed cased per 1m - 4,802 deaths per 1m - 287 tests per 1m - 42,496
NZ - Confirmed cased per 1m - 312 deaths per 1m - 4 tests per 1m - 49,552
Au - Confirmed cased per 1m - 278 deaths per 1m - 4 tests per 1m - 43,651

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Many many many countries are testing more per capita than what the USA is doing.
But their numbers of infected per capita are way lower.

For example
USA - Confirmed cased per 1m - 4,802 deaths per 1m - 287 tests per 1m - 42,496
NZ - Confirmed cased per 1m - 312 deaths per 1m - 4 tests per 1m - 49,552
Au - Confirmed cased per 1m - 278 deaths per 1m - 4 tests per 1m - 43,651
Good luck.

Upvote 0