Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a speech on Thursday at Owens and Minor, a medical supply distributor located in Allentown, PA, President Donald Trump wondered whether testing for Covid-19 coronavirus is “overrated.” He then proceeded to say, “And don’t forget, we have more cases than anybody in the world. But why? Because we do more testing.”

Next, he clarified: “When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

Trump: Without Doing Covid-19 Coronavirus Testing ‘We Would Have Very Few Cases,’ Here Is The Reaction

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In a speech on Thursday at Owens and Minor, a medical supply distributor located in Allentown, PA, President Donald Trump wondered whether testing for Covid-19 coronavirus is “overrated.” He then proceeded to say, “And don’t forget, we have more cases than anybody in the world. But why? Because we do more testing.”

Next, he clarified: “When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

He's absolutely right about most of that. "Case" in the COVID-19 lingo means "positive test."

The "number of people who have had the virus" would be at least 10 times the number of "cases."

"Case" counts tell you more about testing protocols than they do about disease progression.

That said, Trump is wrong when he says "we do more testing."

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He's absolutely right about most of that. "Case" in the COVID-19 lingo means "positive test."

The "number of people who have had the virus" would be at least 10 times the number of "cases."

"Case" counts tell you more about testing protocols than they do about disease progression.

That said, Trump is wrong when he says "we do more testing."
you lost me when you said "The "number of people who have had the virus" would be at least 10 times the number of "cases." How could the number having the virus be 10 the number of positive test results? Sounds to me like Trump is simply saying if you take more shots you score more goals. If someone else is not taking as many shots as you are they are not likely to score the number of goals that you score.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you lost me when you said "The "number of people who have had the virus" would be at least 10 times the number of "cases."

We know this from antibody tests. Perhaps it's clearer if I say "The number of people who have had the virus would be at least 10 times the number of official cases."

How could the number having the virus be 10 the number of positive test results?

Because 90% of people with the disease never get tested. Mostly because they have few or no symptoms.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Trump: Without Doing Covid-19 Coronavirus Testing ‘We Would Have Very Few Cases,’ Here Is The Reaction
In fairness, I understand what Trump is trying to say. But the fact that what he means and what he actually says are two different things is cause for concern. Accusations that when he speaks (or tweets) he is often rambling and incoherent are accurate accusations.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We know this from antibody tests. Perhaps it's clearer if I say "The number of people who have had the virus would be at least 10 times the number of official cases."

Because 90% of people with the disease never get tested. Mostly because they have few or no symptoms.
OK I understand, Thanks

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yep.

My wife and I had COVID, but when we asked about being tested, we were told that because of the paucity of tests, they were being reserved, essentially, for those who needed to be admitted to the hospital.

Almost noone who didn't require hospitalization (80% of cases) ... has gotten a test for COVID to-date ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟309,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He doesn't want the number of cases to go up because he thinks it makes him look bad.

In realty, it is his refusal to deal with the crisis that is making him look bad.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
He doesn't want the number of cases to go up because he thinks it makes him look bad.

In realty, it is his refusal to deal with the crisis that is making him look bad.
Also that thing about injecting disinfectants was a bit of an issue. And trying to blame foreigners for it. Plus lying about the lack of planning from the previous administration.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Such as shutting down travel from the country where the virus originated from, only to be labeled as "racist" by his haters--the very same haters who now say he didn't do it soon enough?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Also that thing about injecting disinfectants was a bit of an issue. And trying to blame foreigners for it. Plus lying about the lack of planning from the previous administration.

The truth would be one of those things.

Upvote 0

camille70

Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟597,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If they put as much effort in to resolving the issue as they do into the appearance/optics of seeming like they are resolving the issue, we might actually make significant progress.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

camille70

Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟597,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Lack of planning from the previous administration is now a non issue. Trump proudly proclaimed that he ditched the Obama plan way back in August and has been working off his own plan all this time.

Aaron Rupar on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

You guys don’t understand President Trump at all. To me it makes sense and he is 100% correct what he said here. I am smart so I took President’s advise and injected myself with Lysol .. since then I understand and believe everything president Trump says. You guys should try that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lack of planning from the previous administration is now a non issue. Trump proudly proclaimed that he ditched the Obama plan way back in August and has been working off his own plan all this time.

Aaron Rupar on Twitter

Was that before or after he said that it was up to the states to handle?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Gee, thanks for all those liberal sources to illustrate what type of "truth" we're to believe. It explains your one-sided assertions you originally made. Too bad you still aren't seeing the source of the problem you originally identified:

Well, now you know what those things are.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Such as shutting down travel from the country where the virus originated from, only to be labeled as "racist" by his haters--the very same haters who now say he didn't do it soon enough?
It garnered the “racist” label because it only banned Chinese Nationals from entering our fair land. Infected Americans or Europeans (either passing through, or coming over from Europe) were free to spread the infection because we had no “travelers quarantine”.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0