If there was no death before the Fall...

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I guess that that little thing does not fall off the end of the DNA when the cell replicates so that there is perfect cellular reproduction.
The telomeres don't ensure perfect cellular reproduction, they basically count down to the end of the cell lineage, generation by generation. There are a host of other factors involved in ageing.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The telomeres don't ensure perfect cellular reproduction, they basically count down to the end of the cell lineage, generation by generation. There are a host of other factors involved in ageing.
Do you know how "Hairless Mole Rats" avoid the adverse effects of aging until the very end of their life cycle?

It is my understanding they are resistant to cancers and many adverse conditions.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Do you know how "Hairless Mole Rats" avoid the adverse effects of aging until the very end of their life cycle?

It is my understanding they are resistant to cancers and many adverse conditions.
No, I don't how exactly how they avoid ageing, and yes, they are remarkable in that respect.

They appear to have low mutation rates, unusually active DNA repair and defective protein disposal mechanisms, highly accurate ribosome translation, produce high levels of protein chaperones (that help maintain protein folding structure), and various other advantages - including tight regulation of telomerase expression, which protects the telomeres... All of which - and probably more - prolong the lives of their cells and cell lines.

As I said, there's more to it than keeping telomeres from fraying.

• Informative
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0