If there was no death before the Fall...

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
They grow but they aren't alive. They have no soul.
If you cut a tree down, you didn't kill it?

I don't think there are any scientists that would agree with you. As you can't demonstrate that you (or anyone) has a soul, it really can't be a criterion for life.

ETA: As I recall, most believers don't think animals have souls. Are your pets alive?

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I don't think there are any scientists that would agree with you. As you can't demonstrate that you (or anyone) has a soul, it really can't be a criterion for life.

It's possible that the Biblical concepts of life and death don't perfectly align with the scientific concepts of life and death. When Paul says that death came into the world because of sin, maybe he was not talking about what we know as biological death. Maybe he was talking about something more like spiritual death - the death of a person.

When a tree dies there is a biological death that occurs according to how we have defined biological life and death. But a person does not die when a tree dies.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know it all boils down to definition. They aren't alive as humans are. Even the word plant has to be defined. A plant could be a place of manufacturing. That's way too much to get into. I did however find a plant with a sole.

http://felcomarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/logo-sole-plants-1000.png

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Adam ate a carrot, did the plant die?
If Adam was a fruitivore, then he didn’t eat a carrot.
If the carrot grew in a clump and Adam ate only some of the clump, then the plant didn’t die.
If Adam ate most of the tuber of the carrot and allowed the remaining portion to reroot (like most children have done in school), then the plant did not die.

There are many assumptions required for a carrot to die in Eden because Adam ate it.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

ETA: As I recall, most believers don't think animals have souls. Are your pets alive?
Setting aside the whole issue of souls (and there may be some highly debated evidence that one can weigh a soul as a person dies) ...

I can state with complete certainty that cutting down a tree does not kill it. A hurricane snapped a tree in our yard in half and we cut it down to a 12” high stump. A dozen new trunks sprang from that stump which I thinned down to the largest 5 spaced around the stump. As I stare out my window, those 5 trunks form a green tree about 30 feet tall and 20 feet in diameter. Clearly that tree IS NOT DEAD.

(You may send scientists to investigate if you feel it necessary). :)

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Setting aside the whole issue of souls (and there may be some highly debated evidence that one can weigh a soul as a person dies) ...

I can state with complete certainty that cutting down a tree does not kill it. A hurricane snapped a tree in our yard in half and we cut it down to a 12” high stump. A dozen new trunks sprang from that stump which I thinned down to the largest 5 spaced around the stump. As I stare out my window, those 5 trunks form a green tree about 30 feet tall and 20 feet in diameter. Clearly that tree IS NOT DEAD.

(You may send scientists to investigate if you feel it necessary).
But it is possible to kill a tree, right? That is, a tree is alive, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes.
Lightning, Copper Nails, and Round-Up are all good candidates for the task.
And if you eat a carrot, which involve uprooting the plant since the carrot is the root of the plant, you've killed it.

Understand that there is a "IF" here. I'm not saying that Adam did eat carrots but if he did, he'd have killed it.

If Adam were to have picked an apple, would not the apple be dead? Would it not rot?

Perhaps in the garden, not. But this is the gist of the OP. How'd "no death" prior to the fall work?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
@Tree of Life, @Arc F1

I'd have thought that the OP implies biological death.

The OP is asking about biological death. But one response could be that the Bible does not claim that biological death did not exist before the fall. Perhaps the OP has misunderstood the creationist position.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
The OP is asking about biological death. But one response could be that the Bible does not claim that biological death did not exist before the fall. Perhaps the OP has misunderstood the creationist position.
I understand that. But there are some that don't agree with that. And it seems to me that the OP is for them.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
... how does the biology of that work? What keeps living things from dying?
God himself is eternal, and eternal being with his capabilities can give eternal life to whom or what he chooses.

Jesus said it God the Father is Spirit - Spirit cannot be seen - what man calls energy cannot be seen. I see God as **living energy** - capable of thought and action - and as science says - energy cannot be created, nor can energy be destroyed, such as with God the Father; but energy can change from this form to another.
Scripture indicates that the spirit is eternal, Paul said once the spirit leaves the body it goes back to the one who gave it. The spirits within these flesh bodies are eternal, living energy, given by God the Father, through Yeshua /Jesus, God the Son.

God has the knowledge to create all things seen in the universe - to plant one particular planet (earth/Eden) with seeds that brought forth life. According to scripture, Genesis 3:22, the fruit of the Tree of Life is what gave mankind eternal life and according to Revelations 22:2-3 once again the Tree of Life will give eternity to those who are granted Redemption. The fruit of the tree of life was/is for the healing of the flesh body. Just like plants, herbs are used for medicines - has been throughout the centuries of men. The fruit from the Tree of Life could be considered the cure all or the ultimate medicine - that represents Yeshua /Jesus. That's why God put Adam out and took the tree - so man couldn't eat from it again and live forever in sin.
... how does the biology of that work? What keeps living things from dying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And if you eat a carrot, which involve uprooting the plant since the carrot is the root of the plant, you've killed it.
No, the carrot is not the root. The carrot is the tuber that stores energy for the plant. Furthermore, as any elementary school science class will tell you, if you place the top portion of the carrot in water or soil it will regrow from just that little nub. I would call the carrot plant “still alive”, however you are free to describe the carrot plant as “resurrected” if you are more spiritually inclined.

If Adam were to have picked an apple, would not the apple be dead? Would it not rot?
Your analogy is like arguing that cutting off my hair means that my hair is dead ... while technically correct, you have missed the fact that the Apple Tree is just fine.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Your analogy is like arguing that cutting off my hair means that my hair is dead ... while technically correct, you have missed the fact that the Apple Tree is just fine.
So you admit there was death in the Garden of Eden. ("Technically correct ... the best kind of correct.")

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you admit there was death in the Garden of Eden. ("Technically correct ... the best kind of correct.")
No.
You would be technically correct that my hair, cut off, is dead ... but the question of whether an apple (or a leaf) has a life independent of the tree of which it is a part is more metaphysics (soul) and philosophy than science.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
No.
You would be technically correct that my hair, cut off, is dead ... but the question of whether an apple (or a leaf) has a life independent of the tree of which it is a part is more metaphysics (soul) and philosophy than science.
The act of picking an apple removes it's source of life. There is nothing sustaining it. It is dead.

The act of eating a carrot necessarily uproots the plant. Eating the root (the carrot) kills the plant.

So answer the OP. Whether or not you quibble with me on these points, no one has addressed how this "no death" thing worked.

Upvote 0